1.    #1  
    Apple is working hard to improve its notification system.

This news comes from New Zealand. Apple is rushing time and making some updates for next gen device iphone 5 maybe and is trying to match webOS improving the notification system ,which as you know now lacks.

What other webos last features will Apple replicate?

Here the news:

There are rumors that Apple is working on a new notification system for iOS.

Very soon it would be buying a small company to make its technology into the operating system as stated by the sources.

The notification system of the Apple is not quite impressing. It lacks in features like new text messages, voicemails and it has often been condemned as one of the weakest part of the iOS. Sometimes notifications are disturbing, modal and often puzzling which in all decrease the quality of it.

Conversely HP/Palm’s webOS banner notification system has been broadly praised for its utility and simplicity. It is very simple and one can easily make use of it.

Last year there were gossips that after returning of the chief architect of Palm’s system, Rich Dellinger, the iPhone’s notification system would be settled. Unfortunately, there is no change in the system till now.

Now Apple is now trying to buy a small app developer to fix it. This may help it to resolve the issue on permanent basis for the firm.

Apple is working hard to improve its notification system | TopNews New Zealand
    The idea of buying a notification solution seems weird considering Apple hired the man who designed webOS' notification model.
    Which is why releasing devices in the summer instead of soon, and rebooting your userbase is asinine. There's almost no 1up's palm has UI interface wise now other than subjective preference to it.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Why is it a shocker that companies continue to improve their platforms?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The idea of buying a notification solution seems weird considering Apple hired the man who designed webOS' notification model.
    Maybe different mobile OS different way to make the notifications system. WebOS made it from day one. Apple is trying to fix it after several iOS updates.

(By the way I am not an expert on that matter, just trying to think logic.)
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Maybe different mobile OS different way to make the notifications system. WebOS made it from day one. Apple is trying to fix it after several iOS updates.

(By the way I am not an expert on that matter, just trying to think logic.)
    Yeah, in the end I don't really care how they fix it as long as they get it done. iOS' notification system is just unacceptable in 2011.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well if apple truly is doing iphone nano, this may come to it first then be optimized for the rest of the oses....
    i think now the webos scalability will really start to pay off.... imagine developers having to rewite all of their apps for the new phone... and from now on doing at least three versions, nano, reg and HD for apple....
    then they come to web os with enyo and have an app that runs in three different devices from go plus netbooks and other HP pcs in the future....
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    well if apple truly is doing iphone nano, this may come to it first then be optimized for the rest of the oses....
    i think now the webos scalability will really start to pay off.... imagine developers having to rewite all of their apps for the new phone... and from now on doing at least three versions, nano, reg and HD for apple....
    then they come to web os with enyo and have an app that runs in three different devices from go plus netbooks and other HP pcs in the future....
    Except current webOS developers have to "rewrite all of their apps for the new phone." Apparently webOS was not as scalable as Palm initially claimed. Maybe it will be now with its new version.
    Haven't looked into this story yet, but it sounds to me like Apple may be purchasing a company in order to leverage a patent already held by that company. I highly doubt they are buying a company just to have them design a new notification system.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Haven't looked into this story yet, but it sounds to me like Apple may be purchasing a company in order to leverage a patent already held by that company. I highly doubt they are buying a company just to have them design a new notification system.
    They've already bought a lot of stuff and if they implement a portion, it'll be awesome.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    i don't think so. i've listened to the iphone podcast and it seems apple often buys companies for the talent inside of them. So i can see many reasons why they'd buy a company. Apple bought Siri. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/te...pple.html?_r=1 Siri had an iphone app but i'm convinced they bought them less for that siri product and more for the ability to add voice search into an iphone 5, just like voice search is in android.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Why is it a shocker that companies continue to improve their platforms?
    Because it's Apple and therefore must be evil?

Honestly, there's more reasoned debate on the terraces of my football club than here one the A-word (or i-device) in mentioned!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Actually if apple does this . Older iphones most likely won't get this on their phones lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Because it's Apple and therefore must be evil?

Honestly, there's more reasoned debate on the terraces of my football club than here one the A-word (or i-device) in mentioned!
    LOL, yeah, that must be it.

It's crazy. People complain about how bad iOS notification is but it's a rip off if they improve it.

On a side note, HP is working to improve webOS notifications as well. From what I've seen on the TouchPad, it's a welcomed improvement. How silly would it be to say they are ripping off Android by putting the notifications in the top bar? (Hint: very) I hope Apple does something similar. I also hope Android does more with managing notifications after they are displayed. Notifications should never get in the way like they do in current iOS nor should they cause screen shrinkage like they do in current webOS. They also should be more interactive than they are on Android.
    It's neither good nor evil; it's business. But like I said, I bet they bought the company to leverage a patent or possibly pre-existing code. This can be cheaper than licensing the patent or code from the company. Will they take all the "talent" along with the company? Probably not.
    Touchscreens are a fad.