Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For all the people complaining about HP and the Pre3 and bragging about Android and other manufacturers, I wanted to point out what HTC announced today.

HTC refreshes Android lineup with Incredible S, Desire S and Wildfire S (update: hands-on) -- Engadget

Basically they just rehashed their phones from last year. They didn't even update the software on it, they're running Android 2.2. None of them are using dual core processors, they're all running 1GHz or slower. The cameras don't seem much better if any than the Pre. The Incredible S will have 8mp, and the Desire S will have 5mp. No resolution improvements besides the Wildfire moving up to HVGA.

See, we don't have it so bad with the Pre3! I would imagine these are going to be coming out about the same time as the Pre3, and now that 1.4GHz processor doesn't seem so bad.
    The one thing about HTC that they will never get right is the camera... never in my life have I seen such hyped phones with such poor cameras. The Pre at 3mp runs circles around the EVO at 8mp.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I would imagine these are going to be coming out about the same time as the Pre3
    Engadget says "early Q2", the Pre 3 is 'sometime in Q3" isn't it? So the same time-frame as the Veer.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, but that Q2 is probably referring to Europe. We usually get phones later in NA because of the different bands and the CDMA thing.
    HTC cameras are indeed garbage. I don't particularly like the screens either.

But in regards to this post, perhaps you missed the announcements of the HTC Thunderbolt, arriving shortly on Verizon with the same processor found in the Pre 3 clocked down to 1ghz. The Inspire 4G on AT&T now for $100 also has the newer version of the Snapdragon with the better GPU found in the MyTouch 4G clocked up to 1ghz.

The screens are still the same comparatively washed out ones found on the Evo, however.
    I think people complain about the Pre 3's hardware because it represents the only option for many (not all) who wish to continue using a webOS-based smartphone. You mention what HTC did however it is but one Android OEM. I've lost count of how many Android devices there are to choose from, but they range from a 1980's Nintendo Donkey Kong-like dual screen monstrosity to the modern (though somewhat gimmicky) 3D capable device. In the grand scheme of Android-related things, it's not a big deal if one OEM does a basic refresh on 3 phones (not that I think it's a good thing on HTC's part).
    You might change your mind when you see samsung and lg's offerings

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Yeah, they may look like rehash but they all have the new chips, sense and all should get gingerbread when it's fully baked which its not right now and it will be 2.4 not 2.3. Besides they will still out sel the Pre 3.

http://images.androidcentral.com/sit...dible-s-01.jpg

Sfm Evo
    Last edited by kinster02; 02/15/2011 at 01:20 PM.
    that's bc the amount of mp doesn't really matter..especially on these devices

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The one thing about HTC that they will never get right is the camera... never in my life have I seen such hyped phones with such poor cameras. The Pre at 3mp runs circles around the EVO at 8mp.
    I think htc is doing the right thing by lowering their clock speeds hopefully they are doing this for better battery life like the Evo shift. I rather have more battery life then a higher clock speed... after all what good is clock speed when your batteries dead. The Pre needs as much speed as they can put it that thing... it was a slug fest.

Sfm Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The camera's auto settings are always bunked....i keep the iso at 100:

THis one is from the Pre:

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but none run circles around either. The extra bump is megapixels will mean pretty much nothing in these phones....its all about sensor size. iPhone 4 and Nokia N8 easily take the best pictures on phones these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I think htc is doing the right thing by lowering their clock speeds hopefully they are doing this for better battery life like the Evo shift. I rather have more battery life then a higher clock speed... after all what good is clock speed when your batteries dead. The Pre needs as much speed as they can put it that thing... it was a slug fest.

Sfm Evo
    you take alot of shots at webos (lol funny) truth is with the EVO i had and my pre plus I OC to 1.2ghz, the pre was faster in opening the 13 apps I use daily on both the pre and the EVO. As well as got 5 hours each on both devices. Do you do any research on your bashing of webos, or just plain blind opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but none run circles around either. The extra bump is megapixels will mean pretty much nothing in these phones....its all about sensor size. iPhone 4 and Nokia N8 easily take the best pictures on phones these days.

I thought the EVO shot very good pics with the 8mg cam it had.
    Ummm...i highly doubt the Pre was faster in opening anything.

This is from my overclocked Pre minus. The thing was slow...bottom line...esp. with launching most apps (save the phone dialer...but even that sometimes).

If its one thing it wasn't...was fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    that's bc the amount of mp doesn't really matter..especially on these devices
    Exactly. That's my point. They sell their phones as having 8mp cameras, when that does nothing for the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

The Pre's low light ability and the shutter speed do make it run circles around the EVO. Have you ever taken an action shot on the Pre vs. the EVO? Huge difference.

Now the sensor is very important, but one could definitely make the case that the Pre's camera is better than the EVO for most things. The only thing that would make the Pre's more palletable is autofocus (coming to the Pre3).

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I thought the EVO shot very good pics with the 8mg cam it had.
    Except in low light and action shots.

Sunset looks nice. Mountains look nice. My son running... not so much. Christmas tree at night with the tree lights on... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    you take alot of shots at webos (lol funny) truth is with the EVO i had and my pre plus I OC to 1.2ghz, the pre was faster in opening the 13 apps I use daily on both the pre and the EVO. As well as got 5 hours each on both devices. Do you do any research on your bashing of webos, or just plain blind opinions?
    Milominderbinder actually did a great study regarding app load times. The Pre (even overclocked) is significantly slower than other phones.

Sent from my HTC HD2
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    There is really nothing i miss about my Pre's camera.

What good is capturing an action shot when your camera app takes 10+ seconds to load?

Additionally, if you turn off auto focus you can take faster shots on the Evo. The Pre3 should be similar in that regard (if they let you turn off auto focus).
    Lets be real...no camera's take good night time shots....here is one of Quest love with my Pre:

They are all serviceable...but half the time i don't bother to take it out at night.
    Know what DOES suck on the Evo though? The video recording.

Quality wise is ok...but my god is the audio terrible.

Edit: Here is an example:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast