Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 104
  1. #81  
    We do something about it day in and day out.

    This forum has the ability to accept opinions from cheerers and jeerers.

    It's a phone. It reflects little to nothing on who we are as people.

    Now, when the debate escalates to insulting the individual, that's when we've let our phone manipulate our personality.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I've seen this nonsensical argument before. By your reasoning, if the Touchstone was battery powered, then it would be wireless charging. What the!!!! Of course IT IS wireless charging. There is no wire connected to the device being charged.
    um, that was my point. Please read the context, including the post I was responding to. Then try again.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Your (plural) posts all speak for themselves. Any objective observer will see it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There's a difference between being a cheerleader and providing honest feedback.

    Cardfan, Mikah and others have something to say, and like it or lump it, they hit the nail on the head.

    WebOS has a ton of great potential, but choosing to compare an upcoming device against a device a generation behind is what got Palm into hot water to start with. Here we go, it's happening all over again.

    If the biggest fans of the platform can't see this, i'm afraid HP is going to go down the same path that Palm did with WebOS. IMO, the top brass of what's left of the original Palm team needs to get a few pink slips.

    They talk a big game, but where are we now?

    We've got a tablet that brings some interesting things to the table, that's at least 4 months away from launch, that's setting itself up to compete against a piece of hardware that's almost a year old.

    We've got a couple of phones, that aren't all that different than the original Pre, that don't have release dates.

    We are starting over from scratch, with seemingly no urgency to get the products to market. We've got a team that earlier this week, decided to completely alienate all of the remaining supporters of the platform.

    Sure, the commenters that you are referring to might have a tad bit of negative tones in their posts, but, I'm asking, can you blame them?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    There's a difference between being a cheerleader and providing honest feedback.

    Cardfan, Mikah and others have something to say, and like it or lump it, they hit the nail on the head.

    WebOS has a ton of great potential, but choosing to compare an upcoming device against a device a generation behind is what got Palm into hot water to start with. Here we go, it's happening all over again.
    I disagree - everyone leapfrogs. When the iPad2 specs are released and before it ships (if there are specs out before shipment) there will be comparisons between it and anything else out there at that time. You can only compare to known quantities - spec sheets included. Speculative discussion about what the iPad2 will or will not do that will make the HP Touchpad less competitive is fine - but it does not invalidate the comparison to the current market leading status quo.

    It is reasonable to point out that the cautious reviewer should probably mention that no one is certain what specs the rumored iPad2 will have or the release date and that it is likely that this will improve in many ways over the iPad which could erode or remove advantages that the Touchpad has over the iPad.

    But to call the comparison a waste of time or dishonest appears to be missing the point. You can only compare what is known - and what is known today is what is shipping or announced not what is rumored.
  5. #85  
    The problem with comparing specs is iOS and webOS don't offer the same clock for clock performance. eg, a 600MHz iPhone 3GS is far more responsive than an overclocked 1GHz Pre Plus.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    But to call the comparison a waste of time or dishonest appears to be missing the point. You can only compare what is known - and what is known today is what is shipping or announced not what is rumored.
    Respectfully, I disagree if a comparison between known hardware quantities isn't being made but rather a comparison between an OS you are predisposed to pick at all costs and any other competitor regardless of their merits. That's what they call a "fixed fight".
  7. #87  
    The original list didn't even mention the TouchPad's stereo "Beats Audio" speakers!
  8. #88  
    On 1/28/11, PreCentral reported that Apotheker: HP to ship products within weeks of announcement, wants to sit at the cool kids table:
    “HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship.” The next announcement comes in less than two weeks on February 9th, and the HP CEO promised that products announced there will be available a few weeks later.

    HP announced the TouchPad on February 9, 2011 but is not shipping a few weeks later: "HP TouchPad is scheduled to be available in the summer. Exact pricing and availability will be announced at a later date."

    Can we agree that if the TouchPad were "available a few weeks", it would certainly be fair to compare it to the current iPad?

    Might it be fair to mention that the iPad shipped 4/3/10, and the TouchPad is scheduled between June 2011 and September 2011?

    Might it be fair to mention that the iPad 2 is expected before the TouchPad is released?

    As the author states:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    ...I just felt that even if the iPad 2 features comparable or even better specs (cameras, retina display and whatnot), the TouchPad would still be a better device all round because of webOS and Flash support. Hardware is always changing but the core experience webOS offers beats any competition IMO. .
    The author says that specs whatnot are always changing. Just the core experience matters. So don't consider:
    1. Faster, smarter iPad 2
    2. UI - most desired OS
    3. Front-facing camera on the iPad 2
    4. Multimedia - not relevant that iTunes is the largest multimedia source.
    5. It talks to your phone - not relevant that iPad contacts and info updates are updated on the iPhone.
    6. Just Type - iOS Voice Commands.
    7. Sharing is caring - Apple NFC patents and specs are not relevant
    8. Look mom, no wires - the iPad powerMat, etc. are not relevant either
    9. Wireless Printing - Apple AirPrint is not relevant.
    10. ‘True multitasking’ - just another spec.

    Then why list these 10 specs?

    If you are comparing projected future products that do not have set pricing or availability, should you mention projected future products for both companies?

    We may not like Apple much. iTunes takes your music. Steve Jobs says that there is one correct phone that everyone should have.

    Still, we should be as fair as we can be in our comparisons.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/15/2011 at 07:01 PM.
  9. #89  
    it would be fair if the ipad2 were acknowldged and specs published.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it would be fair if the ipad2 were acknowldged and specs published.
    Which they won't be... I have been hanging out in random bars in Cali looking for the new iPad... can't find one.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  11. #91  
    lol ha ha
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Which they won't be... I have been hanging out in random bars in Cali looking for the new iPad... can't find one.
    LOL that's just an excuse. You'd be hanging out in those bars anyway!

    best.post.today
  13. #93  
    Oy...

    Look, the OP and the article is NOT "dishonest" - he's stating his opinion based on published information - I believe that if the iPad2 specs were announced, that device would have been included in his article, as well...

    This was not a "review" of either product, just his summation of what he percieves as the top 10 advantages that the TouchPad specs have over the iPad specs, David Letterman style.

    I posted an article that ZDnet did on the Pre2, which the author didn't have, but, he talked positively about, in another thread here a while back, and the same cast of objectors were quick to chime in with posts to criticize and degrade the author in the same way, calling him dishonest, etc....

    Geez.. get a grip, its just information sharing, and, hey, its not like the article had anything to gain with the post, other than to share his views.

    If you don't agree, fine, but, the article doesnt purport to be a full review of both products - just a feature list of what the TouchPad is spec'd as, versus what the iPad is know to have - that's what ANY perspective buyer of either product would want to see a review of, at least as part of thier own due dilligence, in preparing for a time when both devices are available for him/her to purchase...

    I see nothing wrong with the article, or its content, and Im NOT a "pad" guy in any regard...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #94  
    What the h3!! is wrong with this forum... seriously

    I mean for pete's sake, the article was basically summing up the advantages the touchpad has over the ipad that's SOFTWARE related. Just because the first point was about the processor, which obviously it is the top of the line, doesn't mean anything. SPECS DON'T MATTER

    Software does these days.

    These are the reasons listed why the touchpad trumps the current ipad, innovation wise:
    UI to die for
    Front-facing camera
    No multimedia apartheid
    It talks to your phone
    Just Type
    Sharing is caring
    Wireless Printing
    ‘True multitasking’

    8 out of the 10 are simply innovative, "webOS vs iOS" advantages. None of those have anything to do with hardware, or how fast it is.

    Stick to the damn topic of the thread
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Oy...

    Look, the OP and the article is NOT "dishonest" - he's stating his opinion based on published information - I believe that if the iPad2 specs were announced, that device would have been included in his article, as well...

    This was not a "review" of either product, just his summation of what he percieves as the top 10 advantages that the TouchPad specs have over the iPad specs, David Letterman style.

    I posted an article that ZDnet did on the Pre2, which the author didn't have, but, he talked positively about, in another thread here a while back, and the same cast of objectors were quick to chime in with posts to criticize and degrade the author in the same way, calling him dishonest, etc....

    Geez.. get a grip, its just information sharing, and, hey, its not like the article had anything to gain with the post, other than to share his views.

    If you don't agree, fine, but, the article doesnt purport to be a full review of both products - just a feature list of what the TouchPad is spec'd as, versus what the iPad is know to have - that's what ANY perspective buyer of either product would want to see a review of, at least as part of thier own due dilligence, in preparing for a time when both devices are available for him/her to purchase...

    I see nothing wrong with the article, or its content, and Im NOT a "pad" guy in any regard...
    In a vacuum, the article, however subjective and occasionally inaccurate I found it to be, was never the problem, and I think we stopped substantively discussing it around page 2 of this thread.

    What the author said here was the problem to me, and I've already gone over why exhaustively. We all either agree or disagree. I think it's been beaten to death already.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In a vacuum, the article, however subjective and occasionally inaccurate I found it to be, was never the problem, and I think we stopped substantively discussing it around page 2 of this thread.

    What the author said here was the problem to me, and I've already gone over why exhaustively. We all either agree or disagree. I think it's been beaten to death already.
    Agreed. The article was yet-another-weblog-opinion (YAWO) - plenty of those around. The problem was the underhandedness of the author by pretending to be "neutral" in the article but in actuality (as admitted in this forum) had a completely different agenda hidden under that faux neutrality. Truly bad form.
  17. #97  
    The article was good read for me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  18. #98  
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yeah, its useless to compare a device that is months away from coming out, to a device that has been out for almost a year.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19. #99  
    Wow this thread went to the dogs didn't it lol lots of barking and growling , even a little bit of sniffing going on lol .

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20. #100  
    Mikah, I don't quite see how the OP's preference of webOS invalidates his top ten list. The overall joy of using webOS may be his most important reason for stating the Touchpad will eb better than the Ipad, but all the other reasons are still valid from a theoretical standpoint. If say the Ipad were announced and matched the Touchpad spec for spec, then perhaps this article would be a "Top 2 Reasons" article instead, in which he just mentions the advantages of webOS. I just don't understand how you feel that this preference wipes out any other advantages such as front facign camera and wireless charging...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions