Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I love how people make up statements about the other platforms' multitask in order to try and make "webOS is the only one with true multitasking" a true statement. It isn't. It's been shown over and over and over but tomorrow or the next day there will be a new post about how it's only true in webOS (heck, that next post may appear shortly after this one).

The trend that I'm noticing now is people are beginning to claim that webOS is the only one with "easy" multitasking. I wonder how it is that a double tap or press and hold is so much more intimidating than a swipe (or a similar button press in webOS 3.x). Users don't even care about it but somehow it's intimidating? Strange. Palm may have sucked at marketing, but they did a good job on this community with their "pull multiple tasks out of a hat" trick.
    From a developer standpoint (and from my understanding of iOS multitasking from talking with iOS developers), the difference is that on iOS you have to work to allow multitasking for your app, while on webOS you have to work to "disable" multitasking. That is, check to see when your app isn't in the foreground and then stop doing things, where on iOS, by default you stop doing things when you're not in the foreground.

One platform makes it very easy to multitask, one makes it more difficult (from a developer's angle). One platform puts your battery life at the mercy of irresponsible developers, one platform requires that developers be purposefully negligent to hurt your battery life.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    But that's it, Android and iOS have implemented multitasking in a way that the user doesn't even need to think about it. They're multitasking without even realizing it.

There are 'advanced' features available to both platforms that are for those power users that choose to alter the way they multitask.
    Not true in the least. One big problem with multitasking on Android is you don't even have control over which apps are open. Android chooses what to shut down and when.

Every time I have to touch the screen to light up the buttons so I can see them, hold the home button down until the icons pop up, select an app (if it's still there) and wait for it to open, just to switch applications, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I get a multiple-account email notification and I have to stop what I'm working on, pull down the notification window, select an email account, wait for it to open, check the subject/from lines, select the drop down up top, select the other email account, wait for it to load, check the subject/from lines, hold down the home button, select the app that I was working in and wait for it to re-load, just so I can check on emails I've been sent while I'm working in something else, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I have to open the SMS application because I missed the quick scroll at the top of the screen, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I have to go back and swipe through home screens to find and click the icon to re-open an app that Android shut down on me, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I have to hold down the Home button, select Task Manager, find the app, and select Exit and press Home to close Task Manager, just to close an app, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I leave my email program in one inbox, and come back to the email program to find I'm in a different inbox, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Every time I have to pull down the notification window, click on the Music app, wait for it to open so I can skip a song, hold down the home button, select the app that I was using, and wait for it to re-load, I'm "thinking about" multitasking.

Contrast that with how you would perform ANY of these common tasks in WebOS. All of you who are saying it's just semantics are just flat-out wrong.
    WebOS has great multitasking. It is probably the best.

It just doesn't matter that much. If it did, everybody would have bought a Pre and not iphones, EVOs, Incredibles, etc. The average consumer doesn't care that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post

It just doesn't matter that much. If it did, everybody would have bought a Pre and not iphones, EVOs, Incredibles, etc. The average consumer doesn't care that much.
    Exactly! I'm content if I can leave an email to answer a text and then just bop back to finish the email. How it does so, doesn't bother me.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Having the best mutitask out there (which is not true for webos) or even a primitive task switcher is not very helpful if you don't have some task to switch...
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Every time I have to...I'm "thinking about" multitasking.
    "Thinking about multitasking" and "Thinking about multiple tasks" are not the same things. When a user gets an email, sms, etc, they tend to think about that email, sms, etc. and go interact with it. They are not typically "thinking about multitasking" as HP would have us believe. They simply want to address that "thing" and go back to what they were doing before. They don't sit there and think "Hmmm...I wonder if I should multitask here." They simply go to that action and come back or they ignore the notification for now.

Cards are great, but not always. Long press is great, but not always. Double tap is great, but not always. Voice commands are great, but not always. As some of the posts above have already stated, if the "how" was really that important, people might have made other choices. The market continues to show that it doesn't matter while HP's marketing continues to insist that it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    "Thinking about multitasking" and "Thinking about multiple tasks" are not the same things. When a user gets an email, sms, etc, they tend to think about that email, sms, etc. and go interact with it. They are not typically "thinking about multitasking" as HP would have us believe. They simply want to address that "thing" and go back to what they were doing before. They don't sit there and think "Hmmm...I wonder if I should multitask here." They simply go to that action and come back or they ignore the notification for now.
    You miss my point, I was responding to this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    But that's it, Android and iOS have implemented multitasking in a way that the user doesn't even need to think about it. They're multitasking without even realizing it.
    And that just ain't true. Multitasking isn't about what technically an OS is or isn't doing behind the scenes, it's about the user's experience. When I say I'm "thinking about" multitasking on my Android devices, it's because they require multiple steps and a lot of thought just to do more than one thing at a time. If I need to address that "thing" as you say, and go back to what I was doing, I have to perform a bunch of steps, and even if I perform all of those steps there's no guarantee that I'll be going back to where I left.

WebOS just isn't like that, and I'm frankly baffled that people are in denial about it. Hell, Apple has the good hardware, the mindshare and all of the apps. Google has a bunch of apps (the new version of Maps is awesome), a ton of good choices for hardware and great voice search. But they're both inferior at allowing a user to seamlessly move between multiple tasks when compared to WebOS. Period. If multitasking isn't important to you or the "average user" that's fine, but that doesn't change the fact that WebOS is far better at it.
    You miss my point, I was responding to this statement:

And that just ain't true. Multitasking isn't about what technically an OS is or isn't doing behind the scenes, it's about the user's experience. When I say I'm "thinking about" multitasking on my Android devices, it's because they require multiple steps and a lot of thought just to do more than one thing at a time. If I need to address that "thing" as you say, and go back to what I was doing, I have to perform a bunch of steps, and even if I perform all of those steps there's no guarantee that I'll be going back to where I left.
    What are you saing ?

On android a long tap on the home button to have the list of the app running (or recently launched), and is as quick and handy as in webos

On maemo a tap on the windows border will launch the task manager exactly as in webos.

Webos could be a fresh breeze 2 years ago, but the rest of the world is evolved it is still a nice os, but doesn't have a single advantage over the other current other ones.

It has just disvantages, no sw, no decent browser, no screen rotation lock, no smartdialer, no one handed zoom controls, nothing.

WebOS just isn't like that, and I'm frankly baffled that people are in denial about it.
    I think you have to look outside your own home, there's a world out there.

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post

Agreed, for now, however, as smartphones become more and more powerful, and are capable of doing more, it will become a more relevant feature to do "right" (meaning with the most ease of use).

That doesn't mean it will make it the most popular mobile OS out there, however, we won't know for a few years, when the smartphone and tablet markets mature, and WebOS has been a viable choice on all devices for sometime - and real feedback from lots of users is readily available.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

But they're both inferior at allowing a user to seamlessly move between multiple tasks when compared to WebOS. Period. If multitasking isn't important to you or the "average user" that's fine, but that doesn't change the fact that WebOS is far better at it.
    'Fraid not. As Taharka says...it depends on the scenario.

There is no WebOS app or OS framework that allows me to check Foursquare, Facebook, and Twitter in one continuous, always-updated feed. In fact, there's not even one that allows me to post to all simultaneously that I know of. Android has both.

There is no WebOS app or OS framework which allows for tabbed browsing. Every Web page I view must be in a separate card, so if I have more than three pages open that are not connected linearly, I must jump back out to desktop view to move between them. I don't have to do that in Android because I have tabbed browsers to enjoy.

I could go on and on, but no single implementation of multitasking is ideal for ALL situations. There are times using my Epic 4G when I wish I still had the card UI, and times when I am so very glad I do not.

It's different for every user. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    What are you saing ?

On android a long tap on the home button to have the list of the app running (or recently launched), and is as quick and handy as in webos

On maemo a tap on the windows border will launch the task manager exactly as in webos.

Webos could be a fresh breeze 2 years ago, but the rest of the world is evolved it is still a nice os, but doesn't have a single advantage over the other current other ones.

It has just disvantages, no sw, no decent browser, no screen rotation lock, no smartdialer, no one handed zoom controls, nothing.

I think you have to look outside your own home, there's a world out there.
    I believe that the implication here is that its just plain more intuitive, and, the speculation is that since most critics whom have tried it like at, and have hailed it a great, if not the best mobile OS when it debuted 2 years ago, that many consumers will feel the same if they get a chance to use it for themselves.

I've said it before, though, and I'll say it again.. the whole "multitasking" thing is way overblown - iOS provides some modified multitasking, and users havent complained - yet. Android "multitasks", and there have been some complaints, but, they aren't epidemic... it can proably improve, and likely will, with Duarte over there now, but still, not enough to hurt their sales - neither platform, in fact.

For now, its a moot point.. give it a few years, for all those apps to find homes and work together on more powerful smartphones and then, we'll see if it becomes an issue - if it does, then, THEN, WebOS will be way ahead of the pack, but, that's a huge "if".. all speculation at this point.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    What are you saing ?

This exactly what I'm talking about.

If I'm using two apps and I want to go back and forth between them to copy and paste, these are the steps:

In WebOS:

1. Swipe left
    2. Swipe right

In Android:

1. Hold down the home button and wait for the list to come up.
    2. Select from the list the app that I want to switch to.
    3. Hold down the home button and wait for the list to come up.
    4. Select from the list the app I want to switch to.

And this doesn't include the added step in even a mildly dark room of tapping the screen to light the buttons so I can find the home button, or recalling which is the home button since it's in two different places on my EVO and Tab.

Not even remotely as quick or handy. And, as I've said before, I don't even have control over what stays open in Android so if I'm using too much memory it shuts stuff down without asking (well, at least I think it does, don't know for sure without opening Task Manager...). Or, since it's a list of recent apps, rather than open apps, if I've got more than eight apps open they don't all show up and I've got to go find them on a home screen.

Yeah, I'll stay in my world.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 02/23/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    'Fraid not. As Taharka says...it depends on the scenario.

There is no WebOS app or OS framework that allows me to check Foursquare, Facebook, and Twitter in one continuous, always-updated feed. In fact, there's not even one that allows me to post to all simultaneously that I know of. Android has both.

There is no WebOS app or OS framework which allows for tabbed browsing. Every Web page I view must be in a separate card, so if I have more than three pages open that are not connected linearly, I must jump back out to desktop view to move between them. I don't have to do that in Android because I have tabbed browsers to enjoy.

I could go on and on, but no single implementation of multitasking is ideal for ALL situations. There are times using my Epic 4G when I wish I still had the card UI, and times when I am so very glad I do not.

It's different for every user. Period.
    That aggregating, not multitasking, my friend. Tabbed browsing? Really? Go on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Agreed, for now, however, as smartphones become more and more powerful, and are capable of doing more, it will become a more relevant feature to do "right" (meaning with the most ease of use).
    People will find it useful just as soon as Apple figures out how to do it properly. Copy and paste, anyone?
    Look, I'm not totally knocking Android here. Hell, I just a minute ago, from my browser on the Android Market, installed an app on my Galaxy Tab that is sitting on my nightstand 34 miles away. That's awesome. The new version of Google Maps on Android is a thing of beauty. The hardware of my EVO is beyond reproach.

Working in more than one app at a time, not so much.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 02/23/2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I believe that the implication here is that its just plain more intuitive, and, the speculation is that since most critics whom have tried it like at, and have hailed it a great, if not the best mobile OS when it debuted 2 years ago, that many consumers will feel the same if they get a chance to use it for themselves.

I had exactly the same feeling, but look back @2 yeras ago, adroid was a joke, the iphone was a joke too, symbian was not too bad but as an European product the American citizens wouldn't buy it, maemo was not already presented and so on.

Today webos is the same as two year ago, the ROW doesn't.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    This exactly what I'm talking about.

If I'm using two apps and I want to go back and forth between them to copy and paste, these are the steps:

In WebOS:

1. Swipe left
    2. Swipe right

In Android:
    Completely no sense...

In webos only the default browser that lacks the text reflowing I had 10 years ago on my beloved p800

In android a bucket of browsers, Opermini , Operamobile, Skyfire, Dolphyn, and so on

That's the point a SINGLE crap sw V.S. a dozen (at least).

If you don't like the defaul browser (like me) just install another one, and you are happy

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Ok, I give up. Multitasking in Android and iOS is just as convenient as in WebOS, and unlike Blackberry QNX and the coming update to WP7, they won't be copying WebOS or changing the way they do things at all. Including notifications. Because it's so good. And doesn't make a difference.

Oh, and iOS is WAY different than it was two years ago.
    Ok, I give up. Multitasking in Android and iOS is just as convenient as in WebOS, and unlike Blackberry QNX and the coming update to WP7, they won't be copying WebOS or changing the way they do things at all. Including notifications. Because it's so good. And doesn't make a difference.

Oh, and iOS is WAY different than it was two years ago.
    Android has advanced quite a bit with multitasking, iOS... not so much..... Working with iOS feels like working with BB OS5 when it comes to "multitasking".
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast