Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Even if they may be to existing iOS users as that other article states, a sale is still a sale. And I consider 1M a success, considering that many people probably can't or won't pay AT&T's ETF, or the number would have been higher.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And I consider 1M a success, considering that many people probably can't or won't pay AT&T's ETF, or the number would have been higher.

Exactly this is what people don't understand. Most people that wanted an iphone already had it, meaning they ahve a high ETF if they wanted the same phone on a diff. carrier. Not many people i know would do that.

Wait till the i5, sales will be different. Also keep in mind AT&T allows everyone to get a new iphone every year. If you buy the iphone within the first month or two of launch you always eligible for the next one in a year. Verizon doesn't do that. So it really skews sales #s
    I don't buy that the sales were mostly to iPhone users. The data was based on the lack of a spike in one developers numbers. All that suggests is that the new customers already had the app. That could have been from an iPod or iPad.
    I thought that was what he was saying, he should have said "iOS" though and not "iPhone". The Verizon buyers were mainly iOS users who already had the app and didn't need to buy it again. I think some people may view a sale as a new customer or new buyer. But like I mentioned, if you spend money twice on the same item(as in AT&T users dumping AT&T), why wouldn't that be counted as a sale? Or even buying another iOS device, how's that not a significant sale?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't buy that the sales were mostly to iPhone users. The data was based on the lack of a spike in one developers numbers. All that suggests is that the new customers already had the app. That could have been from an iPod or iPad.
    yes i have to be skeptical tool. I have to put more credance on the numerous polls of at&t customers that said less then half would switch carriers for an iphone. And i'd assume many are in places where AT&T is crap like San Francisco.

i look at it like this. they are selling the same amount on at&t plus they've added more then the at&t customers by way of verizon. Apple should have a good amount of added customers this quarter as compared to the same quarter last year. also i'd expect many people to have no interest in paying a huge etf right now in this economy. i'm switching but i'm not going to pay a hundred bucks to do it. i'll just wait. and since i have to wait i might as well wait one month after for the iphone 5 release. Another thing was i read, i believe, the verizon ceo say well over half of iphone sales where online. Not just the presale but all. Which doesn't surprise me. I bought my pre online and my last two phones online. So it seems plausible that reports of slow verizon store sales don't tell the whole picture.

i think the idea that you'll see massive spikes in people switching just isn't likely. because most people arent' early tech adopters that switch phones every year. hell when i was on tmobile i had a chance to upgrade 8 times, i only used it once. My mom could upgrade her phone two years ago. She hasn't. And she asked me about phones before xmas. She still hasn't upgraded. my guess is you'll hear all kinds of stuff about bad sales. then when they report, i think in april, we'll find out full numbers, a growth in sales of iphones and ipads for this quarter, and people will go back to not worry about apple's sales.
    I think some people may view a sale as a new customer or new buyer. But like I mentioned, if you spend money twice on the same item(as in AT&T users dumping AT&T), why wouldn't that be counted as a sale? Or even buying another iOS device, how's that not a significant sale?
    I think technically a sale is a sale. But whether it's a net positive in the big picture sense, would depend on the perspective.

From Apple's perspective, they just want you to buy an ipod. If you buy one on AT&T then buy one on Verizon. Its still a sale of two ipods, it's just not gonna grow their market share. But it's still profit which obviously is still positive cause you bought something.

From Apple's perspective, if you are on Verizon, Sprint, etc, and did not have an iphone and switch, that's even better, cause it's a sale and a new customer increasing their market share. The first one maintains the status quo (which is still good) but the latter is growth, and that's real good.

If you're AT&T (or any carrier) and you already own an iphone and stay with AT&T and bought another iphone. It's a phone sale but it's not that special cause they make the money off the contract and they already have you contracted. They aren't making more off you unless you change to a more expensive contract. So, assuming (which it might not be) AT&T losses has to pay the same subsidy for an apple phone as a high end android phone, they don't care what you buy. What they want is new customers. It's why for so long they treated existing customers like crap.
    Well I agree that growth is good. I just meant that the "doom" over Verizon sales isn't something to worry about yet. I'm betting some were also current Verizon users. That's also not a net gain for Verizon. But the sale and locked in contract were still made and in this case, still lucrative for Verizon.

Now if any iPhone(may not be the 5 though, that would anger Verizon iPhone 4 people) gets released on both carriers around the same time, then we can talk. Because then both are on even ground.

However, it's also been proven that existing iPhone users are likely to make another purchase, so that's a bit similar to the one we have here. It will just be a carrier fight. But I also think new customers could be gained, especially if 4 inches and LTE come into play. Whichever carrier "values"(as in has to make nice for a change lol) it's customers the most will win.

A bit off topic(sorry), but honestly I'd like to see a third US carrier start selling the iPhone. The reason, to give the 2 big guys some real competition. Right now, Big Red and Big Blue are too similar. Even as they fight over who has the best iPhone, what's the difference except the radio and the no voice and data(although that matters for some)? The pricing is close. The hotspot feature only prompted AT&T to give an extra 2GB, but on both carriers there's an overcharge. Most non-US carriers allow tethering included with data. Verizon already said today, no more unlimited come summer. They are both almost exactly the same.

[COLOR="Navy"]Well I agree that growth is good. I just meant that the "doom" over Verizon sales isn't something to worry about yet. I'm betting some were also current Verizon users. That's also not a net gain for Verizon. But the sale and locked in contract were still made and in this case, still lucrative for Verizon.
    yes. but you have to consider the way verizon is thinking about that too. it definitetly is still revenue from another 2 year term of the contract. But by and large Verizon, when it plans the next few years out, isn't expecting to lose customer. They know it happens but they are banking on a certain level of customer retention so most customers staying with them is built into their forward looking outlook. Especially now when they have people locked into family plans that would be expensive to get out of. So yeah you're right. they are happy to keep you for two years. But they are also taking a lot of those customers for granted.

[COLOR="Navy"]Now if any iPhone(may not be the 5 though, that would anger Verizon iPhone 4 people) gets released on both carriers around the same time, then we can talk. Because then both are on even ground.
    yeah. that's a carrier vs. carrier thing though. It matters if you're Verizon or AT&T. But Apple doesn't care as long as someone buys. Notice they got a new apple commercial where they say iphone's on both is great. Should tell ya, They make money either way. Now if it's dumb phone to smartphone, that's a new customer and they like that.

[COLOR="Navy"]However, it's also been proven that existing iPhone users are likely to make another purchase, so that's a bit similar to the one we have here. It will just be a carrier fight. But I also think new customers could be gained, especially if 4 inches and LTE come into play. Whichever carrier "values"(as in has to make nice for a change lol) it's customers the most will win.
    oh i've no doubt they'll get customers, well apple that is. but my guess is it will take time. Like when new products get released and as people come off plans. Also with blackberry users switching too.

[COLOR="Navy"]A bit off topic(sorry), but honestly I'd like to see a third US carrier start selling the iPhone. The reason, to give the 2 big guys some real competition. Right now, Big Red and Big Blue are too similar. Even as they fight over who has the best iPhone, what's the difference except the radio and the no voice and data(although that matters for some)? The pricing is close. The hotspot feature only prompted AT&T to give an extra 2GB, but on both carriers there's an overcharge. Most non-US carriers allow tethering included with data. Verizon already said today, no more unlimited come summer. They are both almost exactly the same.
    yeah i agree. my thinking is if some of the low cost guys like sprint have all the android, iphones, blackberries and everything there will be more price competition for plans. Cause, lower cost and better service will be the only way they can differentiate themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Notice they got a new apple commercial where they say iphone's on both is great.
    Not many people realize it but that's a subtle jab at Android. Basically, what they're portraying in this commercial is: despite which carrier you choose, the iPhone delivers the exact same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not many people realize it but that's a subtle jab at Android. Basically, what they're portraying in this commercial is: despite which carrier you choose, the iPhone delivers the exact same experience.
    you think so? one i didn't know that was a big deal. Considering the way android is sold i'd figure that would be kinda expected. interestingly if what you're referring to the different skins i heard a rumor that when the honeycombesque versions of the os hit phones they are doing away with allowing people to skin it in order to keep a uniform user experience. but i saw that buried in the rumor mill months ago. So i'm sure only they know for sure if that's true.
    Well, looks like Verizon has slashed the prices on a lot, if not all, Android devices...

It begins: Verizon slashes prices on all Android phones – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

As MacDailynews.com said...

Successful platforms do not need to have prices slashed and perpetual BOGOF promotions.
    For those that like to talk raw sales number, but ignore the context of how they are getting those sales.

Meanwhile, the iPhone 4 is still being sold starting at $199 over 8 months later.
    What kind of slant did you expect from a Mac site? Did you remember that the Thunderbolt and some other phones are coming, and that maybe Verizon is clearing out old inventory?

What kind of slant did you expect from a Mac site? Did you remember that the Thunderbolt and some other phones are coming, and that maybe Verizon is clearing out old inventory?
    How is it a slant if it's true?

Remember, Apple can't make enough iPhone 4's to satisfy demand currently. At Apple's last quarterly event Steve Cook said they could have sold more iPhone 4's if they had the capacity to make more. Meanwhile, it seems there is more supply than demand for all those Android devices that Verizon has to slash the prices to clear the inventory.

In other words you don't slash prices on products that are selling well when you don't currently have a new product out that replaces it.
    They want Android people on the Thunderbolt, but still have many older Androids. Remember there's only one iPhone, but many Androids. Verizon seems to EOL earlier than they used to.

Another thread reminded me that Bionic 2 and Droid X 2 are some of the other new phones. Like I said, I believe Verizon is EOLing and clearing out the old.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/06/2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added something

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    They want Android people on the Thunderbolt, but still have many older Androids. Remember there's only one iPhone, but many Androids. Verizon seems to EOL earlier than they used to.
    This is true. Most of Verizon's phones don't even make it a year.

Another thread reminded me that Bionic 2 and Droid X 2 are some of the other new phones. Like I said, I believe Verizon is EOLing and clearing out the old.
    It's normal to EOL an old model of a phone when a newer one is coming out to replace it, but they lowered the price on 9 phones. You said three new ones were coming out.

I think that is more of the phones not selling as well since the iPhone 4 is now on Verizon and they lowered the prices so that customers that don't want to spend $199 on the iPhone have cheaper options.

As I said, businesses don't lower prices on products that are steadily selling. If the phones are steadily selling, then they will eventually sell out and then they can replace it with the new model.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I see Motorolas getting discounted for the new ones. Verizon has some kind of deal with Moto to keep churning out new phones and EOLing the old ones. We saw this last year with Droid X 1 and Droid 2. Plus they need to make room for the 4G Thunderbolt which I'm sure they can't wait to charge for data. HTC Droid Incredible is old by today's standards and needs to be discounted anyway.

When you have 10 Androids and you want more Androids, gotta sell the old inventory. What this does speak to is perhaps the overabundance of Androids, but the platform itself is NOT a failure!!! App developers only seem to recognize 3 platforms, iOS, RIM and Android. And RIM sometimes gets left out.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see Motorolas getting discounted for the new ones. Verizon has some kind of deal with Moto to keep churning out new phones and EOLing the old ones. We saw this last year with Droid X 1 and Droid 2. Plus they need to make room for the 4G Thunderbolt which I'm sure they can't wait to charge for data. HTC Droid Incredible is old by today's standards and needs to be discounted anyway.

When you have 10 Androids and you want more Androids, gotta sell the old inventory. What this does speak to is perhaps the overabundance of Androids, but the platform itself is NOT a failure!!! App developers only seem to recognize 3 platforms, iOS, RIM and Android. And RIM sometimes gets left out.
    So, in other words keep churning out a bunch of crap. Sell it to the suckers that want to pay top dollar. When they don't, lower the price and introduce the next new product. Charge a high price, when people stop, lower the price, and the sad cycle continues...

Hey, if they want to run their business that way, more power to them.

I prefer Apple's way. Most of their stuff stays the same price for a year until the next model comes out on a CONSISTENT schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    So, in other words keep churning out a bunch of crap. Sell it to the suckers that want to pay top dollar. When they don't, lower the price and introduce the next new product. Charge a high price, when people stop, lower the price, and the sad cycle continues...
    My day-1 Droid X cost less last summer than my Day 1, nine-month-old design iPhone did a couple of weeks ago. When the iPhone 5 comes out this summer, iPhone 4s will drop $100-$150 in price. Sounds just like the Android pricing to me except that Android phones enjoy a more rapid technology evolution than Apple's phones do.
    I just went back home for the week to visit family, which is at a very small place (population ~15k).

My cousin wanted iPhones for him and his wife so I went down to Verizon with him to grab three (he got one for his son as well).

While we were there, I counted 7 other people that came in and also bought an iPhone 4. It was nuts, and I was surprised. The guy said they regularly run out of stock.

Also had a few people come in and play with / ask about the iPad 2. None seemed too interested in the Xoom that was on demo on the opposite side of the store floor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12