Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I repeat again android does not multitask properly. I'm certain that everyone can think of at least one scenario where it fails at multitasking but yet the reflex response is it does an acceptable job just because of superior hardware.

This is software we're discussing.

If my youtube video resets to the beginning because I switched away to check a text message, that is NOT elegant multitasking.

If my contact card closes because I switched away to look up a phone number on the internet, that is NOT proper multitasking.

If the audio for both navigation and mp3's play at the SAME time, that is NOT proper multitasking.

For those who have experienced some of these isssues, please continue to post them so that it can be documented. I find this inexcusable for a mobile OS that has done so well in the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    I repeat again android does not multitask properly.
    Android simply closes something when is short in memory, this behavior is easily configurable, specially on the custom ROMs.

BTW Android is not the only other OS out there, Maemo/Moblin is a true linux and does multitask as any other linux distro: perfectly.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616

If my youtube video resets to the beginning because I switched away to check a text message, that is NOT elegant multitasking.

If my contact card closes because I switched away to look up a phone number on the internet, that is NOT proper multitasking.

If the audio for both navigation and mp3's play at the SAME time, that is NOT proper multitasking.

I experience ALL 3 of these and it has been quite annoying considering webOS didn't have these problems. The contact page resetting is the most inexcusable. It seems to be the HTC people app implementation because other HTC stock apps aren't this bad.

But at least with Android you have options. I can probably find an alternative that behaves better in many situations. I haven't tried anything other than the stock music player, but I'm sure there is one out there that works well with Navi.

I wonder what the iPhone/WinPho7 experience is for this..?
    Last edited by giograves; 02/25/2011 at 03:39 AM.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    So now the process is, hold down the home button, wait for the icons to pop up, search for the app you had open, realize it's not there, hit the home button again to close the recent list, swipe through your home screens to find the icon for the app you were using, and tap to open it back up. But hey, it was still running back there so that's all that counts. It's technically multitasking
    Wow. No.

You can hit Home > Folder > App.

In three taps you can be in any of up to 256 apps. No fumbling through cards or screens. Just set up the folders on your main homescreen just like Apple iPhones do.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/25/2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Wow. No.

You can hit Home > Folder > App.

In three taps you can be in any of up to 256 apps. No fumbling through cards or screens. Just set up the folders on your main homescreen just like Apple iPhones do.
    You're not reading the thread. That answer was in reference to what happens when you're trying to get to recent apps and what you're looking for is no longer there.

And are you saying that three taps and finding an app icon among 256 others (or even just the 16 that will fit on a home screen) is easier than the "fumbling" of sweeping my finger left or right?

Y'all can do whatever you want. I prefer being able to open an app, have it stay open as long as I want, stay in whatever state I left it in until I return and be able to switch between them without a lot of clicking around.
    Let's compare to the gold standard for multitasking, the desktop computer. Multiple windows remain open until YOU decide when to close them. I don't want the computer or phone deciding to close an app because it ran out of memory. Hello McFly why is my youtube video resetting because I had to switch away to check a text message?
    Let's compare to the gold standard for multitasking, the desktop computer. Multiple windows remain open until YOU decide when to close them. I don't want the computer or phone deciding to close an app because it ran out of memory. Hello McFly why is my youtube video resetting because I had to switch away to check a text message?
    It's difficult and unjust to compare two different paradigms. Too many compromises need to be made for a mobile platform for it to be compared to the likes of a desktop platform.
    Hello McFly why is my youtube video resetting because I had to switch away to check a text message?
    Because who built the youtube client made that choice, this has nothing to do with the OS iself, or whit its mutitasking capability.

Simply they have decided that the too mani cards message is more annoying than a sw that automatically release its resources and (in some cases) resists its state.

BTW this discussion was intended as webos v.s. rest of the world, and the rest of the world is not just android. Technically the main competitor of Webos is Maemo/Moblin, and maemo (unlike webos) is a fully featured linux OS, technically and on the ethic side. It fight webos also on the challenge for the unluckiest mobile os (and I'm afraid will lose).

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Agreed, for now, however, as smartphones become more and more powerful, and are capable of doing more, it will become a more relevant feature to do "right" (meaning with the most ease of use).

That doesn't mean it will make it the most popular mobile OS out there, however, we won't know for a few years, when the smartphone and tablet markets mature, and WebOS has been a viable choice on all devices for sometime - and real feedback from lots of users is readily available.
    Sounds like pure spectulation to me. History tells me it doesn't have to be perfect it has to be good enough. And right now it's good enough on other platforms and i'd guess it will be in the future. But even so, Right now multitasking isn't something that makes most people buy phones. Anyways look at PCs, nobody ever brings up how they multitask as a reason to buy a phone. No one is like i hate alt tab, it looks better on my mac book, i'm buying a mac instead. So as phones get just as powerful as PCs why would they be any different?

it doesn't matter. It's just an argument people like to cling to because they thought it would be a huge selling point. Fact is it just doesn't matter to most people. it's like arguing a Yugo is better then a Toyota Camry cause it has better floor mats. it's just not important to most people.

Do you think that bikes should have the (say) the air conditioner just because the cars have it ?

A smartphone is a smartphone it has to be handy as a mobile device.

It's true that the borders are blurring, but when this happen the OS evolves according to the evolution.

Look @atrix just for an example: you can use it also as a webtop but when this happens android changes its behaviour.

Look at operamini, you can't call it a full featured browser, but is *by far* the best option to browse the majority of the web pages from a mobile device.

All in all what counts is the final result not the way to reach it.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    Because who built the youtube client made that choice, this has nothing to do with the OS iself, or whit its mutitasking capability.
    Absolutely, but the odd thing is we are talking about the google created client which i'd think wouldn't have TAKEN AWAY this capability. I could return to my place in a vid in an older version, not with the newest.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Agree that whoever built the youtube client made that decision, but the average joe probably doesn't care and wants a working solution straight out of the box. I just find it fascinating that there are so many people willing to defend android's multitasking ability. Android does a lot of things well but multitasking is not one of them. I'm a former Pre user and now have the Evo. The only reason I put up with its multitasking frustrations is because of its robust hardware. If the original Pre came with similar hardware, this would be moot issue.
    Agree that whoever built the youtube client made that decision, but the average joe probably doesn't care and wants a working solution straight out of the box. I just find it fascinating that there are so many people willing to defend android's multitasking ability. Android does a lot of things well but multitasking is not one of them. I'm a former Pre user and now have the Evo. The only reason I put up with its multitasking frustrations is because of its robust hardware. If the original Pre came with similar hardware, this would be moot issue.
    /sigh....

To everyone who uses the precentral.net forums:

NORMAL USERS (ie, users who dont overclock, homebrew patch, etc their phones.....the VAST MAJORITY of phone users), DO NOT CARE about these little details. Ive asked like 15-20 of my friends, some have iphones, a few have evos, 1 has a pre, and the rest a few various android phones.....

Their response to this? "Oh thats just how the phone works, i dont think its too big of an issue. I just have to finish a video before leaving the app"
    Me: "Wouldnt it be nicer if you could switch apps and come back to it being at the same place? I know a phone that can do that"
    Them: "Well yeah it would, but i really like this phone, so its not a deal breaker"

Most of smart phone users who arent giant nerds like all of us (), do not care so much about these details as we do. IF THEY DID, android wouldnt be doing so well, would it?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Let's compare to the gold standard for multitasking, the desktop computer.
    Multitasking on a desktop is most certainly not the gold standard for multitasking on a mobile phone. In fact, most of the metaphors used on a desktop are inappropriate in the mobile space. As barkerja mentioned, the two are vastly different.
    Let's compare to the gold standard for multitasking, the desktop computer.
    Multitasking on a desktop is most certainly not the gold standard for multitasking on a mobile phone. In fact, most of the metaphors used on a desktop are inappropriate in the mobile space. As barkerja mentioned, the two are vastly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    But! But! OMGZ THE PRE IS DA BEST!
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Multitasking on a desktop PC nowadays is so good, people don't even think about it and appreciate it - they take it for granted and its a part of their every day workflow.

That is indeed the "Gold Standard".

Smartphones and tablets aren't primary workhorses - yet, and, so, I think its fair to say that multitasking on those devices isn't as important - yet.

Despite blackmagic's misinterpretation of my previous post, I'll say it again:

As mobile devices become more powerful hardware-wise, and are able to perform more necessary and primary functions, allowing users to do more on them, multi-tasking WILL become something of a much higher importance to users, and not just the "pwer users", but, the every day users.

I don't antiicpate that this will happen for a few years, though - the market is still immature and developing, and the consumers are still in the "love affair" stage with new and devices, as they appear.. once everyone has had a few smartphones and they have fit it into their lives, they'll know what they need it for and just what phone will suit them.

As for WebOS's ability to multi-task, it certainly is regarded as the best and most intuitive mobile OS to implement it, if you go by the tech blogs and reviewers - Im pretty sure most consumers, knowledgable or not, would agree...

But, it's really not high on the list of factors for their (most consumers) buying decisions - yet - if it were, iOS and Android, both of which don't really have the elegance and straightforward implementation of multitasking that WebOS does, wouldn't be as successful as they are today as mobile OS's.

Most people don't care - yet, but, I am of the very firm belief that one day, they will... just as firm as I was in 2001 when the Treo 90 first caught my eye, and I could see that one day, phones would be much more than communication devices - they'd be real computers running applications - I received lots of criticism from that speculation back then, all based on much of the same logic presented here today about multitasking: "who needs it or would want it - its just not a necessity".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Really wish people would understand that desktop and mobile are different enough that you can't use one as a standard (gold or otherwise) for the other. But oh well. I think the parable of leading a horse to water comes in handy here. You must choose to drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Really wish people would understand that desktop and mobile are different enough that you can't use one as a standard (gold or otherwise) for the other. But oh well. I think the parable of leading a horse to water comes in handy here. You must choose to drink.
    Its not comparing for equality, but, to compare to see which system comes closest to the ideal.

Everyone does it, in all walks of life.

You WANT a ferrari, but, instead, you buy Nissan Z.

You WANT a Picasso, but, you buy a well done abstract from a local artist.

You WANT that job that you can make $1m/year, but, you gladly take the job you have and have NO complaints.

You WANT desktop multitasking capabilities on your smartphone, so you forsake iOS and Android and WP7 for a WebOS device (I know, I'm being bad here.. coudlnt help it!)

Just because the "GOld Standard" can't be obtained, doesnt mean its not relevant.

It is, and it isnt necessarliy a bad thing, either, as it helps technology aspire to greater improvements.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Multitasking on a desktop PC nowadays is so good, people don't even think about it and appreciate it - they take it for granted and its a part of their every day workflow.

That is indeed the "Gold Standard".

Smartphones and tablets aren't primary workhorses - yet, and, so, I think its fair to say that multitasking on those devices isn't as important - yet.

Despite blackmagic's misinterpretation of my previous post, I'll say it again:

As mobile devices become more powerful hardware-wise, and are able to perform more necessary and primary functions, allowing users to do more on them, multi-tasking WILL become something of a much higher importance to users, and not just the "pwer users", but, the every day users.

I don't antiicpate that this will happen for a few years, though - the market is still immature and developing, and the consumers are still in the "love affair" stage with new and devices, as they appear.. once everyone has had a few smartphones and they have fit it into their lives, they'll know what they need it for and just what phone will suit them.

As for WebOS's ability to multi-task, it certainly is regarded as the best and most intuitive mobile OS to implement it, if you go by the tech blogs and reviewers - Im pretty sure most consumers, knowledgable or not, would agree...

But, it's really not high on the list of factors for their (most consumers) buying decisions - yet - if it were, iOS and Android, both of which don't really have the elegance and straightforward implementation of multitasking that WebOS does, wouldn't be as successful as they are today as mobile OS's.

Most people don't care - yet, but, I am of the very firm belief that one day, they will... just as firm as I was in 2001 when the Treo 90 first caught my eye, and I could see that one day, phones would be much more than communication devices - they'd be real computers running applications - I received lots of criticism from that speculation back then, all based on much of the same logic presented here today about multitasking: "who needs it or would want it - its just not a necessity".

There will be one factor that will never allow smart phones cross into the desktop territory: size. Who really wants to do the things you do on your desktop on a device that's visually >= 20" smaller?

At least, that's my opinion.

Tablets, on the other hand, we'll continue to see those evolve.