1.    #1  
    New Android Super Phone confirmed.

Motorola Atrix 4G review -- Engadget
    These two issues below from engadget review made this a "no go" for me but thanks for posting:

"If you're expecting Gingerbready goodness here, prepare to be disappointed. Also, if you're craving just the stock Android experience, this is not the phone for you. Instead, Motorola is treating customers to its customized Froyo (2.2) build, featuring none other than -- yep -- Motoblur. We thought that Motorola's social-centric skin was going the way of the dinosaur, but it's back in full force with the Atrix 4G.

Now, before you get all let down and mopey, we'd like to say that the software side of the Atrix is actually quite good, and there are lots of little improvements the company has made to bring Android together in a bit more of a cohesive manner. It also helps that Google has begun to independently update its core apps (such as Gmail and Maps) outside of system updates, which means you'll get the same experience in many places that you would on an untainted Nexus S running Gingerbread.

Since this isn't exactly a new version of the software, we're only going to delve into a few points that we think are notable.

For starters, we're a little disappointed by the fact that Motorola and AT&T are loading up the Atrix with a considerable amount of bloatware, and there's nothing you can really do about it. Vlingo, a handful of AT&T apps, Blockbuster, and a smattering of other programs all ship on the handset with no option to delete them. Even worse, some of them occasionally throw notifications up bugging the end user to register or use the applications. We didn't experience too much of an issue with the apps, but we do wish users were given some kind of choice here. Adding insult to injury, Motorola (or AT&T, who has a habit of doing this sort of thing) has locked the device down in a way that not only prevents you from flashing the phone with a custom ROM, but also won't even let users install apps via email or SD card. That means that when our developers gave us a new version of the Engadget app to test out, it was a total no-go on this handset. So much for open!...
    ...The Atrix 4G by itself will run you $199.99 with a 2 year contract. The laptop dock by itself is a whopping $399.99 (less a mail-in rebate, bringing it down to $299.99). You can get the HD / desktop dock by itself for $129.99, or the bundle (with keyboard and mouse) for $189.99.

Simply put, to leave an AT&T store (or its website) with just the phone and the laptop dock, you're dropping $653 and then waiting for that $100 back in the mail."
    http://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/
  3.    #3  
    Unless you are apple, bloatware is the name of the game. It is really annoying they bake it into the ROM...there is absolutely no reason to.

Windows Phone 7 you can remove any and all apps that the phone ships with....why not this? This is why i enjoy having a Rooted Evo.
    This isn't the phone I want.

That said, it's the phone that takes mobile devices in the direction I really want it to head towards.
  5.    #5  
    I'm very happy they are reporting great battery life. I mean, its also a massive battery, but hey...24 hours of use? HEAVY use?

I'm down with Tegra 2.
    It's kind of a shame. Despite the fact that I'm almost definitely sticking with HP for the time being, I was really hoping that the laptop dock worked well, and at the moment it sounds like a pretty big failure.
    Summary for those who don't want to read: as a phone, it is pretty much awesome. Even if Motorola locks everything down with a giant padlock and won't even let you sideload apps.

As a wannabe laptop/computer/etc.: it blows. Nice try Motorola. Maybe you'll figure it out next time.
    Your latter statement though is key. The Atrix is the epitome of "Thinking Beyond", not the Pre3. The Pre 3 should've been the Pre2. The Pre2 should've been the Plus. I don't care if webOS loyalists like the Pre3. I won't even say it's a bad phone, but it's nowhere near "Thinking Beyond" unless they made the statement two years ago.

The Atrix as a phone is just solid. The connectivity with docks and dummy laptops is a bit off, but Motorola put the gears in motion. If anyone says this isn't the future they see with their phone, then they're flat out lying or really have no need for a smartphone. It's equipment like the Atrix that just makes me cringe if what HP showed last week was their vision of "Thinking Beyond". It's actually sad.

I think webOS is the most polished and elegant mobile OS out there, but the hardware is nowhere near where it should be, and my choice of phone puts the hardware on equal footing with the OS (as well as a few choice apps who's lack thereof are just dealbreakers). So I couldn't begin to choose the Pre 3 as my phone knowing it's such an incremental upgrade over it's two predecessors. Would much rather hold out for a dual core android beast and revisit HP's offererings next year. Thankfully I still qualify for Sprint's yearly upgrades so it's easy for me to just go with the flow and just laugh at all the prehugger comments.

For the people slamming the Atrix, at least Motorola came to play. Can't say the same for HP. Who cares if they didn't get it all right this time out (and software updates could change some of that). They took a step towards raising the bar. Maybe not to the degree the iphone did way back when, but in my eyes it's more of an industry first than the the Kyo Echo.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This isn't the phone I want.

That said, it's the phone that takes mobile devices in the direction I really want it to head towards.
    And the rundown of specs....
    Plastic but solid. Almost as thin as an iPhone. MicroUSB and HDMI ports.
    1GHz dual core CPU, 1GB of DDR2 RAM
    16GB of storage onboard (plus a microSD slot for another 32GB)
    960 x 540 capacitive touchscreen with Corning's Gorilla Glass.
    WiFi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
    HSPA+ GSM
    light and proximity sensor. built in accelerometer and compass.
    1930mAh battery that seemed to last them a full 24hrs with heavy use.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Summary for those who don't want to read: as a phone, it is pretty much awesome. Even if Motorola locks everything down with a giant padlock and won't even let you sideload apps.

As a wannabe laptop/computer/etc.: it blows. Nice try Motorola. Maybe you'll figure it out next time.
    Yeah, so much for Android being "open". I just don't understand why Motorola and HTC feel they must restrict the Android experience by locking down their phones. It doesn't make sense to me that you should need to "jailbreak" or "root" your phone. They could have made it much easier for people to improve and customize their Atrix experience, especially with the laptop dock, if they had left it open.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Carrier requests, that's why. Remember their primary customers are actually carriers. AT&T and their bloatware and lock downs, that's normal with them. They might have rejected the phone otherwise. I do wish Motorola would put their foot down like Apple though, because it hurts their end customers even if they aren't selling directly to us but through the carrier.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Yeah, so much for Android being "open". I just don't understand why Motorola and HTC feel they must restrict the Android experience by locking down their phones. It doesn't make sense to me that you should need to "jailbreak" or "root" your phone. They could have made it much easier for people to improve and customize their Atrix experience, especially with the laptop dock, if they had left it open.

HTC doesn't lock down their phones (to the extent Moto does).
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    First, don't characterize Android the platform based on what Motorola the OEM does.

Second, Motorola does it because they can. If people would just stop buying their products, they'd probably get the hint. Right now, even though they've claimed they are looking into ways to be more open, they have no incentive to do so. Stop buying from them or stop complaining about them. <-- that last part is meant for the general public.
    Hmm I was considering getting one, but now that they force bloatware down your throat that you can't even remove, and expect you to pay 130 bucks just to connect your phone to a t.v. I think i'll pass.
    If they make one for Canadian carriers, maybe the carrier won't demand so much bloatware. Sometimes AT&T makes Rogers look good, despite what l've heard about them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i think this is a very good phone for AT&T's lineup, and you dont have to have the laptop people its just a option, and it does open the door for more phones to do so (like the touchstone did when Palm introduced it).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they make one for Canadian carriers, maybe the carrier won't demand so much bloatware. Sometimes AT&T makes Rogers look good, despite what l've heard about them.
    True. I'm with bell so maybe the bloatware may not be as bad. As for docking devices. I'm sure we will see chinese knockoffs soon enough for a tenth of the price that does the same thing. Mind you, I haven't seen any touchstone knockoffs yet for some reason.