Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Yeah I know, looks like people would rather talk about how racy the thread is. Will you join me VCI and get us back on topic?

What are you feelings about this?
    I wish I had something more worthwhile to contribute, but since I played a part in getting this thread off track, I suppose I owe you my opinion on this.

One should never understate the importance of Steve Jobs, whom I think is someone with a very clear vision and an effective leader. That said, I think the company would be fine if Steve left permanently (or, yes, passed away).

The guys on the Engadget Podcast were talking about this about two weeks ago, IIRC, and they were of the opinion that Tim Cook had done a great job during Steve's previous leave.

Look at what happened to Microsoft when Gates took a step back, and then finally left. Ballmer might be a weirdo, but he's launched a lot of new products during his tenure, and a good many of them have been successful. Not all, but a good amount. And Microsoft, while sort of a dinosaur, sure isn't hurting for business.

Bottom line, I think Apple's shareholders would lose some money initially, and I think the company might go through a year or two of stagnancy as it found its feet, but ultimately they'd resolve to continue in the direction Jobs pointed them ... hopefully to continue "surprising and delighting."
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Look at what happened to Microsoft when Gates took a step back, and then finally left. Ballmer might be a weirdo, but he's launched a lot of new products during his tenure, and a good many of them have been successful. Not all, but a good amount. And Microsoft, while sort of a dinosaur, sure isn't hurting for business.

Bottom line, I think Apple's shareholders would lose some money initially, and I think the company might go through a year or two of stagnancy as it found its feet, but ultimately they'd resolve to continue in the direction Jobs pointed them ... hopefully to continue "surprising and delighting."
    Interesting, but Microsoft has hundreds of products and Apple has only a small handful of hardware and software titles. A couple misses for Microsoft wont hurt it too much, just look at Vista. I don't think Apple can afford as many misses.

There is a unity and singularity in both the design and function of Apple products. They have a polish and are artful in the design. Not so with Microsoft. Messing with the look and feel of Apple could turn off it's customer base.
    I wish I had something more worthwhile to contribute, but since I played a part in getting this thread off track, I suppose I owe you my opinion on this.

One should never understate the importance of Steve Jobs, whom I think is someone with a very clear vision and an effective leader. That said, I think the company would be fine if Steve left permanently (or, yes, passed away).

The guys on the Engadget Podcast were talking about this about two weeks ago, IIRC, and they were of the opinion that Tim Cook had done a great job during Steve's previous leave.

I agree with you for the most part, but I disagree with the "stagnancy" bit. Apple is known for their product refreshes, and while the changes/improvements to their refreshed products might become minimal with Steve not at the helm, they are still going to improve their products year after year, and in my opinion, that plays a big role in why apple is successful.

I'm not a big apple fan, but I love my iPad. There is no doubt in my mind that apple makes great products, and I don't see that changing. Hopefully I can replace my iPad with a touchpad soon though.
    There is a unity and singularity in both the design and function of Apple products. They have a polish and are artful in the design. Not so with Microsoft. Messing with the look and feel of Apple could turn off it's customer base.
    I think that last sentence is spot-on, and I think it's very evident to everyone in the command structure at Apple. Which is why I don't think they'd ever mess with it, Jobs or no.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ
    I agree with you for the most part, but I disagree with the "stagnancy" bit. Apple is known for their product refreshes, and while the changes/improvements to their refreshed products might become minimal with Steve not at the helm, they are still going to improve their products year after year, and in my opinion, that plays a big role in why apple is successful.
    I too, would think they'd continue refreshing their existing product line. But even if they fell behind on some of the lines for a little longer than usual, they'd still be okay. It was quite a long wait between the last refresh of the old Macbook Air line and the first release of the new ones, but there were no angry uprisings in the forums I was hanging around in at the time.

Point is: I think there would definitely be a lull in new concepts and new ideas as they dealt with the change, but ultimately Apple would persevere.
    Not when you are a public figure and have a Board of Directors to answer to. It sucks being rich and famous sometimes. Hope he gets better but Apple's stock is starting to go down.
    Exactly. There's a price to be paid for making your living (in part) being in the spotlight. I feel for the guy, and do not wish illness on anyone, but to scream that he deserves privacy is pointless. He won't get it. Few folks in life get what they deserve.
    Is there anyone doing that anymore or are they just claiming to be for a free Pre 2?
    This guy right here. 14 years old, probably not old enough yet to be swayed by the "cool crowd", but I'm impressed with the app!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This is going to an all-time low. I thought the internet articles were bad, but the criticism and mockery of someone possibly dying here is just absurd and distasteful.
    I don't recall seeing anyone criticising his death. There was some criticism of how Apple fans might react to it, but that wasn't mocking him dying, just the fans.

Maybe that was what was offensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just imagine if SJ wasn't around for the past 15 years. No iMac, MBP, MBA, iTunes, iPod, iPhone, iPad. We would all have knockoffs of cassette playing Walkmen. Symbian would define the smartphone experience.
    Or, maybe Commodore would have continued on with the Amiga, Atari would have continued on with their ST line, and we'd see a world of different competitors, instead of Windows ruling them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    I've seen nothing distasteful in this tread. Get a grip. None of us are getting out of this world alive.
    At my house, we all joke around about which one of my kids are going to get our Cockatoo, Gabby. A Cockatoo is a type of parrot, the bird on the old Baretta series. They live to be about 80. She's 12 right now. The girls all tell me I have to live forever, none of them want her.

I always say that there's one thing done that's guaranteed to be fatal -being born.

None of us even know he's "on his deathbed". Time to lighten up folks.
    You know I didn't quite believe that line at first but after trying to make amends and trying to get back on topic... in a serious way mind you. I now see what you mean.

On so many levels this is ludicrous:

• It's an Internet rumor, not fact
    • Nobody is on a "Death Bed"
    • The so called "tasteless" comments are lampoons of everyone but SJ
    • This thread is about what would happen to Apple and it's ecosystem not SJ

No matter how many times I repeat this, the sensitivity trolls will come crawling back

There is an option to go to another thread if you don't like this one. Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.
    That right there in the bold. You know who you offended, right? You know who responded, right?
    Dude. We were just getting past this, and you bring it all back?
    Interesting, but Microsoft has hundreds of products and Apple has only a small handful of hardware and software titles. A couple misses for Microsoft wont hurt it too much, just look at Vista. I don't think Apple can afford as many misses.

I tend to agree with you. Plus, there is a small track record of what's happened with him leaving in the past. No guarantee the past would repeat itself, but there is a tendency, when any organization is so centered around a single individual for those "waiting in the wings" to use it as an opportunity to show what they know, only to find out they didn't know so much.

I worry about any organization that is person-centered when that person move on, especially when it happens suddenly.
    Dude. We were just getting past this, and you bring it all back?
    Sorry, I respond as I read posts. But, I did respond to the "back on track" parts as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    The Digital Audio Player was invented in 1979, the ipod came out in 2001.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I respond as I read posts. But, I did respond to the "back on track" parts as well.
    Just saw your on-topic post. I agree - it's worrisome when so much of a company is centered around a single individual.

BTW, ever hear of multi-quote?
    The girls all tell me I have to live forever, none of them want her.

Well I for one hope your girls get their wish. You are a shining star in a sea of darkness with your responses to some of the posts around here.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Hope he gets better. This is freaking rediculous. Give the man his privicy.
    I agree...the only issue is, many people believe apple's success is around Steve Jobs. People fear apple won't be as aggressive or forward thinking if he ever left the company (or worse).

I can see why its a hot topic.
    Steve Jobs would be hard to replace. When you compare Steve's sustained performance to one of his finest proteges, Jon Rubinstein, you can see there's no comparison in their relative successes.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123