1.    #1  

When we compare app stores across platforms, we tend to focus on the size of each store to determine success. Which is cool - we're users and we want as many apps to choose from as we can possibly get. For developers, though, profit potential seems to be key; if you're not making money what are you doing this for?

A few months ago, dandbj13 openly wondered why Apple's App Store leads the way in innovation. I think this chart at least partially explains it -- iOS is where the money is and its users are very willing to pay for high quality apps.

That's not really much of a surprise though. To me, the real question is what is Google doing wrong to cause them to lag behind RIM and Nokia in app revenue despite a 861.5% YOY growth?
    For argument sake, I would be interested to see how HPalm and MS fared!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by twbrooklyn View Post
    For argument sake, I would be interested to see how HPalm and MS fared!
    We don't have webOS numbers but considering how EA, Glu, and GameLoft have either scaled down or completely pulled back on their PDK releases (remember, games are easy to port), I don't think it's a stretch to say the App Catalog isn't worth publishing for.

Windows Phone 7 is interesting, though. These two slides from Xyologic indicate that, despite the smaller market, developers are actually generating more revenue from their Windows Phone 7 ports.

Android users don't seem to like paying for apps.
    Google u better be worried about webos what are the doin wrong
    Do you have a link to the full report? I'd love to check it out.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I don't have the full report but CNET covered it here: Report: Apple remains king of app-store market | Apple - CNET News
    No real mystery here. The Google App Market is extremely de-centralized. There are various methods of payment, and side markets exist from some of the most lucrative developers (e.g. GameLoft).

When Google decides that's worth getting together into a single, streamlined interface, this will change. It's not slowing down developers from flocking to it, however.
    x2

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  9.    #9  
    Mobclix has an interesting graph that shows the value of an app user based on advertising revenue:

Their data seems to indicate that iPhone users are significantly more valuable to advertisers across the board.

Mobclix Index: Monthly Value of an App User | Blog - Mobclix
    This is great news for WebOS. That chart completely repudiates the notion that the largest store wins. In this case, that happens to be true. But the second largest makes the least revenue. HP will be able to show value in their catalogue without having to reach a zillion apps.