Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I have noticed some oddities with task switching on my Evo. Last example I can think of, I was in AIM writing an IM and went to fact check something on google. Used the home button long press to leave and when I came back, the text I was in the middle of disappeared... Tested using normal home button tap then finding the AIM icon and text was still there.

I find this to be a little inconsistent throughout the UI at times. This could be what the other gentlemen may be referencing "having to think about multitasking". Could just be that I'm new, but definitley not intuitive.

Overall though, I do agree that there are some aspects where cards/swipes are better and some where back button/Home button work better. But webOS users will still stick to their evangelical guns that nobody does it better, but in reality who cares who does it the best once it just works.
    Last edited by giograves; 02/23/2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    I have noticed some oddities with task switching on my Evo. Last example I can think of, I was in AIM writing an IM and went to fact check something on google. Used the home button long press to leave and when I came back, the text I was in the middle of disappeared... Tested using normal home button tap then finding the AIM icon and text was still there.

I find this to be a little inconsistent throughout the UI at times. This could be what the other gentlemen may be referencing "having to think about multitasking". Could just be that I'm new, but definatley not intuitive.

But overall, I do agree that there are some aspects where cards/swipes are better and some where back button/Home button work better. webOS users will still stick to their evangelical guns that nobody does it better, but reality who cares whose the best once it just works.
    These issues do happen and it's because the developer of the app, be it Google or someone else, didn't properly implement it.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Man, I was going to post up a sarcastic comparison of just closing an app between Android and WebOS, but I can't even find which menu it is I need to go into to shut something down on my Evo. I usually just reboot for this very reason. I know on my Tab you hold down the Home button and select Task Manager, select the app and then use a button on the screen to tell it to stop, but I can't even find it on the Evo right now.

I haven't used it in a while, but I think I recall that in WebOS you swipe up...

I forgot that I gave up on this already too.
    That's because you don't have to shut something down on Android devices. It will do it for you, you just leave the app.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Oh, and iOS is WAY different than it was two years ago.
    Of course it is. Like Android, it's a thriving, evolving, growing OS. webOS, not so much different in those same two years, but the future may hold more promise for us all.
    Man, I was going to post up a sarcastic comparison of just closing an app between Android and WebOS, but I can't even find which menu it is I need to go into to shut something down on my Evo. I usually just reboot for this very reason. I know on my Tab you hold down the Home button and select Task Manager, select the app and then use a button on the screen to tell it to stop, but I can't even find it on the Evo right now.

I haven't used it in a while, but I think I recall that in WebOS you swipe up...

I forgot that I gave up on this already too.
    Advanced task killer app if im not mistaken
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Of course it is. Like Android, it's a thriving, evolving, growing OS. webOS, not so much different in those same two years, but the future may hold more promise for us all.
    My Pre received a number of updates in those first 6 months that really enhanced the user experience. But yes, it has died off since Palm started having trouble making payroll.

While Apple is continually tweaking, it's still the same lame (IMO) icons on a grid interface. Obviously people are content with that, just not my cup of tea. And the fact that others are starting to copy elements of the two-year old WebOS says something.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Advanced task killer app if im not mistaken
    Even with ATK, the procedure to close an app is to open notifications, select ATK, find the app you want, tell it to stop and confirm you want it to stop. Still a lot more work than swiping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That's because you don't have to shut something down on Android devices. It will do it for you, you just leave the app.

Does that really happen or is it the same as with iOS where it's "supposed" to happen but if you don't actually go through clearing the fast-switch list you end up having your device crash more frequently?
    Even with ATK, the procedure to close an app is to open notifications, select ATK, find the app you want, tell it to stop and confirm you want it to stop. Still a lot more work than swiping up.
    Oh stop (because the FUD is strong with this one). The procedure to close an app on Android is to not close apps and just move on to your next task. When resources are needed, Android will deal with it. It's a paradigm shift for those used to manually managing apps.

ATK and task killers in general have been warned against time and time again. Stop using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Does that really happen or is it the same as with iOS where it's "supposed" to happen but if you don't actually go through clearing the fast-switch list you end up having your device crash more frequently?
    Yes, it really does happen. If you let Android do its thing, it works. When there is a hiccup, you can usually trace it back to a rouge app or a task killer. Bad apps exist on all platforms.

I don't have a task killer installed. I don't close apps manually on my EVO. My device does not mysteriously crash. Again, the exception (and it's a rare one) is when I happen to install a bad app.
    ATK is useless in android, you can close the app with a long press of the back button if you want in any cyanogen ROM.

Because like on the rest of OS distributing a better rom is tolerated if not backed by the phone makers.

Here instead anyone speaks about distributing a modded/better version of a FW is treated as a pirate.

And this is another HUGE drawback of Webos and its environment.

Palm as acted like a monopolist beeeing the less diffused ecosistem on the world, which is simply stupid.

I hope that HP will change something in this already hopeless battle.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Oh stop (because the FUD is strong with this one). The procedure to close an app on Android is to not close apps and just move on to your next task. When resources are needed, Android will deal with it. It's a paradigm shift for those used to manually managing apps.

ATK and task killers in general have been warned against time and time again. Stop using them.
    First of all, I don't use ATK, took it off a long time ago after being told that I had to have it and then reading that it's unnecessary. I was just responding to a post.

Secondly, having an OS decide what apps are open and what apps show up in your recent list is fundamentally different from being able to open and close them at your whim. When I had my Pre, I had certain apps that I used all the time that I just left open so I could have immediate access to them without hunting around every time I picked up my phone and waiting for them to open. Can't do that on my Evo, what apps show up in the recent list is a crap shoot.

The FUD here is the handwaving that's trying to polish the turd that is Android multitasking. I hate onscreen typing (while Swype on my Tab is awesome it sucks on the Evo), the weak notification system and and the PITA multitasking. Other than that, Evo is a sweet device.
    Such anger over a phone.

Yes, it is fundamentally different, hence the paradigm shift comment. And if you have certain apps that you use all the time, you can install SwipePad and your 12 most used apps are but a swipe away. QuickDesk gives you similar functionality plus you 16 most recent apps.
    Come on folks my Evo can't even multitask properly. Sometimes the audio for both navigation and Pandora will play simultaneously. Specific contact cards close when I switch to messaging to look up a number. Youtube videos also lose their place when I switch away to check a text message. Is anyone else having these issues with android?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Such anger over a phone.

Yes, it is fundamentally different, hence the paradigm shift comment. And if you have certain apps that you use all the time, you can install SwipePad and your 12 most used apps are but a swipe away. QuickDesk gives you similar functionality plus you 16 most recent apps.
    Not angry at all my friend, just having a discussion.

Seriously, I'm no Android hater; I love all the device choices, have a Galaxy Tab, an Evo, talked my boss into getting an Evo, have a ton of friends that own Evos, bought a Droid 2 for both of my kids for Christmas, and have the Sony BD GTV in my cabinet at home. While I don't like Apple's mobile offerings, the MacBook Air I bought my wife for Christmas is sweet, and we've got like 8 iPods in the household.

But, except the Air, WebOS is better at multitasking than all of them.
    I agree with Gmoney completely. I have both the Pre and Evo. I took for granted multitasking on webOS until I switched to the Evo. Now I have to "think" about multitasking and even then it fails me sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    Come on folks my Evo can't even multitask properly. Sometimes the audio for both navigation and Pandora will play simultaneously. Specific contact cards close when I switch to messaging to look up a number. Youtube videos also lose their place when I switch away to check a text message. Is anyone else having these issues with android?
    Oh yeah, that too. One of the reasons I uninstalled Google Listen is because whenever I have the Evo hooked up to Bluetooth in my truck and I'm listening to the music app, if I use one of the buttons on the head unit to change songs, Listen opens and starts playing podcasts over the top of my music. Never happened on the Pre.

And just last night I was using my Tab to watch the Think Beyond developers conference on YouTube, and when I switched out to check an email that came in (since the notifications system is lame and I couldn't just see it...) and went back to the video in YouTube it had reset itself to the beginning. So then I had to search back through a couple hours of video to find my place again. I have the same issue with watching movies with the video player; some times it keeps you place, other times it doesn't.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 02/23/2011 at 06:42 PM.
    I found out the other day that I can play MP3's from two music apps at the same time. I'm sure other OS' can do this too, but I thought it was funny.

Also, as much as I think of Google as that futuristc organisation you see in films that owns the world, I have to say that their technologies are some of the best in the world, and I think Android benefits from this a lot. I just don't see Android as being as well put together as some of the other mobile OS' out there. It just seems like a mash of technologies put together in one package.

I think of the article as a bit of a defensive attack on other operating systems, almost like saying "IOS can do that too" rather than being a review of the multitasking abilities of all the mobile OS' out there. I would like to read an unbiased review on this, as I would like to see how WebOS REALLY stacks against other OS'.
    Quote Originally Posted by GotaPre View Post
    WebOS is the onlry true multitasker
    No, it's just the only one that does it the way it does.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast