Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    I wonder why every platform are adding some form of multi-tasking, since some here seem to give Ruby such a hard time when he states webOS is the only platform that can do true multi-tasking and plays it up as a big deal?

    There must really be something to being able to multitask on a platform.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/14/2011 at 12:04 PM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I wonder why every platform are adding some form of multi-tasking, since some here seem to give Ruby such a hard time when you states webOS is the only platform that can do true multi-tasking?

    There must really be something to being able to multitask on a platform.
    That's probably because this is a better method of mobile multitasking than webOS utilizes.
  3. #23  
    I wouldn't be impressed with HP if it kept competitors from using its innovations. I would be impressed if they kept plodding along coming up with one innovation after another to keep people interested.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I wonder why every platform are adding some form of multi-tasking, since some here seem to give Ruby such a hard time when you states webOS is the only platform that can do true multi-tasking?

    There must really be something to being able to multitask on a platform.
    I think people give him a hard time on two fronts:
    1. Suggesting that there is one true way to multitask
    2. Suggesting webOS is the only platform that does it


    I don't think people here think the ability to multitask is a bad thing. Now I have seen some Apple fans claim that it is not needed then change their mind once they got it.
  5. #25  
    People really confuse multi-tasking with Multitasking UI.


    Windows Phone 7, as he mentioned himself in the video, suffered from poor multi-tasking in general. Games would need to come out of hibernation mode and it would take 5-10 seconds some times. Android and iOS multitasking is instant and fast....they jsut use an icon way of selecting an app when switching between programs.

    The funny part is Windows Phone 7 UI Motiff does essentially lead itself to card swiping (since most of the OS is side swiping rather than verticle swiping.
  6. #26  
    Its getting harder for webos... webos is the best os with its user interface... but the other os are moving fast forward, so soon there will be no advantage of webos.

    Good for the customers, they will have to choose the best hardware in future, because there will be less difference between WP7, iOS, Android and so on...
    and of course the app store market bla bla will be very important.

    So it seems HPalm has some dark cloudes in the future, even if they are still moving slowly...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I think people give him a hard time on two fronts:
    1. Suggesting that there is one true way to multitask
    2. Suggesting webOS is the only platform that does it


    I don't think people here think the ability to multitask is a bad thing. Now I have seen some Apple fans claim that it is not needed then change their mind once they got it.
    Understood, but Ruby's suggestions are mere marketing tools (albeit with merits), I wouldn't expect anything less.

    You are correct about some iphone users. Many of my friends, now boast about being able to muti-task, while 2yrs ago it was no big deal. Lets go HP, bring on the devices sooner than latter.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/14/2011 at 01:02 PM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by huso81 View Post
    Its getting harder for webos... webos is the best os with its user interface... but the other os are moving fast forward, so soon there will be no advantage of webos.

    Good for the customers, they will have to choose the best hardware in future, because there will be less difference between WP7, iOS, Android and so on...
    and of course the app store market bla bla will be very important.

    So it seems HPalm has some dark cloudes in the future, even if they are still moving slowly...
    Yep, it will come down to platform & apps.

    Google has their search & google apps. Apple has itunes and huge app library. MS has Office (the real thing), xbox, search, maps, their OS on 90% of all computers (even HP's), etc.

    This leaves HP with what exactly? Nothing to leverage. Trying to buy up cheap replacements isn't what people want.

    Things like tap to share are just gimmicks that other platforms can quickly copy. But the reverse isn't true. HP can't copy the core services that the bigger 3 have to offer. At some point they'll pull the plug on webOS and go the OEM route.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Things like tap to share are just gimmicks that other platforms can quickly copy. But the reverse isn't true.
    I agree with you here but think tap to share will be a useful feature. The problem to me is when it's limited to only HP products. NFC is being baked into Android and will give similar functionality to any device that supports the standard (they won't have to be Android devices).

    I don't want to (and probably wouldn't ever) buy a refrigerator from HP but would love to tap my phone to my refrigerator and it send my grocery list and other "to do" items to my phone as I walk out to run errands or tap my phone on a cash registor to pay for my groceries or tap a photo frame to change the currently displayed photo or tap a stand with my phone and be charged for a transit ride rather than dealing with tokens, etc. This is where I see NFC going. Without it working outside of just my phone and my tablet, it will be reduced to a gimmick-level status as you've mentioned.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #30  
    By the time touch to share is actually available for anyone to use, I would think that it Android (and iOS?) will have the drop on it. It will come across as "me too".
  11. #31  
    Some would argue that it's already "me too" considering you can bump to share items on Android and iOS right now.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I agree with you here but think tap to share will be a useful feature. The problem to me is when it's limited to only HP products. NFC is being baked into Android and will give similar functionality to any device that supports the standard (they won't have to be Android devices).

    This is where I see NFC going. Without it working outside of just my phone and my tablet, it will be reduced to a gimmick-l
    evel status as you've mentioned.
    Not that I want a tablet but by going the hp route they are making it so you have to buy a hp phone if you want to utilize certain features on their tablet also guaranteeing them a phone sale. I perfer the NFC route so I can buy what I want independent of my phone or tablet choice.

    Sfm Evo
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #33  
    more than that, I think that touch to share is limited to paired devices with the same profile?
  14. #34  
    I agree that's what they are trying to do and I don't think it's a bad move. I'm not convinced it will work for them until they get the rest of the ecosystem running.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Some would argue that it's already "me too" considering you can bump to share items on Android and iOS right now.
    Good find, I totally forgot about that feature...I was just thinking about Chrome to phone a Android's built share feature. You won't be able to tell them that, they will swear up down that they had it first on the tablet.

    Sfm Evo
  16. SteveM626's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #36  
    Cheaters! They copied webos
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM626 View Post
    Cheaters! They copied webos
    No, its called competing and now hp needs to one up the competition...they only have themselves to blame for not patenting a great idea.

    Sfm Evo
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    snip... Now I have seen some Apple fans claim that it is not needed then change their mind once they got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Understood, but Ruby's suggestions are mere marketing tools (albeit with merits), I wouldn't expect anything less.

    You are correct about some iphone users. Many of my friends, now boast about being able to muti-task, while 2yrs ago it was no big deal. Lets go HP, bring on the devices sooner than latter.
    You have to understand the Apple acolyte mind-share. Anything their preferred platform lacks is not needed, until Uncle Steve gets around to giving it to them and shows them how it's sudde
    suddenly "magical" on IOS

    (ie: cut and paste, universal mailbox, MMS, AVRCP, A2DP, rudimentary multitask)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions