Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Guy at work has a Droid X. I told him I'm thinking about a Pre. He says, na, just go with Android. He's fumbled around and showed me some things on his Droid.

What I'd like to know: what can I ask him to show me that webOS excels at? I want to ask, show me how to do something in Android. I'd like to see him stumble around and then able to say webOS does it like very simply like this.

Thanks . . .
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Webos has a better task switcher. That's about it...
    I have to agree. Otherwise, if he's clunking around, it's because he doesn't know how to use his phone. Android is actually very easy to use, if you pay attention and use simple logic.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Webos has a better task switcher. That's about it...
    Depend. I personally think webos got better multitasking but not by far. But alot of people think android multitasking is very simple as well, and it is true. I think iOS multitasking isn't bad either, just double click the button.

Beside multitasking I can't find anything else is better than android.

Sent from Tapatalk
    i dont think theres a better OS on the market, just those with pros and cons and which one works for you better. Ive used both (had a Evo for 4 months) and had no problem doing everyday things on it as with my pre. There are some things that stand out for me when I use the pre like opening up 4 bank accts, notes, and calculator advance swiping between all after I enter my user name and password all at one and updating my bills and AR and entering dates on the calander. To me its easier for me to do so just swiping through them all while there all open at once, but as I said this works for me and maybe not for others.
    I've never used android, but here's an scenerio you could use. Say you don't know what to eat for dinner, you dont know if you want chicken or beef. So you browse the web on your phone (pre) and open 2 browsers for chicken and beef recipies. You find interesting dishes for both so you highlight each recipe and copy them to your memo. you have all windows open then a email comes in while browsing for more beef dishes. you notice its nothing special so you just swipe to ignore. Then a call from your wife and she's asking the same questions and you tell her that you have 2 dishes in mind. You go back to the web pages and share the first link via email go to the second, copy it and paste it in the email, and for kicks yo go back to your notes copy that and add it to the email as well.

You can do whatever you want after that....but to get the same results? How quick or efficiently would dorid handle that, faster than pre? Better experience on droid or webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    I've never used android, but here's an scenerio you could use. Say you don't know what to eat for dinner, you dont know if you want chicken or beef. So you browse the web on your phone (pre) and open 2 browsers for chicken and beef recipies. You find interesting dishes for both so you highlight each recipe and copy them to your memo. you have all windows open then a email comes in while browsing for more beef dishes. you notice its nothing special so you just swipe to ignore. Then a call from your wife and she's asking the same questions and you tell her that you have 2 dishes in mind. You go back to the web pages and share the first link via email go to the second, copy it and paste it in the email, and for kicks yo go back to your notes copy that and add it to the email as well.

You can do whatever you want after that....but to get the same results? How quick or efficiently would dorid handle that, faster than pre? Better experience on droid or webos?
    Unfortunately you can do samething with iOS and android really quick. It's all depend what you like. Webos you have to open two browsers, other os, they have a browser with tab, don't need multitasking on that.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Yes and Android also has copy and paste, notifications, plus recipe apps, so you don't even necessarily need the internet to look for them.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Unfortunately you can do samething with iOS and android really quick. It's all depend what you like. Webos you have to open two browsers, other os, they have a browser with tab, don't need multitasking on that.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Questions is how much faster are the results between the 2 and which is a better experience? Maybe there's an even better way of the pre also, but given the sequence of events, which would you prefer and why.

To me webos just makes the whole thing more tangible, you know what you're getting everything's separated nicely in front of you in an overall view.
    Questions is how much faster are the results between the 2 and which is a better experience? Maybe there's an even better way of the pre also, but given the sequence of events, which would you prefer and why.

To me webos just makes the whole thing more tangible, you know what you're getting everything's separated nicely in front of you in an overall view.
    Like I said I like pre multitasking , however it's just my choice. People who used android, they do multitasking faster than I do with any problem. I have used galaxy s for a month and I returned it. I wanted to play with new toy. During my experience, I had great time, rooted the phone and play with whole bunch of apps and the navigation was so good. And screen was really nice.
    I am was thinking for 4g phone now.

Sent from Tapatalk

It can be done just as fast and easy on iOS and Android.

It's really just a matter of preference.

Sent from my eVo
    patching is so much esier after you install preware everything is ota and you can customize specific aspects of the os to make it suit your needs, and if you don't like it just delete it from preware. the webos community is tops as evident with people who have left for other handsets/os and still keep coming back. We are comparing webos 1.4.5 to droid 2.x, webos 2.x and 3.x will be even better, better synergy where apps become one with the os as with the announcment of skype opening up their api's to hp.
    At first i thought i was really gonna miss cards, and i did at first but just holding my home button for 2 seconds and having all my running apps in one spot instead of having cards all over the place has worked much better for me. Makes managing my open apps much easier.

Evo-lution
    I would say it's more polished, intuitive to use and elegant.

For example, compare Android and webOS' music player. Android's is really, really bad. webOS also handles multitasking better, such as pausing games and resuming them when you return. Most Android games don't do this, although it varies.

In a nutshell Palm has a vision and cares about user experience, Android seems like a project thrown together by multiple groups with no consistent vision or UI. Manufacturer skins do help to fix this though.
    My favorite use of webOS came several months ago. I was in Denver on a business trip stopped at a semaphore with the Pre plugged into the car charger and into the AUX for the stereo.

I was streaming Pandora and using Sprint Navigation, and my Pandora quieted while the navigation told me to turn left.

I got a text message notification, and an email notification from Facebook. I didn't like the song on Pandora so I hit the Pandora notification and skipped the song, read the beginning of the short text message without launching the text app, flipped to Tweed and posted an update to Twitter about the text I got. I then flipped to my Facebook app to see what was written on my wall.

It took me all of 30 seconds while stopped for the red light to do all of it. Pandora never stopped streaming, Navigator never stopped, I didn't launch any new apps, and only needed to touch the keyboard for 10 sec to type a Twitter update.

Maybe Android is as good or even was that good 6 months ago, but I don't know. I've seen several of my friends use Android, including a friend who works for Google in GIS, and I've never seen Android handle those tasks anywhere near as elegantly as webOS handled them. My experience is that Android can do quite a bit, but it looks like crap when doing it.
    webOS is pretty, and intuitive, while Android is neither of those.

OK, that's a bit harsh. However, Android looks and feels like a skin on top of a Linux distro. That isn't bad in and of itself, but using it day in and day out for a year or two just becomes annoying.

Also, the DROID X is one of the slower high-end Android devices in actual performance. It's hard to explain, but it just feels slow and laggy a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    My favorite use of webOS came several months ago. I was in Denver on a business trip stopped at a semaphore with the Pre plugged into the car charger and into the AUX for the stereo.

I was streaming Pandora and using Sprint Navigation, and my Pandora quieted while the navigation told me to turn left.

I got a text message notification, and an email notification from Facebook. I didn't like the song on Pandora so I hit the Pandora notification and skipped the song, read the beginning of the short text message without launching the text app, flipped to Tweed and posted an update to Twitter about the text I got. I then flipped to my Facebook app to see what was written on my wall.

It took me all of 30 seconds while stopped for the red light to do all of it. Pandora never stopped streaming, Navigator never stopped, I didn't launch any new apps, and only needed to touch the keyboard for 10 sec to type a Twitter update.

Maybe Android is as good or even was that good 6 months ago, but I don't know. I've seen several of my friends use Android, including a friend who works for Google in GIS, and I've never seen Android handle those tasks anywhere near as elegantly as webOS handled them. My experience is that Android can do quite a bit, but it looks like crap when doing it.
    On my bike rides I do similar things. I launch my tracking app and it automatically launchess my music app to a predetermined playlist when I start my workout. I take phone calls and the music pauses. When my tracker is giving me distance/speed readouts, the music volume is lowered. My notification sounds play in my Bluetooth headset and my text messages and emails can be read to me. All this time, my Android phone is in my backpack and out of reach.

True multitasking is being able to perform tasks on my phone AND in my life without worries. It's kind of hard to use "cards" on a bike.

If you have to come on this site to ask for help in finding an obscure workflow in order to prove your point about webOS, I'd argue that your point has already failed.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/13/2011 at 07:07 PM.
    patching is so much esier after you install preware everything is ota and you can customize specific aspects of the os to make it suit your needs, and if you don't like it just delete it from preware. the webos community is tops as evident with people who have left for other handsets/os and still keep coming back. We are comparing webos 1.4.5 to droid 2.x, webos 2.x and 3.x will be even better, better synergy where apps become one with the os as with the announcment of skype opening up their api's to hp.
    I don't know but I found the android patch, or homebrew, is the easiest. Then iOS is easier, everything done in cydia over air, and I foun preware is the worst. Plus it requires reboot, damn phone took 5+ minutes.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I would say it's more polished, intuitive to use and elegant.

For example, compare Android and webOS' music player. Android's is really, really bad. webOS also handles multitasking better, such as pausing games and resuming them when you return. Most Android games don't do this, although it varies.

In a nutshell Palm has a vision and cares about user experience, Android seems like a project thrown together by multiple groups with no consistent vision or UI. Manufacturer skins do help to fix this though.
    I use music player pro and this is the best most complete music player i have ever seen.

Evo-lution
    Just sounds to me that alot of webOS users have been duped into thinking effective task switching is painful/not possible on other platforms.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast