Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    My point being that regardless of how many apps a company advertises, like the 150K apps comment, if people are buying hardware that can't even access those apps, it's kinda pointless. So in otherwords, my mother was one of those people with access to only a handful of apps, was ticked off, and will not buy an android product because it was not advertised that it could not access the android market. This fragmentation problem only drives people towards apple.
    Maybe they should buy up to date hardware. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person. I believe you should have helped your mother out when picking the phone so she could be able to run all the apps.

PS. That post was not to insult you or your mother, just getting my point across. I am not trying to get banned.

PPS. The Pixi can't run all the apps the Pre can. Is HP false advertising?
    So in otherwords, my mother was one of those people with access to only a handful of apps, was ticked off, and will not buy an android product because it was not advertised that it could not access the android market. This fragmentation problem only drives people towards apple.
    Kind of like buying a Pre after being told you could upgrade it to webOS 2.0?

And why did you let your mom go and buy and out-of-date Android phone anyway? The only phones still running Android 1.x are over 18 months old and only 10% of all Androids are running a version under 2.0. If you're mom is so tech savvy that she thinks she's getting shorted on apps, you'd think she would have chosen a better phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Maybe they should buy up to date hardware. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person. I believe you should have helped your mother out when picking the phone so she could be able to run all the apps.

PS. That post was not to insult you or your mother, just getting my point across. I am not trying to get banned.

PPS. The Pixi can't run all the apps the Pre can. Is HP false advertising?
    I didn't know she ordered it until after the fact. Problem is, it was something advertised on the shopping channel. The Velocity Cruz 7" tablet with capacitive screen, etc., most people don't understand what runs what. At least with Apple or Palm, you have one unified app catalogue and can run most apps found in one place by pushing one app button. the shopping channel sold 2000K plus of those tablets. I wonder how many of those will be returned.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    As a Droid user the ANdroid marketplace is a disaster. You can find most of the stuff you want and not much more - simply browsing causes you to stumble across a lot of garbage news readers, wallpapers, root only apps and bad match 3, ringtone, or unofficial crap ("Mario Jump Game!"). You pretty much need to know what you're looking for because you won't discover anything by browsing the market - rankings never ever change.

There are a handful of really useful Android only apps aside from the usual suspects like Kindle and Fandango. These would include StatusNotes, which pins notes and icons to the notification pane, Where's My Droid which lets you text your phone for information/ringing, iSyncr Wifi for wireless iTunes syncing and Catch for cloud notes. Then there's a ton of garbage. Check for yourself at the site.

It's great to have so many apps and a lot to choose from but don't look with envy - it's not some source of abundant useful apps.
    Remember, many things that You deem"useless"many others may deem
    Must have.

Evo-lution
    I didn't know she ordered it until after the fact. Problem is, it was something advertised on the shopping channel. The Velocity Cruz 7" tablet with capacitive screen, etc., most people don't understand what runs what. At least with Apple or Palm, you have one unified app catalogue and can run most apps found in one place by pushing one app button. the shopping channel sold 2000K plus of those tablets. I wonder how many of those will be returned.
    I'm sorry your mother bought that thing. I never heard of it until now so I would have stayed away from it.

Android does have one unified app store. Its called the Android Market. It's not googles job to make sure the tablet or phone maker has a recent version of android on it. It is the manufactures job to make sure apps and everything else works on the tablet. It is also the consumers job to do a little research before they buy a product. Most devices that are not supported well usually just wither away and die.

Again I am sorry your mother bought that tablet, I would recommend her to return it immediately and purchase a real tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I'm sorry your mother bought that thing. I never heard of it until now so I would have stayed away from it.

Android does have one unified app store. Its called the Android Market. It's not googles job to make sure the tablet or phone maker has a recent version of android on it. It is the manufactures job to make sure apps and everything else works on the tablet. It is also the consumers job to do a little research before they buy a product. Most devices that are not supported well usually just wither away and die.

Again I am sorry your mother bought that tablet, I would recommend her to return it immediately and purchase a real tablet.
    I've seen those tablets on a lot of sites (especially Craigslist). I've also seen tons of bad reviews... What do you expect with a sub-$200 tablet?

I feel bad for the people who get tricked into buying those things...

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Remember, many things that You deem"useless"many others may deem
    Must have.

Evo-lution
    Precisely why we need quality AND quantity.
    I have to ask about the quality of the mainstream apps themselves.
    Browsing on appbrain, seems like people find alot of the "mainstream" apps pretty crappy. are they just being to critical?

I read some of the reviews and thought to myself, "the webOS version doesn't have that issue".

Then played around with a co-workers evo foursquare app and found the webOS version actually better....

Am i getting a wrong sense of things with my limited android exposure?
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    I have to ask about the quality of the mainstream apps themselves.
    Browsing on appbrain, seems like people find alot of the "mainstream" apps pretty crappy. are they just being to critical?

I read some of the reviews and thought to myself, "the webOS version doesn't have that issue".

Then played around with a co-workers evo foursquare app and found the webOS version actually better....

Am i getting a wrong sense of things with my limited android exposure?
    Yes, you probably are.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It's not the fart apps... those actually count as apps. Wallpaper (live or otherwise) shouldn't count. Android is loaded with stuff that requires no programing. Not defending any other OS at all. Android just seems to attract stuff like that, and Google is more than happy to count them.
    And webOS requires little to no programming experience either, how ironic.
    My wife and kids are on Android devices now and for the most part their apps suck...sorry, they just do.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    My wife and kids are on Android devices now and for the most part their apps suck...sorry, they just do.
    Well they are one up on WEbOS apps in that they actually exist...

In on-line debate, there is such a thing as "I DIDN'T HEAR THAT", where the person you are talking to just ignores the statements that he or she can't beat. Here I think we have a slightly different version in that it's often "I WOULDN'T USE THAT", so if I mention some apps that I use that simply don't exist for WebOS (and there are quite a few), the response will be "I wouldn't use that, so I don't see why anyone else would".
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    YOU Have pros, good application selection,,,, cons, market has mostly garbage,,,, which is it.

Evo-lution
    There is nothing mutually exclusive about saying "good app selection but lots of garbage in the market". Both are true.
    sidebar: Anyone know of a decent and reliable shoutcast app for Android?

How about a good resource for finding those gem applications that stand out from the hordes of mediocre or worse apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Shouldn't the real question be how many people like the same twitter app or facebook app? Even on webOS I see some people prefer Bad Kitty while other's prefer Twee, etc. What's wrong with options? Do you drive the same car I drive? No? Should you?
    yeah I understand that question as I stated there are options for main apps even on webos. Though Webos may only have 3 or 4 options, where as android has a few hundred, bottom line is as long as the 3 or 4 different apps are of some substance you wont have to worry about the other few hundred. As well as not worry about shuffling through a huge catalog looking for essentially hundreds of apps when only out of those few hundred there still are only a handfull worth your time. This is what I went through when i had a EVO for a few months, though this is my opinion, this is what I mean by my statment understand.
    heres a question for everyone, looking at your phone you currently have what are the main applications, or application types that you use on a daily basis and that you need. List them, and see if both webos and Android carry that type of application. Me for instance:

carbon (twitter)
    notes
    Music player remix
    action mate pro (ebay)
    bank of america
    you tube
    you view (visual vm)
    basketball live
    pack n track
    mp3 tunes (cloud music stream)
    sprint nav
    yp mobile
    calculator
    datpiff mobile (mixtapes)
    backgrounds
    pandora
    chess game,card game, trimatch,nova
    supernes emulator
    free tether
    quick systems tasks
    zensearch (craigslist)

besides the basic functions on a smartphone these are the same programs I use on a daily basis also available on Android, and IOS of course. There are different versions for most of the ones listed if not all. So besides looking for new games (which i really dont use alot personally) I can do everything I need to do without having a issue. They also are of great quality so I dont really need to replace these applications every week or so. Again just my preference, and as I stated before when I had the Evo I essentially had the same type of apps, and had no need for 95% of what was in the catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Though Webos may only have 3 or 4 options, where as android has a few hundred, bottom line is as long as the 3 or 4 different apps are of some substance you wont have to worry about the other few hundred. As well as not worry about shuffling through a huge catalog looking for essentially hundreds of apps when only out of those few hundred there still are only a handfull worth your time. This is what I went through when i had a EVO for a few months, though this is my opinion, this is what I mean by my statment understand.
    I translated the theme of your post as "Limited Choice is a Good Thing" or "Choice is a Bad Thing." Why would you feel that way?
    Are there some quality differences between some Android apps and their iOS counterparts? Yes.

Are there some existence differences between most Android apps and their WebOS counterparts? Yes.

I'd rather face the first problem because once a developer is onboard, the app can always improve or someone else has that much more incentive to make an alternative to beat them. The second problem leaves you stuck at zero.

The apps I treasure on Android, I cannot compare to a WebOS version because there is no counterpart. Google Maps is virtually a completely different program. Mog is an amazing Zune Pass-esque service that has no parallel on WebOS. There's no Tweetdeck to aggregate all of my social media into one stream. No weather widgets except for that icon thing that stays in your quick launcher. No official media player with 5.1 surround and ondevice playlist creation. No tabbed browsers. No news aggregator as cool looking as Pulse. No video player that can play virtually any codec without conversion. No choices for onscreen keyboards.

Once you get used to this stuff, it's difficult to give it up. It's a nice problem to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    besides the basic functions on a smartphone these are the same programs I use on a daily basis also available on Android, and IOS of course. There are different versions for most of the ones listed if not all. So besides looking for new games (which i really dont use alot personally) I can do everything I need to do without having a issue. They also are of great quality so I dont really need to replace these applications every week or so. Again just my preference, and as I stated before when I had the Evo I essentially had the same type of apps, and had no need for 95% of what was in the catalog.
    I don't doubt that, just as I don't doubt you could get work done on a PC with nothing but Internet Explorer, Microsoft Works, Windows Media Player, and other stuff that typically comes with Windows.

Yet, for some strange reason people like being able to install stuff like Chrome, Firefox, Quick Office, iTunes, WinAmp, and about 20 other choices in every single category. Do you NEED the choices? No> Most people don't NEED a smartphone.

But it's a very nice thing to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I translated the theme of your post as "Limited Choice is a Good Thing" or "Choice is a Bad Thing." Why would you feel that way?
    oh no def not, and if its percieved that way I appologize. I dont know if I explained my position on this thread or not, but Im for quality apps, rather then quanity. Meaning yes I wouldnt mind a few choices, but I dont need hundreds of choices of the same application. I have a Ipad, had a iphone, and a EVO and though I def dont mind the choices, there seemed to be alot of spam, and or totally horriable versions of applications I use. Then after taking excess time in finding one that I like (on the EVO per say), I didnt want to go back in the market place again just because I didnt feel like shuffling through dozens of the same application, just to see if there was a nother good one out of the horriable ones.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast