Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    <<Thread moved>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Meh WebOS has a better polish since it has specific design elements provided by Palm/HP opposed to android's SDK pretty much just giving the designer complete control without an approval process.

But if thats what you enjoy, you would probably be happier with an iPhone (unless the craptastic notification system on iOS annoys you enough).

A few things though that android does that WebOS does not that i am reminded about often.

1. WebOS currently does not have a power save mode. So if i forgot to turn my phone into airplane mode when I was in the subway, I would literally lose 20% of my battery because the Pre would CONSTANTLY be searching for a single.

2. You can't listen to music and use the camera app at the same time on the pre. So annoying. Also, the camera app is simply lacking in function and features compared to basically all other samrtphones. Even though the video quality was actually pretty good....I would get so many issues post processing i barely used my phone to take videos. But to be honest, i'm not super impressed with the Evo video recording...audio quality is really poor.

3. Android has NEVER EVER frozen, or restarted on me. I've owned my Evo since august and the worst i've gotten was either a force close on an app or some lagginess usually because of an app running poorly. I've weeded out the good and bad apps by now so I haven't seen the lag in quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I have said "Android is clunky" several times, but that comes from use and is an honest opinion, not a "meme." That doesn't stop me from selling the hell out of them, but I still say Android is clunky. The thing is, the differences are not so great that any of the OSes could be considered a bad OS.

But with the four buttons on the bottom of an Android device, and then more buttons appear on screen when you press the "menu" button... That feels clunky to me. Also the settings menus feel a bit clunky. Long, questionably organized lists that drill down to more long lists.

Very minor stuff, but when it comes to the overall rating of the overall polish and elegance of an OS, every bit counts.

Android is clunky. :P
    Yeah, that's why I said "many" and not "most." Deep down, I'm with you when it comes to Android's UI -- I think each release of Android is vastly improved over the last but even stock Gingerbread is a bit on the...uh...Googleish side. But I'm dumb and l hate drilling down through menus.

taharka said what I really wanted to say in a far more diplomatic way. A lot of the complaints that are thrown around on here are so generic that I have to wonder if they've actually used the OS they're complaining about.
    Well, soon it won't even matter because webOS advantages are slowly being script away by almost every OS in one form or another. Soon the only trump card it will have is tap to share but for how long. Android can print and it can share almost anything. You can just search using your voice or type. Wp7 will get card multitasking in March, BB has it. Then again most consumers don't multitask, so it's over rated.

Sfm Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Soon the only trump card it will have is tap to share but for how long.
    Not long at all. What's great about NFC is that you can use it beyond just your phone and tablet (not to take anything away from tap to share because it is a nice feature). Also, both Android and iOS support "bump to share".
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    <<Thread moved>>
    Honestly thought this should stay in webOS chat, though it had a minor derailment. I think its important for the webOS community to understand platform differences.
    Last edited by giograves; 02/14/2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, that's why I said "many" and not "most." Deep down, I'm with you when it comes to Android's UI -- I think each release of Android is vastly improved over the last but even stock Gingerbread is a bit on the...uh...Googleish side. But I'm dumb and l hate drilling down through menus.

taharka said what I really wanted to say in a far more diplomatic way. A lot of the complaints that are thrown around on here are so generic that I have to wonder if they've actually used the OS they're complaining about.
    I hear ya. Anyway, the differences between all the competing OSes are very minor. I don't think any of the major competitors have a truly bad OS. Just different. Even though I say Android is clunky, there are plenty of negative comments I could make (and have made) about WebOS as well. NONE of them are anywhere remotely close to perfect, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I hear ya. Anyway, the differences between all the competing OSes are very minor. I don't think any of the major competitors have a truly bad OS. Just different. Even though I say Android is clunky, there are plenty of negative comments I could make (and have made) about WebOS as well. NONE of them are anywhere remotely close to perfect, IMO.
    Very good point and, for those comparing like the OP, its not just the OS: its also the hardware, built-in functions or OS overlays (like HTC Sense), the Apps, accessories (like the touchstone), the carrier and how they all work together and what it all costs. Right now, although I still prefer how webOS does some things (and I really miss the touchstone) the total combination -- for me -- of Android on my Evo (not-rooted, with Sense) is far superior than webOS on my old falling apart pre-minus.

Pre3 might change that, especially if you look at the possible combination of a pre with a tablet. But we won't know that for sure until sometime this summer and have no idea yet on carriers, phone pricing or tablet and accessory pricing -- other than the one $699 report and we don't know which flavor tablet that is referring to. Would love to know what the tablet touchstone and keyboard will run.
    I have used android for some time and decided to try webos. I have tried webos on emulator.
    and I like it.
    I don't like android way of task management.(system close apps auto-matically when not enough memory)
    back key navigation in webos is better than android.
    It looks like hacking webos seems much easier (patching) than android. Android claims to be customizable, but when I compared to ios jailbroken users, they've much more customizable options.
    Just Type is cool. It's 'Quick Option' is great. Perhaps they could add voice control over it.
    I like webos look & feel compared to ios and android.

synergy - If I'm not wrong, android can do that too.
    I doubt webos has 'share' function like in android which is handy for me.
    I can select text (say from browser) and 'share' to facebook, twitter, messaging, 3rd party apps, etc.
    I am waiting for my pre 3!!!
    Last edited by BagyiDaw; 10/18/2011 at 12:26 AM.
    I just got a Galaxy S2 and gotta say i'm missing webOS. I like the notifications way better on my Pre minus. You don't get bogged down searching for tons of widgets or get lost in menus.. everything in webOS is pretty much as close as a pull down menu away. Android is just, to me, really ugly and unintuitive. That said, it still does what I want it to do and quickly albeit I have to keep digging into menus to do it and hitting the home button a million times. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I just got a Galaxy S2 and gotta say i'm missing webOS. I like the notifications way better on my Pre minus. You don't get bogged down searching for tons of widgets or get lost in menus.. everything in webOS is pretty much as close as a pull down menu away. Android is just, to me, really ugly and unintuitive. That said, it still does what I want it to do and quickly albeit I have to keep digging into menus to do it and hitting the home button a million times. Lol
    I'm feeling the same way. I actually don't know if I'll keep the S2 because everything just seems less intuitive. Yes, it's a better, faster phone, but the OS just simply doesn't compare.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I dropped my galaxy s2 for a Pre3. I've not looked back since :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    On webos, uou can focus on what you do and not what apps you've got
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    joen05 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    On webos, uou can focus on what you do and not what apps you've got
    Very well said.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Or alternatively what you can't do ("wait, there is no way to annonate PDFs? there is no dropbox app?")

More seriously, I think starting with the OS and the phone is back-to-front, I start from the position of 1) what do I want to do and 2) where is my information currently held and what platform allows me the best access to that.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234