Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #41  
    I'm stock, HTC Sense with Froyo 2.2, so it seems not to work for all....interesting.

    I haven't been able to find a way that works to root on my mac.

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That's what leads to P|C memes like "Android is clunky" and "iOS doesn't really multitask."
    I have said "Android is clunky" several times, but that comes from use and is an honest opinion, not a "meme." That doesn't stop me from selling the hell out of them, but I still say Android is clunky. The thing is, the differences are not so great that any of the OSes could be considered a bad OS.

    But with the four buttons on the bottom of an Android device, and then more buttons appear on screen when you press the "menu" button... That feels clunky to me. Also the settings menus feel a bit clunky. Long, questionably organized lists that drill down to more long lists.

    Very minor stuff, but when it comes to the overall rating of the overall polish and elegance of an OS, every bit counts.

    Android is clunky. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I have said "Android is clunky" several times, but that comes from use and is an honest opinion, not a "meme." That doesn't stop me from selling the hell out of them, but I still say Android is clunky. The thing is, the differences are not so great that any of the OSes could be considered a bad OS.

    But with the four buttons on the bottom of an Android device, and then more buttons appear on screen when you press the "menu" button... That feels clunky to me. Also the settings menus feel a bit clunky. Long, questionably organized lists that drill down to more long lists.

    Very minor stuff, but when it comes to the overall rating of the overall polish and elegance of an OS, every bit counts.

    Android is clunky. :P
    I don't find any of that clunky.

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4. #44  
    I do. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I do. :P
    That's fine, everyone has preferences and opinions, that's why there are so many different phones and OSs for them.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6. #46  
    Naturally. My point was that it was my opinion that Android is clunky, not something I read on P|C and regurgitated, as was suggested.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Naturally. My point was that it was my opinion that Android is clunky, not something I read on P|C and regurgitated, as was suggested.
    Who suggested that? If you think that was my intention, it definitely wasn't.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8. #48  
    This was quoted in my original reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Many webOS users don't really know what other platforms are like. They just go by what they hear from other webOS users. That's what leads to P|C memes like "Android is clunky" and "iOS doesn't really multitask."
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    This was quoted in my original reply.
    Ah, okay! I see, someone thinks a lot of people are clueless.

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #50  
    I think a lot of the stuff we see here is simply received wisdom, there was a thread in Cross-platform where a lot of webOS users thought that the sort of stuff that synergy does was unique to WebOs.
  11. #51  
    Hate the app storage in Android. It's such a throwback to the days of having to try to optimise memory by moving as much as you can to the SD card.
    On Froyo, had to root the thing (not for the average Joe) and even then a lot of stuff can't be moved.
    webOS is just much better inthis respect.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Naturally. My point was that it was my opinion that Android is clunky, not something I read on P|C and regurgitated, as was suggested.
    To be fair, there ARE people who do as has been suggested. For example, based on his posts, it seems @hatchetjack was convinced that Android was clunky until he tried it. I've seen similar things from many members here.

    Not picking on you @hatchetjack.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Hate the app storage in Android. It's such a throwback to the days of having to try to optimise memory by moving as much as you can to the SD card.
    On Froyo, had to root the thing (not for the average Joe) and even then a lot of stuff can't be moved.
    webOS is just much better inthis respect.
    Indeed. webOS learned to be better here (I still remember webOS' app limit from early on). Why hasn't Android fixed this yet? Or is it simply the fact that webOS devices don't use SD cards yet? I ask because it seems the issue is really with devices that come with little internal memory since they run out of room faster. Would a device with 8GB internal not take just as long to exhibit the issue as a Palm Pre? Honest question. I'm also wondering if this limit has anything to do with pirating. Still, I wish it were resolved especially for those low memory devices.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    In Android, you can swipe notifications away the same way you do in webos. Took me a little bit to figure that out... lol

    Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

    <edit> The above info apparently does not apply to stock Android...
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Mine doesn't let me swipe them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm. What version are you running? I'm currently on 2.3.2

    <edit> Just checked and can't do it in my current ROM. It did work when I was running CyanogenMod7 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm stock, HTC Sense with Froyo 2.2, so it seems not to work for all....interesting.

    I haven't been able to find a way that works to root on my mac.
    no offense to you, but this nicely demonstrates what i don't like about android.

    also i really enjoy (among other things) webos' notifications, universal search/just type, synergy, no jailbreaking/rooting and the messaging app's integration of sms and ims. oh and the community and homebrew scene of course

    imo webos' implementations of those features are superior, which is of course subjective.

    to me android is just too chaotic and counter-intuitive.

    my 0,02
  15. #55  
    I've used Android some, and it's getting better.... But do you ever hear anyone say "Android/iOS multitask BETTER than webOs."

    It says a LOT. There are a lot of things before HP gets in the game better, but the multitasking that webos has was on version 1. Sure they have caught up ... But only to a degree. The thing I like is multi tasking while not having to move your finger all over. It's intuitive because where your thumb is/what it's touching is what your trying to work with. The idea of going to the home button takes your mind, albeit for only a second, off what your doing.

    plus, no one has mentioned stacks.... It's a pretty big and intuitive improvement. I can't ever see anyway Android/iOS coul do that, but for sure without hitting the home button every forth step.
  16. #56  
    My post proves a very clunky feature. Nothing to say fanbots?

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    I've used Android some, and it's getting better.... But do you ever hear anyone say "Android/iOS multitask BETTER than webOs."
    Do you ever hear anyone say VHS is better than Betamax? No? It's because it doesn't matter. If everyone can multitask to the point where it is very useful, saying "we multitask better" is a statement that only matters to webOS users. Consumers in general don't seem to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    It says a LOT.
    No. It doesn't. All it says is "we don't have anything else to advertise so we'll keep pushing this." Ever wonder why none of the desktop OS manufactures don't brag about multitasking features?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    There are a lot of things before HP gets in the game better, but the multitasking that webos has was on version 1. Sure they have caught up ... But only to a degree. The thing I like is multi tasking while not having to move your finger all over. It's intuitive because where your thumb is/what it's touching is what your trying to work with. The idea of going to the home button takes your mind, albeit for only a second, off what your doing.
    Multitasking via cards in webOS is very nice. I don't think anyone who has used a "windowed" OS would disagree. Having said that, I don't think a linux command line user us has to issue "bg", "fg" and "jobs" to manage task switching is going to say Windows is better simply because it has and "ALT+TAB" feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    plus, no one has mentioned stacks.... It's a pretty big and intuitive improvement. I can't ever see anyway Android/iOS coul do that, but for sure without hitting the home button every forth step.
    Stacks is...nice. I don't think the world outside of webOS will care much about it though. I could be wrong.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    My post proves a very clunky feature. Nothing to say fanbots?
    Fanbots. Clever. <-- not really.

    Your post points out a bug. There is a big difference between having a bug and being clunky.

    Here is an example. webOS has an issue with synching calendars beyond 2-3 months for some services. Does that mean webOS is now clunky or is this just a bad feature (or bug)? webOS can't play notifications over bluetooth which was inconvenient for me on bike rides. webOS is clunky, right? No, I'd say this is just a missing feature.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again; trying to make other platforms look bad does not improve your platform of choice.

    This thread was started by someone looking for help to make webOS look better than Android because he/she couldn't find anything real in person. If you own and use a product and you need to ask for help to prove the product is better, you've already proven that it is not.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Fanbots. Clever. <-- not really.

    Your post points out a bug. There is a big difference between having a bug and being clunky.

    Here is an example. webOS has an issue with synching calendars beyond 2-3 months for some services. Does that mean webOS is now clunky or is this just a bad feature (or bug)? webOS can't play notifications over bluetooth which was inconvenient for me on bike rides. webOS is clunky, right? No, I'd say this is just a missing feature.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again; trying to make other platforms look bad does not improve your platform of choice.

    This thread was started by someone looking for help to make webOS look better than Android because he/she couldn't find anything real in person. If you own and use a product and you need to ask for help to prove the product is better, you've already proven that it is not.


    correct and true statement. People need to use what is best for them, and again every OS has its short comings, bugs, and limitations.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm. What version are you running? I'm currently on 2.3.2

    <edit> Just checked and can't do it in my current ROM. It did work when I was running CyanogenMod7 though.
    Yeah, it's a rooted thing, and only with certain roms.

    I'm not rooted. I tried for a couple weeks with someone from the AC forums, but it never took. Too bad, because we were going to write a how to on Mac rooting.

    I just need to grab a windows machine and get it done. Every time I want an app, I have to find one to delete to male room. I can't even always update currents apps for lack of space. I need to root and get rid of NASCAR, Nova, and a bunch of the other crap I don't use.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions