Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 165
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No, it's just the only one that does it the way it does.
    Which happens to be the right way.
  2. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #62  
    It doesn't matter if it's 'true' multitasking or not really. All that matters is switching between applications and WebOS is the only one I have seen that does it seamlessly and naturally.

    Certainly not Androids slow and clunky way. Only able to switch to 7 previous apps.....

    Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Which happens to be the right way.
    Smh

    Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Which happens to be the right way.
    Say's who?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    ...Androids...Only able to switch to 7 previous apps.....
    This is not true. While it is true the home button shows the last 6-8 apps, Android's multitasking is not limited this this number. In fact, it is limited only by the amount of resources available on a device. When a new task is launched that requires more resources than is available, Android will "make room" (read: save-stating and closing apps by following a very specific set of rules). Not seeing an app in the "recently used" list does not necessarily mean the app has been closed. It simply means the app is not one of the 6-8 most recently used.

    For example, I launch the music player and continue using my device as I normally would. Long after I've opened and used more than 8 apps (which causes the music icon to fall off the most recently used list), the music player is still playing (even while there are many other tasks running that were launched before and after I launched the music player).

    I use QuickDesk and have it assigned to the double-tap of my home button. It shows me my most recent ~18 apps.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Which happens to be the right way.
    It's the right way for some but not for everyone and not in all situations. I loved it for the year that I used a Pre (OG) except for the frequent too many cards error. However there were many situations where it didn't work for me. When I'm driving and don't want to flip cards. When I'm biking, I can't flip cards. I also had to manually manage resources because of cards.

    I also love Android's multitasking because I don't have to worry about resources. TTS and Voice Commands allow me to do real-world multitasking in my personal situations. There are many times I perform tasks on the phone without ever removing it from my pocket or backpack. There are other times when I perform tasks on it that requires a single touch + voice commands (which is handy for when I can't afford to "look" at my device.

    So again, multitasking can be done comfortably on all the major mobile OSes and some of them lend themselves to certain situations more than others. None of them offer true multitasking for everyone in every situation no matter what their respective marketing department says.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Which happens to be the right way.
    Which happens to be a good way, not more or not less than a bunch of other ways..
    -------------------------------------------------

    Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  8. #68  
    However there were many situations where it didn't work for me. When I'm driving and don't want to flip cards. When I'm biking, I can't flip cards. I also had to manually manage resources because of cards.....
    Sorry, but I just HAD to interject here...

    "when you are biking"???? Are you saying that you are using your smartphone to do multiple tasks that you need to have working simultaneously, while you are peddling and steering a bicycle?

    I hope are wearing a REAL crash helmet, man, seriously... no matter what smartphone you are using, that's just plain ridiculous and unsafe, not to mention even CLOSE to a criticism of ANY mobile OS's user interface.

    So again, multitasking can be done comfortably on all the major mobile OSes and some of them lend themselves to certain situations more than others. None of them offer true multitasking for everyone in every situation no matter what their respective marketing department says.
    As previously posted, I totally agree with you, here. All OS's have the ability to do many things that a user needs at once, or at least appear to do so, and appearance is everything, in the consumer market.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Sorry, but I just HAD to interject here...

    "when you are biking"???? Are you saying that you are using your smartphone to do multiple tasks that you need to have working simultaneously, while you are peddling and steering a bicycle?

    I hope are wearing a REAL crash helmet, man, seriously... no matter what smartphone you are using, that's just plain ridiculous and unsafe, not to mention even CLOSE to a criticism of ANY mobile OS's user interface.
    Yes, I often commute to work on my bike or go on long multi-hour rides during my training. While I'm biking, I'm still able to receive emails and sms which can be read to me over my bluetooth headset. I can both initiate and receive phone calls. I'm usually using some tracking software with distance/speed readouts on the device and listening to music or a podcast. I have even needed to use the navigation system at times during bike rides. I do the vast majority of those things without ever removing the phone from my backpack or frame pouch, taking my eyes off the road/trail or even getting up out of the drops. The sole exception is needing to long-press the search button in order to initiate voice command on the few occasions I needed to tell the phone to navigate me somewhere.

    So yes sir to both of your statements. Yes, I use my smartphone to do multiple tasks that I need to have working simultaneously while I am peddling and steering a bicycle. Yes, I always wear a helmet.

    Two things your post does not address.
    1. A "user interface" is often more than what is displayed on the screen. Proper bluetooth support, voice commands, TTS, etc. are all part of how a user "interfaces" with their device.
    2. Multitasking is not limited to just what can be done on a device. If I have to stop doing a real-world task in order to do a virtual task, I'm still compromising.

    While my usage patterns may be different from yours, they are important to me and every one of them are valid considerations when I choose a mobile OS.

    Now that I've said all this, is it ok if I refer you to your signature at the bottom of your posts? Ironic, no?
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post

    Now that I've said all this, is it ok if I refer you to your signature at the bottom of your posts? Ironic, no?
    -------------------------------------------------

    Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  11. #71  
    Yes, I often commute to work on my bike or go on long multi-hour rides during my training. While I'm biking, I'm still able to receive emails and sms which can be read to me over my bluetooth headset. I can both initiate and receive phone calls. I'm usually using some tracking software with distance/speed readouts on the device and listening to music or a podcast. I have even needed to use the navigation system at times during bike rides. I do the vast majority of those things without ever removing the phone from my backpack or frame pouch, taking my eyes off the road/trail or even getting up out of the drops. The sole exception is needing to long-press the search button in order to initiate voice command on the few occasions I needed to tell the phone to navigate me somewhere.
    I see, so YOU are multitasking, not your phone, which is doing only one thing at a time, (unless you want to count managing a phone call and displaying GPS on the screen as multitasking on the device - I'd beg to disagree that this is the type of mutltitasking we are talking about, because you said you couldnt swipe cards while doing it which wouldnt be required for this, but, maybe Im wrong about that)

    So yes sir to both of your statements. Yes, I use my smartphone to do multiple tasks that I need to have working simultaneously while I am peddling and steering a bicycle. Yes, I always wear a helmet.
    Atta boy. Safety first. I hope you are able to do all that and still be aware of everything around you so that you can also give 100% of your attention and time to the actions of the cars, bicycles and people that are in your area, as well.

    Lotsa people die because they were "distracted" and didn't see someone else coming.

    Just sayin...

    Two things your post does not address.

    A "user interface" is often more than what is displayed on the screen. Proper bluetooth support, voice commands, TTS, etc. are all part of how a user "interfaces" with their device.
    Multitasking is not limited to just what can be done on a device. If I have to stop doing a real-world task in order to do a virtual task, I'm still compromising.
    1. Perhaps I should have used GUI, instead of UI, but, sincerely, that is what I meant. I apologize for any misrepresntation I might have conveyed with that use of terminology.

    2. The topic is multitasking on mobile devices, and that is exactly what I conveyed in my post. Of course it affects what a user can do! That's the whole point of my earlier post that all OS's can do it currently, and satisfy thier users - the issue of "who does it best, echnically" really is more relative to technical folk, and not the average user - if it works for you, then it suits its purpose!

    While my usage patterns may be different from yours, they are important to me and every one of them are valid considerations when I choose a mobile OS.
    Um, I hate to burst your bubble, but, I never said or implied anything about my own use, nor did I make ANY contention that "mine were right or the only way".. honestly, this comment is out of context for me; perhaps you are confusing me with someone else.

    Now that I've said all this, is it ok if I refer you to your signature at the bottom of your posts? Ironic, no?
    You don't have to, I live by it, actually, and nothing in my post is ironic, unless you don't understand the enlgish language very well, and misinterpret what I have written.

    Unfortunately, the only new thing I learned from this post from you (others, at times, have been somewhat more informative, technically) is that you have decided to live with a much higher risk for injury/death to yourself or others by multitasking riding your bicycle every day to work while using your smartphone to do more than just talk on it.

    Not something, I'd do, but, hey, its your life, I assume you are a big boy and can accept responsibility for your actions...

    Last edited by LCGuy; 02/24/2011 at 10:42 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Say's who?
    I just said it. Weren't you listening?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This is not true. While it is true the home button shows the last 6-8 apps, Android's multitasking is not limited this this number. In fact, it is limited only by the amount of resources available on a device. When a new task is launched that requires more resources than is available, Android will "make room" (read: save-stating and closing apps by following a very specific set of rules). Not seeing an app in the "recently used" list does not necessarily mean the app has been closed. It simply means the app is not one of the 6-8 most recently used.

    For example, I launch the music player and continue using my device as I normally would. Long after I've opened and used more than 8 apps (which causes the music icon to fall off the most recently used list), the music player is still playing (even while there are many other tasks running that were launched before and after I launched the music player).

    I use QuickDesk and have it assigned to the double-tap of my home button. It shows me my most recent ~18 apps.
    So now the process is, hold down the home button, wait for the icons to pop up, search for the app you had open, realize it's not there, hit the home button again to close the recent list, swipe through your home screens to find the icon for the app you were using, and tap to open it back up. But hey, it was still running back there so that's all that counts. It's technically multitasking
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It's the right way for some but not for everyone and not in all situations. I loved it for the year that I used a Pre (OG) except for the frequent too many cards error. However there were many situations where it didn't work for me. When I'm driving and don't want to flip cards. When I'm biking, I can't flip cards. I also had to manually manage resources because of cards.

    I also love Android's multitasking because I don't have to worry about resources. TTS and Voice Commands allow me to do real-world multitasking in my personal situations. There are many times I perform tasks on the phone without ever removing it from my pocket or backpack. There are other times when I perform tasks on it that requires a single touch + voice commands (which is handy for when I can't afford to "look" at my device.

    So again, multitasking can be done comfortably on all the major mobile OSes and some of them lend themselves to certain situations more than others. None of them offer true multitasking for everyone in every situation no matter what their respective marketing department says.
    What does any of that have to do with multitasking? I already said voice commands are a nice feature of Android (so long as you're somewhere quiet and you have commands memorized) but that's completely off topic. Can you be on a phone call and switch between checking SMS messages or emails or do ANYTHING else with your phone while you're on your bike with the phone in your backpack?

    And even if you could, it's a kludge that's going to totally take your focus off of your riding or driving and you'd be better off just stopping. It's not like you just speak and the phone jumps; you push a button, wait for it to tell you it's ready, say something, wait while it decides if you're done speaking, wait for it to analyze what you said, and then if it doesn't get it right you do it all over again. I ANSWER calls on my motorcycle through Bluetooth on my helmet (just like I did with my Pre) and that's about it. Multitasking? Fuhgetaboutit.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I see, so YOU are multitasking, not your phone, which is doing only one thing at a time, (unless you want to count managing a phone call and displaying GPS on the screen as multitasking on the device - I'd beg to disagree that this is the type of mutltitasking we are talking about, because you said you couldnt swipe cards while doing it which wouldnt be required for this, but, maybe Im wrong about that)
    Yes, I am multitasking. Isn't that the point of having a phone that allows multitasking? It's to allow the user to multitask, no? As for the swiping cards, the point was that there are times when I need to multitask when a card metaphor is not appropriate. By the way, the device is running multiple tasks as well with the managing a phone call and displaying GPS on the screen as multitasking on the device while playing music and listening for incoming emails and SMS. Sounds like "true multitasking" to me but I don't think I'm allowed to call it that since that apparently only exists on the webOS platform.


    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Atta boy. Safety first. I hope you are able to do all that and still be aware of everything around you so that you can also give 100% of your attention and time to the actions of the cars, bicycles and people that are in your area, as well.

    Lotsa people die because they were "distracted" and didn't see someone else coming.

    Just sayin...
    Yes I can. Thank you for your concern. The point here again is that I couldn't safely do those things if I were bound to a card metaphor.


    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    1. Perhaps I should have used GUI, instead of UI, but, sincerely, that is what I meant. I apologize for any misrepresntation I might have conveyed with that use of terminology.
    No worries. I was only stressing that "visual-based" multitasking is not always appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    2. The topic is multitasking on mobile devices, and that is exactly what I conveyed in my post. Of course it affects what a user can do! That's the whole point of my earlier post that all OS's can do it currently, and satisfy thier users - the issue of "who does it best, echnically" really is more relative to technical folk, and not the average user - if it works for you, then it suits its purpose!
    I think we agree here. Again, the overriding point of my post was that no OS fits every need. "True Multitasking" is simply a marketing ploy at this point because I've seen users (including myself) "truly" multitask on Android, iOS and webOS.



    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Um, I hate to burst your bubble, but, I never said or implied anything about my own use, nor did I make ANY contention that "mine were right or the only way".. honestly, this comment is out of context for me; perhaps you are confusing me with someone else.
    It was in response to the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    no matter what smartphone you are using, that's just plain ridiculous and unsafe, not to mention even CLOSE to a criticism of ANY mobile OS's user interface.


    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You don't have to, I live by it, actually, and nothing in my post is ironic, unless you don't understand the enlgish language very well, and misinterpret what I have written.
    The irony was in jumping to call something you don't understand "ridiculous" while quoting something that suggest humility since we don't know everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Unfortunately, the only new thing I learned from this post from you (others, at times, have been somewhat more informative, technically) is that you have decided to live with a much higher risk for injury/death to yourself or others by multitasking riding your bicycle every day to work while using your smartphone to do more than just talk on it.

    Not something, I'd do, but, hey, its your life, I assume you are a big boy and can accept responsibility for your actions...
    It really is a shame that this is all you got from my post. In fact, reaching for the water bottle attached to my bike and taking a sip requires much more focus than any of the tasks mentioned in my initial post. Perhaps we should stop and get off the bike every time we need to hydrate. Perhaps you should pull off the highway every time you wish to change the radio station or turn on your windshield wipers. You wouldn't want to live with a much higher risk for injury/death to yourself or others by multitasking while driving now would you? Fortunately there is no need for all of that since we humans can safely manage more than one task, within reason.
  16. #76  
    I do my laundry while I'm riding my bicycle.

    No, really - I do.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I do my laundry while I'm riding my bicycle.

    No, really - I do.
    I think you have lost the point of the discussion.

    Are you speaking about the multitasking itself or aare you speaking about the UI that controls the multitask ?

    If we are speaking about multitask, I have to inform You that my Sonyericsson P800 (the first true smarphone ever built) can multitask fine as it did in 2002, NINE years ago, even every cheap "featurphone" built by sonyericson can do multitask very well, and now I haven't mentioned any recent smartphone like my (fantastic) Droid Z.

    So I think that is not what you intended, probably you are speaking about the UI, the nice looking cards and so on.

    Yes the card are nice, but the rest of the os lacks basic features on the left and on the right.

    What about an option to block the hideous autorotation ?

    What about the word wrap in the browser that render it almost useless ?

    What about an active screen, the widget support, any kind of today home screen?

    What about the smartdial dialer (invented by palm and now present everywhere but not on webos) ?

    What about the lack of one handed zooming controls on a phone supposedly meant to be one hand friendly.

    Be honest, webos was a decent starting point to develop a good OS and a good user experience (as android 1.5 was), but while others have evolved at an incredible speed, webos has barely made one or two steps in the right direction.
    -------------------------------------------------

    Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    I think you have lost the point of the discussion.

    Are you speaking about the multitasking itself or aare you speaking about the UI that controls the multitask ?

    If we are speaking about multitask, I have to inform You that my Sonyericsson P800 (the first true smarphone ever built) can multitask fine as it did in 2002, NINE years ago, even every cheap "featurphone" built by sonyericson can do multitask very well, and now I haven't mentioned any recent smartphone like my (fantastic) Droid Z.

    So I think that is not what you intended, probably you are speaking about the UI, the nice looking cards and so on.

    Yes the card are nice, but the rest of the os lacks basic features on the left and on the right.

    What about an option to block the hideous autorotation ?

    What about the word wrap in the browser that render it almost useless ?

    What about an active screen, the widget support, any kind of today home screen?

    What about the smartdial dialer (invented by palm and now present everywhere but not on webos) ?

    What about the lack of one handed zooming controls on a phone supposedly meant to be one hand friendly.

    Be honest, webos was a decent starting point to develop a good OS and a good user experience (as android 1.5 was), but while others have evolved at an incredible speed, webos has barely made one or two steps in the right direction.
    Let's try this again...

    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Multitasking isn't about what technically an OS is or isn't doing behind the scenes, it's about the user's experience. When I say I'm "thinking about" multitasking on my Android devices, it's because they require multiple steps and a lot of thought just to do more than one thing at a time. If I need to address that "thing" as you say, and go back to what I was doing, I have to perform a bunch of steps, and even if I perform all of those steps there's no guarantee that I'll be going back to where I left.
    What about the lack of a crank handle to charge the battery?

    What about that pimple on my nose when I look in the mirror?

    What about those Girl Scout cookies I ordered?

    I will admit that the updates haven't come as quickly as they did before the company went into the crapper. But I don't see how that's either a revelation or relevant to the discussion.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    Yes the card are nice, but the rest of the os lacks basic features on the left and on the right.

    What about an option to block the hideous autorotation ?

    What about the word wrap in the browser that render it almost useless ?

    What about an active screen, the widget support, any kind of today home screen?

    What about the smartdial dialer (invented by palm and now present everywhere but not on webos) ?

    What about the lack of one handed zooming controls on a phone supposedly meant to be one hand friendly.

    A week on an Evo and all these points plus many others are hitting me flush in the face. But I will give I'll give webOS a pass on the widgets. It would've been nice to see an active weather icon or see unread mail count on my Pre. But I guess the idea in webOS 2.0 with stacks is just to keep things open and you'll never be too many thumb swipes away from your "at a glance" stack.

    My only complaint with the Evo is the "inconsistency" of task switching and app navigation. Depending on the app, it may or may not behave the way you expect when you press an android button. Also sometimes my recent app list doesn't have the app I want to go back to and i have to "fish" for the icon to go back.

    But these are just minor inconveniences to a very robust smart phone experience so far.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    But I don't see how that's either a revelation or relevant to the discussion.
    It's relevant because is the only thing that is worth discussing.

    When I say I'm "thinking about" multitasking on my Android devices, it's because they require multiple step
    This is not true at, all firstly because changing tasks in android requires the same or less steps as webos, secondly because you can change *everything* on the UI, if you like webos you can also use a launcher that mimic the webos behaviour

    And you can share the rom, the sw, the knowledge W/O being accused of doing something illegal (the most abused therm here).

    Have you noticed that a "stupid" basic SW like the flashlight is not released because the developer is stuck by the NDA ?

    You know how many flashlight SW are released for Android ?

    Well look here https://market.android.com/search?q=flashlight&c=apps

    ATM are 323

    What about the lack of a crank handle to charge the battery?
    Wll my Droid Z doesnt need it, it last more than a whole day of intense use (you should be happy about this news the Veer will use the same platform)

    What about that pimple on my nose when I look in the mirror?
    Sorry but this is your problem

    What about those Girl Scout cookies I ordered?
    Ok, now I know what appened to the cookies, but what about cache and history
    -------------------------------------------------

    Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616

Posting Permissions