Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    heres a question for everyone, looking at your phone you currently have what are the main applications, or application types that you use on a daily basis and that you need. List them, and see if both webos and Android carry that type of application.
    Wait wait wait... Type isn't the same as that app. For example, I use 'myfitness pro' as part of my training regime - are there likely other programs that provide some of the same functionality as that on WebOS, I guess so - but they don't link up with the fitness pro website so it's worthless to be unless I'm willing to give up my account there.

Anyway, here are the main apps I use:

Overdrive - (Allows me to take out ebooks and audio books from public libraries)
    Dropbox - (Well.. dropbox)
    Myfitnesspro - (records fitness information and uploads to fitness pro website)
    Gmail - speaks for itself
    Amazon app - allows me to buy directly from amazon and manage my account
    Evernote - notes
    Shazam - sound app
    National rail - live train times
    Google navigator - Speaks for itself.
    Layers - Augmented reality browser
    Skype - speaks for itself
    Fotscore - Soccer app contain all league information and live updates
    Everyday I use Sirius/ xm,, nesn (local cable sport channel) weei (local sports), i use atleast once a week mobile fax, can't believe i use my phone to fax,, lookout (virus protection) scanner radio (best world wide police scanner app ever), voice search,, just tap the icon and ask anything from send a text to my wife,, i love you,, and it does instantly or translate any sentence to any language. Its amazing. i can go on and on but all these apps i use and need and webos does not have. my banking, geico car insurance, paypal, etc .

Evo-lution
    Then there are the fun apps that i glad i have access to like google sky maps, google earth just to name a few. So many times i have opened google sky map and said"o loo k,, Saturn, or mars or something cool is right above us now. Then i go on the roof my telescope and have fun.
    I also use love the hp/ picture print app fo r my hp web printer.

Evo-lution
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't doubt that, just as I don't doubt you could get work done on a PC with nothing but Internet Explorer, Microsoft Works, Windows Media Player, and other stuff that typically comes with Windows.

Yet, for some strange reason people like being able to install stuff like Chrome, Firefox, Quick Office, iTunes, WinAmp, and about 20 other choices in every single category. Do you NEED the choices? No> Most people don't NEED a smartphone.

But it's a very nice thing to have.
    oh def your right, and I myself use a good amount of different programs for my laptop too, though to me (maybe because of the programs I know of, and trust) I only use a handfull of these programs and dont research for different versions unless the current version I always use is either not valid anymore, or was disabled (like limewire which i used to use).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are there some quality differences between some Android apps and their iOS counterparts? Yes.

Are there some existence differences between most Android apps and their WebOS counterparts? Yes.

I'd rather face the first problem because once a developer is onboard, the app can always improve or someone else has that much more incentive to make an alternative to beat them. The second problem leaves you stuck at zero.

The apps I treasure on Android, I cannot compare to a WebOS version because there is no counterpart. Google Maps is virtually a completely different program. Mog is an amazing Zune Pass-esque service that has no parallel on WebOS. There's no Tweetdeck to aggregate all of my social media into one stream. No weather widgets except for that icon thing that stays in your quick launcher. No official media player with 5.1 surround and ondevice playlist creation. No tabbed browsers. No news aggregator as cool looking as Pulse. No video player that can play virtually any codec without conversion. No choices for onscreen keyboards.

Once you get used to this stuff, it's difficult to give it up. It's a nice problem to have.
    and for these reason I would agree you would have to move on if these are the type of things you def need in these type of applications that are not available for Webos.
    I just go to the Top Paid and Top Free sections of what category of apps i need and choose from there most of the time.
    The verizon remote control app is another.i don't use the fios remote, I use the app. Best part is when my phone rings, the tv automatically mutes,, when I hang up it auto un mutes.

Evo-lution
    Rather than listing a bunch of apps may or may not exits on one platform or another, I'll just restate what I need in terms of apps. I need a platform that meets the following two criteria:
    1. It must provide the apps that I need today and provides them in high, usable quality.
    2. It must have enough developer interest and available APIs such that the apps I may need tomorrow are likely to be there when I need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Remember, many things that You deem"useless"many others may deem
    Must have.

Evo-lution
    That's fair. I'm not saying that the only useful apps are the ones I've deemed useful, I'm saying there's a lot of blatant spam or garbage. If you are familiar with Appbrain, they automatically filter out "spam apps." When the Android market was at 30,000 apps total, Appbrain said they were filtering out around 10,000 spam apps.

When I browse the app market I literally browse passed hundreds of spam or low quality apps such as ringtones, soundboards that require way too many permissions (data harvest/spam), website apps, etc. You can search for ringtone on the market site and still be browsing ringtone app results on passed page 60 and many of these are also data harvest apps that require permissions such as "services that cost you money" or "read contacts."

I'm not trying to hate on the Android Market - I have about 30 apps installed (most games) andhave spent about $35 there. I'm simply saying that the ability to publish youtube downloaders or soundboards to the Android market in seconds without any app approval means there's a lot more low quality stuff on there than other stores.
    Last edited by jonathan likes the pre; 02/16/2011 at 10:39 AM.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    That's fair. I'm not saying that the only useful apps are the ones I've deemed useful, I'm saying there's a lot of blatant spam or garbage. If you are familiar with Appbrain, they automatically filter out "spam apps." When the Android market was at 30,000 apps total, Appbrain said they were filtering out around 10,000 spam apps.

When I browse the app market I literally browse passed hundreds of spam or low quality apps such as ringtones, soundboards that require way too many permissions (data harvest/spam), website apps, etc. You can search for ringtone on the market site and still be browsing ringtone app results on passed page 60 and many of these are also data harvest apps that require permissions such as "services that cost you money" or "read contacts."

I'm not trying to hate on the Android Market - I have about 30 apps installed (most games) andhave spent about $35 there. I'm simply saying that the ability to publish youtube downloaders or soundboards to the Android market in seconds without any app approval means there's a lot more low quality stuff on there than other stores.
    I use the marketplace via my computer and don't see any of that stuff - with fast install, it's the easiest way of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    oh no def not, and if its percieved that way I appologize. I dont know if I explained my position on this thread or not, but Im for quality apps, rather then quanity. Meaning yes I wouldnt mind a few choices, but I dont need hundreds of choices of the same application.
    It's hard to have quality without quantity. In a competitive market, suppliers raise their game.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 02/16/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And webOS requires little to no programming experience either, how ironic.
    I am not defending webOS, or any platform. I disagree with counting apps that are not apps. That is all.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Argh!!! You have to deal with the threat of virus's on android? Or is that a problem only when you root?
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Argh!!! You have to deal with the threat of virus's on android? Or is that a problem only when you root?
    Maybe I am wrong,, what do I know, but dont you have to worry about potential threats any time you surf the net? No matter if you use a pc, laptop, pad, notebook or even smartphone? Or some genius comes up with a way to infect via an application download. Always wondered.

Evo-lution
    No, on android the only legitiment worry are apps that can phish informatino.

It prays on the ignorant as you can blatantly see services the app call...and if your wallpaper app has access to your keyboard thats a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    but dont you have to worry about potential threats any time you surf the net?

I don't have this issue because I surf on my computer with a NON-admin account. Your virus/spyware infections go down 95%. And for the extra paranoid like me, I do all my potentially threatening surfing in a "virtual machine" environment so I could blow it away quickly if I needed to.

I've never had this worry on any smartphone before. Just a bit unnerving that there is data harvesting stuff out there. As unsecure as the iphone is with as many haters, that threat has not hit them yet.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Since the Android spam has been mentioned, here is a little perspective. The following are the top 10 offending webOS developers and their app count.
    Code:
    | Mobifusion Inc.                          |  72 |
    | Soundboard Masters                       |  77 |
    | NanoNino                                 |  90 |
    | Dijit                                    |  91 |
    | Upward Mobility                          | 120 |
    | DS Effects                               | 121 |
    | TEARN media                              | 152 |
    | AppBookShop.com                          | 210 |
    | AppBookShop                              | 327 |
    | Brighthouse Labs                         | 378 |
    | Appible LLC                              | 443 |
    • There are 6,466 total apps (across the official, web and beta catalogs)
    • There are 2,081 spam apps listed above
    • This equates to about 32% spam just from the top 10 offenders

Homebrew data is not represented here.

Now, this shows that platforms will get junk. It's just the nature of the business. What I want in a platform is a high quantity so that even at 30% junk, I can get an abundance of quality. I also don't mind the existence of junk because that stuff is probably useful to some people.

On a side note, I didn't realize "Brighthouse Labs" had their top spot usurped.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/16/2011 at 01:11 PM.
    By the way, it just occurred to me that the post above points out another issue that HP needs to address. Ignoring the fact that the developers listed spam the catalog and that the junk app count is actually much higher, it shows that 32% of all the apps on webOS come from 10 developers.

That's an even bigger problem than the number of junk apps in my opinion. HP has got to do something about this.
    All legit (and sobering) concerns, but I think HP should act as if the number of WebOS developers is zero. They should be gunning for people who have developed for WebOS just as much as they do for people who haven't.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Maybe that's why HP doesn't give a crap about the current developers, there are so few, it might as well be zero...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast