1.    #1  
    We dropped our land line years ago and have only our mobile phones, plus Google Voice numbers (connected to mobile #). Also, have DSL ~15 mbps wired gigabit with wifi n.

Looking for options to start reviewing to have cordless handsets that always stay in the house to be used when kids are home.

Ideas?
    I see pandas.
    UK or US? There are some cheap voip options (starting at a few bucks per year) and going up from there. MagicJack starts at $40 for the first year and is $20/year after that. There are other voip services starting around $15-$20/month.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    We dropped our land line years ago and have only our mobile phones, plus Google Voice numbers (connected to mobile #). Also, have DSL ~15 mbps wired gigabit with wifi n.

Looking for options to start reviewing to have cordless handsets that always stay in the house to be used when kids are home.

Ideas?
    I've been trilled with my Ooma Telo (Free Home Phone Service | Ooma). The unit costs ~$200 (street) and if you don't buy into the "Premier" service, then you pay only taxes ($3.47/month) from then on (for calls within the USA, outside it's still cheap per minute). It can also handle fax machines if needed and supports 911 calls.

The nice thing is that you can hook it into your existing land line wiring and use your old land line phones (including wireless ones).

In my case, dropping my land line paid for the two Telo units in under 10 months.

I've got two of these units (one is my business line) and the only nit is that sometimes there is a noticeable voice lag. This can cause you to talk over each other.

They have wireless handsets for this unit as well. Unless you're interested in the Premier service, I don't see any real advantage using these.

Using Google Voice, you can have both your cell phone and the Ooma ring simultaneously or pick and choose as desired. With the Premier service, they give you a "psuedo" second line and tighter integration with Google Voice (among other services), but it will cost you another $10/month.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  4.    #5  
    I'm in US.

Ok, is there anything besides voip?

I was thinking there is a cordless that will work with mobile service (Sprint)?
    I see pandas.
    VZW used to offer a dockable home phone that was something like this, but it's been disco'ed. Sprint has nothing like that that I'm aware of.

If you have a desktop that stays on all the time, you can use Google Voice through the GTalk interface in Gmail. Maybe there's a Bluetooth or WiFi handset for computers ...?

EDIT: Just saw this story on Engadget ... might be closer to what you're looking for.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 02/17/2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I'm in US.

Ok, is there anything besides voip?

I was thinking there is a cordless that will work with mobile service (Sprint)?
    I'm using a Bluetooth cellular gateway. Basically it connects to your cell phone's headset profile and forwards it to your home telephone wiring. Here's the one I am using:

Amazon.com: G.E. Thompson 44319805185 GE Cell Fusion Gateway: Electronics

Xlink also makes a popular one. Of course this requires that a cell phone be left at home to connect with the gateway, so that may not be what you are looking for. Basically it allows me to place my phone on a charger and if it rings, it will ring my 4 wireless phones, from which I can answer the call. Dialing out is a complex process. Since the gateway is capable of connecting to two cell phones, you first have to dial #1# or #2# to tell the gateway which cell phone to use before dialing the number.

This one seems to have taken care of dialing out a bit better, but I have no experience with it:

Amazon.com: Cobra PhoneLynx Bluetooth Cell to Home Phone Connection System (BT 215): Electronics

If leaving a cell phone at home is not an option, I agree that the Ooma is your best bet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    VZW used to offer a dockable home phone that was something like this, but it's been disco'ed.
    It was given rollerskates and bell-bottom pants?
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It was given rollerskates and bell-bottom pants?
    /breaks out the velour.
    I see pandas.
    Just for info since I'm in germany:
    I use normal analog telephones connected to a (dsl/voip) router using voip. It's perfect. I would go that route.

Or something like this:
    http://www.grandstream.com/products/...85/gxp285.html