Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82
  1.    #1  
    Android increases its apps in the official catalog three fold in nine months... there are many more that's not in the catalog.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/150k-a...ipled-9-months

    http://www.androlib.com/appstats.aspx

    Sfm Evo
    Last edited by kinster02; 02/15/2011 at 05:05 PM.
  2. #2  
    I've been able to get all the apps I need on Android. Love it!

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. #3  
    Gotta love that long tail. People keep saying "you don't need all those apps". I wonder how they would feel if there were only a handfull of apps available for our desktops/laptops/netbooks.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Gotta love that long tail. People keep saying "you don't need all those apps". I wonder how they would feel if there were only a handfull of apps available for our desktops/laptops/netbooks.
    Buy one of those junk android tablets for 200 bucks and that's exactly what you get... A handfull of apps because you can't access the android market for some reason unknown to me. Got my mother to ship it back in a hurry and get an ipad instead.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5. #5  
    true app choices are def good I had a evo for 4 months and though had a huge option for apps, I didnt need 90% of them. Also have a ipad and the same goes for that, to me quality is better then quanity, which is what HP intends on focusing on which is the right thing to do.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Buy one of those junk android tablets for 200 bucks and that's exactly what you get... A handfull of apps because you can't access the android market for some reason unknown to me. Got my mother to ship it back in a hurry and get an ipad instead.
    I'm sure I'm missing something but what does a bad tablet choice have to do with my comment? I was talking about the OP (software related) and you mention a piece of hardware you don't like?
  7. #7  
    The number 150k is a bit misleading. Android does have a lot of apps, but you can hardly call wallpapers (live or otherwise) apps. Same can be said about customizations. These are all counted in the 150k number, which makes the app number more bloated and less meaningful.

    Sure Android has tons of apps, but do you think I would get away with counting my pennies as dollars in my net worth????
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The number 150k is a bit misleading. Android does have a lot of apps, but you can hardly call wallpapers (live or otherwise) apps. Same can be said about customizations. These are all counted in the 150k number, which makes the app number more bloated and less meaningful.

    Sure Android has tons of apps, but do you think I would get away with counting my pennies as dollars in my net worth????
    No, but you could consider 100 pennies to be a dollar.

    I guess I don't have a problem with the way apps are counted in the Android Marketplace just because that's how everyone does it.
  9. #9  
    They have no way of separating apps.

    Hell, more confusion, a lot of apps have a free trial and the full app. A lot of the apps are also just unlock codes.

    They just go off the count of the entire app market. Either way, counting apps means little these days.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    true app choices are def good I had a evo for 4 months and though had a huge option for apps, I didnt need 90% of them. Also have a ipad and the same goes for that, to me quality is better then quanity, which is what HP intends on focusing on which is the right thing to do.
    Quality AND Quantity are both important. Palm only pushed the Quality over Quantity thing until they realized they needed a tail. Here is the issue. If you only need 10 apps and there are only 10 apps in the store, what happens to me and the other millions that may need a different 10 apps? Yes, we need quality. However, we need enough in terms of quantity so that all (or at least the vast majority) of us can find what we, individually, want.

    I've seen lots and lots of stupid applications for my laptop but I don't go around complaining about how many bad laptop applications there are. I simply get the ones that "I" need/want. And the fact that I can find pretty much any application I need tells me that laptops are pretty well supported. Same goes for mobile apps.

    Amazon.com sells lots of books that I consider "of low quality". I continue to shop there rather than "the little bookstore around the corner" because I know there is a higher likelihood they carry the books that I do want. If the kindle only carried the top 20 books it would be a failure. The more books it supports (even if many are crap to me) the better success it will have.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, but you could consider 100 pennies to be a dollar.

    I guess I don't have a problem with the way apps are counted in the Android Marketplace just because that's how everyone does it.
    The only reason it's annoying is that it's a talking point with more vapor than substance. Like I said, if I counted my 8,000 pennies as 8,000 dollars, it doesn't change the fact that all I have is 800 bucks. Vapor without substance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    They have no way of separating apps.

    Hell, more confusion, a lot of apps have a free trial and the full app. A lot of the apps are also just unlock codes.

    They just go off the count of the entire app market. Either way, counting apps means little these days.
    I actually don't think it matters little. If it did, you wouldn't see Apple and Google announcing their app totals. Now if you said it doesn't matter on PC's and Mac's, that'd be true. They never announce it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Quality AND Quantity are both important. Palm only pushed the Quality over Quantity thing until they realized they needed a tail. Here is the issue. If you only need 10 apps and there are only 10 apps in the store, what happens to me and the other millions that may need a different 10 apps? Yes, we need quality. However, we need enough in terms of quantity so that all (or at least the vast majority) of us can find what we, individually, want.

    I've seen lots and lots of stupid applications for my laptop but I don't go around complaining about how many bad laptop applications there are. I simply get the ones that "I" need/want. And the fact that I can find pretty much any application I need tells me that laptops are pretty well supported. Same goes for mobile apps.

    Amazon.com sells lots of books that I consider "of low quality". I continue to shop there rather than "the little bookstore around the corner" because I know there is a higher likelihood they carry the books that I do want. If the kindle only carried the top 20 books it would be a failure. The more books it supports (even if many are crap to me) the better success it will have.
    oh I def feel you, and def agree a few more options on the Quality is needed. Though when you go overboard (when fliping through pages on the Evo I had) there were alot of fluff, in there not needed. Same really goes for the app store IMO. To me HP needs to be like the movie 300, having all your great applications, then having a few apps not as great as your main quality apps (the greeks I think it was that helped the spartans), but having enough that you can have a few options. As well as keeping the excess of the same ole apps that are inferior to the good ones at a min. Really how many people rotate their main twitter app, facebook app, etc that they use freqently unless it is no longer supported and not updated by the developer.
  13. #13  
    I'm on my 3rd twitter app...sooooo.....
  14. #14  
    but mostly because i want to try out a few before i decide on the one i'm keeping.
  15. #15  
    [QUOTE=pogeypre;2870804]The only reason it's annoying is that it's a talking point with more vapor than substance. Like I said, if I counted my 8,000 pennies as 8,000 dollars, it doesn't change the fact that all I have is 800 bucks.

    The odds of this being a logical statement are about one in six billion.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Really how many people rotate their main twitter app, facebook app, etc that they use freqently unless it is no longer supported and not updated by the developer.
    Shouldn't the real question be how many people like the same twitter app or facebook app? Even on webOS I see some people prefer Bad Kitty while other's prefer Twee, etc. What's wrong with options? Do you drive the same car I drive? No? Should you?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    The only reason it's annoying is that it's a talking point with more vapor than substance. Like I said, if I counted my 8,000 pennies as 8,000 dollars, it doesn't change the fact that all I have is 800 bucks.
    The odds of this being a logical statement are about one in six billion.
    I can explain. Counting wallpapers as apps is about as honest as counting a single penny as a dollar.

    Sometimes reading the comment in context helps.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  18. #18  
    There's no denying that there are a lot of legitimate apps in the Android App marketplace but there is a lot of garbage too. I continue to be surprised at how hard it is to find a working app to do what I want to do. On webOS, I just kind of reconciled myself to getting a few new games here or there but not much as far as applications. On Android, I'm geared up with all of these things that I can do but when I actually try to put them to work, the apps aren't available or half-work or are so riddled with ads that you can't even see how the app would work to consider buying it.

    There's some good stuff out there that just doesn't even exist in webOS, but there is a huge amount of extra garbage in their main app catalog. That's what you get when anything can be in the app catalog.

    Pros: Great hardware selection. Great carrier selection. Good app selection. Large attractive installed base means a reason for developers to deliver apps (big name apps as well as fringe apps)
    Cons: Clumsy, disorganized user interface. Marketplace is full of garbage.

    I keep switching back and forth between my webos phones and my Droid2.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    but mostly because i want to try out a few before i decide on the one i'm keeping.
    You try tweeddroid? This is my favorite.

    Evo-lution
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I can explain. Counting wallpapers as apps is about as honest as counting a single penny as a dollar.

    Sometimes reading the comment in context helps.

    Even if you took off the wallpapers there are still thousands more apps not listed then webOS has in its entire app catalogs.


    Sfm Evo
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions