Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is a great little article I ran across today. Take a look.

Top10.com » News » Top 10 reasons why the HP TouchPad is better than the iPad
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Here is a great little article I ran across today. Take a look.

Top10.com News » Top 10 reasons why the HP TouchPad is better than the iPad
    Yeah, if you compare to iPad but this will come out after ipad2. So we have to wait til touchpad to release. Plus iPad can print, no wire and other stuffs that he puts on the list. He probably never used iPad

Sent from Tapatalk
    Yeah, its useless to compare a device that is months away from coming out, to a device that has been out for almost a year.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yeah, if you compare to iPad but this will come out after ipad2. So we have to wait til touchpad to release. Plus iPad can print, no wire and other stuffs that he puts on the list. He probably never used iPad

Sent from Tapatalk
    Hmm, do you know of an iPad 2 release date or even a specific list of specifications? I haven't seen either of those things.

So, I suppose it is possible that the iPad 2 could release before the TouchPad, we don't have release dates for either.

Also, since there aren't any published specs since Apple hasn't even announced it yet. So the only thing it can be compared to is the iPad.
    Nice read!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yeah, its useless to compare a device that is months away from coming out, to a device that has been out for almost a year.
    Not when it is the nearest competitor with published specs. You can only compare to what you have available.

I don't believe the writer said it was better than the iPad 2.

He chose to compare it to the device that currently leads the pack in that market segment. Nothing else comes close in the writers opinion.
  7. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Thanks pastorrich1, for posting this. I'm the writer of this article and appreciate all your comments.

Just to let you guys know, I didn't leave the iPad 2 out of my thought process. I just felt that even if the iPad 2 features comparable or even better specs (cameras, retina display and whatnot), the TouchPad would still be a better device all round because of webOS and Flash support. Hardware is always changing but the core experience webOS offers beats any competition IMO.
    Last edited by Dew; 02/14/2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    Not when it is the nearest competitor with published specs. You can only compare to what you have available.

I don't believe the writer said it was better than the iPad 2.

He chose to compare it to the device that currently leads the pack in that market segment. Nothing else comes close in the writers opinion.
    Sorry, but no. It's still a ridiculous comparison. If they were both on the market, there might be some merit, but the TouchPad is merely a concept, not a finished product. So all we know are its attributes/strengths, while every weakness can be explained away with "It's not finished yet/They are still tweaking/etc." Meanwhile, the iPad is a real device that countless people have lived with and used, and exhaustively found every shortcoming as well as benefit.

This is why good-looking women passing by a man on the street are so attractive even if he's married to a beautiful, dedicated wife who loves him and supports him at home. The street lady is a new, idealized concept. The wife is a real thing that's known and imperfect.

Beyond that, the list makes no sense. #1 is...it's faster and smarter. Riiiiiiight. Even as a concept, the Touchpad is noticeably slower and choppier than the iPad 1. How do you qualify it being "smarter"? Because it has a more advanced processor? It's rubbish. #2 is subjective in the extreme. #5 is built upon you buying an HP WebOS phone. #8 isn't even true (Touchstones do use wires, alas). #9 is already available on iPad partially due to HP's own ePrint!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    I just felt that even if the iPad 2 features comparable or even better specs (cameras, retina display and whatnot), the TouchPad would still be a better device all round because of webOS and Flash support. Hardware is always changing but the core experience webOS offers beats any competition IMO.
    And if the article led with this, at least it would be honest in its lopsided bias, even if it gained no more value as an informative editorial. After all, I could rewrite the same for virtually any platform.

"If you like the Apple experience, the iPad is the best!"
    "If you like the Google experience, the Honeycomb tablets are the best!"
    "If you like the Windows 7 experience, the HP Slate...."
  10. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And if the article led with this, at least it would be honest in its lopsided bias, even if it gained no more value as an informative editorial. After all, I could rewrite the same for virtually any platform.

"If you like the Apple experience, the iPad is the best!"
    "If you like the Google experience, the Honeycomb tablets are the best!"
    "If you like the Windows 7 experience, the HP Slate...."
    You could write those articles. You're more than welcome to do so.

However, contrary to what you might think of it, the article was not written in malice towards the iPad or Apple. In fact, the vast majority of news I cover involves iOS and Android. I saw no harm in giving webOS a bit of much needed publicity and morale boosting at the expense of the already accomplished iPad, which has nothing to lose from what I have said.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    Having used an ipad for a while I can give my opinion that webos 1.4.5 is already better than ios4. Once flash is working that will be a huge advantage over ios... Can't stream any videos from web pages or scroll through menues within a webpage really sucks. Its a subpar websurfing experience. Fortunately for apple their selection of great apps somewhat makes up for this. As for wireless charging... Nothing is better than a touchstone currently and even apple fans will tell you that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well considering that the Touchpad is HP/Palm's 'first go' they are gonna find it hard to match a second generation device. However I'd by a touchpad over any other tablets any day...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    the Touchpad has a dual core, graphics card and 1gig of RAM. It is top of the line bleeding edge hardware. What the heck could iPad 2 come out with that is better? Those Specs beat out the newer netbooks. You know what even if the Touchpad was released TODAY and TouchPad 2 was released in 4-5 months. You know what it would have.......a dual core, graphics card and 1gig of RAM. I doubt iPad 2 will do better than this. My guess is it will match these specs and everyone will be like see the iPad is so great even though there is no hardware difference. I doubt we will see a 2ghz Quad-Core, 2gig ram, NVIDIA 2gig dedicated ddr3 ram, 15 megapixel front and back camera iPad 2. So Everyone needs to relax.
    Just for clarity:
    Editorial - of or relating to an article stating opinions or giving perspectives; "editorial column"

Emphasis mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Plus iPad can print, no wire and other stuffs that he puts on the list. He probably never used iPad
    Well, the iPad can actually print natively in iOS 4.2 using AirPrint. But there is a very limited numbers of printers that actually support this yet (about 10 models, all of which are HP printers btw).

The TouchPad supports hundreds of HP printers, and in particular probably the HP Photosmart or LaserJet you already own:

(From the TouchPad product page)
    The webOS print solution will support all network-capable HP printers that support PCL page description language in the local LAN. These printers include new HP ePrint-capable printersPhotosmart, Officejet, and LaserJetas well as legacy printers approximately 5 years old or newer. ePrint requires an Internet connection to the printer.

--
    Disclaimer: I work for HP (print division), and these are personal opinions, and so on...
  16.    #16  
    Sorry, but no. It's still a ridiculous comparison. If they were both on the market, there might be some merit, but the TouchPad is merely a concept, not a finished product. So all we know are its attributes/strengths, while every weakness can be explained away with "It's not finished yet/They are still tweaking/etc." Meanwhile, the iPad is a real device that countless people have lived with and used, and exhaustively found every shortcoming as well as benefit.
    Mikah, you seem to be "big" on facts and not opinions so let's make sure you have this fact.

The TouchPad is NOT A CONCEPT. The hardware is finished. That's why they can release specs for said hardware. Not a wish list, not a theoretical concept but cold hard specs (those are facts where I come from).

The OS is still being tweaked but the functions called out in the editorial piece are all very real working pieces of software. Not conceptual ideas yet to be put in code. In fact most of them work nicely on the current public release of webOS 2.0.1

And wireless charging... who else out there (apple, Dell, microsoft, HTC, Samsung, Motorolla) currently has a native wireless charging implementation? There are no metal contacts on the outside of the device to touch any other metal or conductive contacts on said charging dock. OF COURSE YOU HAVE WIRES GOING TO A TOUCHSTONE FROM THE OUTLET, unless you have figured out a way to harness the electromagnetic fields of the earth.

It's an EDITORIAL that includes some FACTS and some OPINIONS. And I for one am glad to see one that tends toward the positive!
  17. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Buddy, I don't care if you slag iPad or Honeycomb or a PC. The problem with this editorial is two-fold.

1) You are blatantly dishonest because you attempt to provide a list of "reasons" why you believe this to be so, then admit here that "I just felt that even if the iPad 2 features comparable or even better specs (cameras, retina display and whatnot), the TouchPad would still be a better device all round because of webOS and Flash support." So it being "faster", "smarter", or having a front-facing camera is irrelevant. You would reach the exact same conclusion even if you didn't believe TouchPad had those attributes. The editorial is based on a false premise. It's a lie.

2) Even if you have your opinion as to why this is the case, you must at least state facts correctly when you state them to support your opinion. iPad ePrints. It has for some time.
    I think you're getting rather animated about my "opinion". I am not going to speculate as to whether or not the HP TouchPad will be better than the iPad 2 and feel no way obligated to express that opinion in an article that has nothing to do with the iPad 2. I only gave my thoughts on it since it was brought up here. And quite frankly, you're really just mincing words with me calling the TouchPad "smarter". It's not crazy to think a tablet would be capable of smarter features and applications with more processing power under the hood. That's all I meant.

As for the iPad ePrint, the point I was making is that printing on the webOS is supported out of the box with virtually every HP printer released in the past few years (HP's words), which to the best of my knowledge is not the case with ePrint, which supports select range of HP printers.

Anyway, I appreciate that you don't agree with the article but believe me that I had no illusions about it being an exhaustive comparison. It is what it is.
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    We been through this before - I think Mikah, like me, thinks it's fundamentally dishonest to compare unreleased tech with tech that people are using. It is impossible to get a full view of the touchpad because it's untouched by users at this point. In actual everyday usage, it could be fantastic or it could have some flaw that we are unaware of.

Windows phone 7 getting multi-tasking might be fantastic and better than the WebOS implementation but who can say without actual usage?

A review based on extensive usage of both is useful, a review by someone who's not actually touched one of the devices is a waste of electrons.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    the Touchpad has a dual core, graphics card and 1gig of RAM. It is top of the line bleeding edge hardware. What the heck could iPad 2 come out with that is better? Those Specs beat out the newer netbooks. You know what even if the Touchpad was released TODAY and TouchPad 2 was released in 4-5 months. You know what it would have.......a dual core, graphics card and 1gig of RAM. I doubt iPad 2 will do better than this. My guess is it will match these specs and everyone will be like see the iPad is so great even though there is no hardware difference. I doubt we will see a 2ghz Quad-Core, 2gig ram, NVIDIA 2gig dedicated ddr3 ram, 15 megapixel front and back camera iPad 2. So Everyone needs to relax.
    Two features are missing. It isn't a nice aluminum color, and it doesn't have the image of an apple embossed on the back. Also, I was really annoyed that Ruby didn't wear a black turtleneck when he introduced it. What was he thinking?
    Mikah, you seem to be "big" on facts and not opinions so let's make sure you have this fact.

The TouchPad is NOT A CONCEPT. The hardware is finished. That's why they can release specs for said hardware. Not a wish list, not a theoretical concept but cold hard specs (those are facts where I come from).
    Where I come from, it's called a spec sheet. I'm pretty sure the iPad 2 has finished hardware and locked specs if they are manufacturing it for a 12-month refresh cycle. But it is not a finished product to consumers. Merely a concept. Hopefully, that clears things up.

The OS is still being tweaked but the functions called out in the editorial piece are all very real working pieces of software. Not conceptual ideas yet to be put in code. In fact most of them work nicely on the current public release of webOS 2.0.1
    Oh, so the TouchPad has been bookmarked and objectively proven to be both "faster" and "smarter" than an iPad 2? Really? Has anyone put the media app through its paces? Last I heard, it was a static screenshot that no hands-on demo has gone beyond. But who cares about media on a tablet, right?

And wireless charging... who else out there (apple, Dell, microsoft, HTC, Samsung, Motorolla) currently has a native wireless charging implementation? There are no metal contacts on the outside of the device to touch any other metal or conductive contacts on said charging dock. OF COURSE YOU HAVE WIRES GOING TO A TOUCHSTONE FROM THE OUTLET, unless you have figured out a way to harness the electromagnetic fields of the earth.
    LG Revolution gets Fulton inductive charging back, HTC and Samsung handsets joining the party soon -- Engadget

It's an EDITORIAL that includes some FACTS and some OPINIONS. And I for one am glad to see one that tends toward the positive!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/14/2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: insulting comment deleted
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast