Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Bla bla, bla, who even cares which is better, what matters is what suits you best, for me, hands down it is webOS and the future products are looking mighty sweet.
    Many webOS users don't really know what other platforms are like. They just go by what they hear from other webOS users. That's what leads to P|C memes like "Android is clunky" and "iOS doesn't really multitask."
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Many webOS users don't really know what other platforms are like. They just go by what they hear from other webOS users. That's what leads to P|C memes like "Android is clunky" and "iOS doesn't really multitask."
    Exactly. I used android so know how multitasking works. And I have iPad but I have update the old firmware. And I used my friends iphone4 and I was very surprise how easy multitasking on iPhone. It just your preference. Maybe webos was the king of multitasking a year ago , but not any more.

Sent from Tapatalk
    I hold the home button on my android pad. But returning to the exact status of each apps were hit and missed. I tied of this. Webos Cards system or flipping are much much better and promissing
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    On my bike rides I do similar things. I launch my tracking app and it automatically launchess my music app to a predetermined playlist when I start my workout. I take phone calls and the music pauses. When my tracker is giving me distance/speed readouts, the music volume is lowered. My notification sounds play in my Bluetooth headset and my text messages and emails can be read to me. All this time, my Android phone is in my backpack and out of reach.

True multitasking is being able to perform tasks on my phone AND in my life without worries. It's kind of hard to use "cards" on a bike.

If you have to come on this site to ask for help in finding an obscure workflow in order to prove your point about webOS, I'd argue that your point has already failed.
    I understand what you're trying to say, but you're completely backwards. Android's microphone and voice APIs are great. I wish every single day webOS had full APIs and that HP would quit ditching out on SDKs before they're even completed. It's a joke.

That said, your example of having some pre-programmed series of commands is a lot less impressive than having an OS that beautifully handles dynamic situations that come up. My situation was dynamic. I wasn't expecting to handle all that in 30sec. and that was 6 months ago when Android would have been using Eclair 2.1 at the latest. From what I've witnessed, Android does not handle multitasking as elegantly as webOS, and that's all I'm saying.

Side note, I get notification beeps on my bluetooth while I'm talking and I get texts. Wonder if it's unintentional, haha.

Side side note, I won't argue that Android is way way better than it used to be. My googler buddy got a G1 when it first came out and I think he was on Android 1.5, Cupcake. It was TERRIBLE. Laggy, buggy, ugly, and clunky. Only a true geek could possibly like it because it was such an incredible joke of an OS. Now, less than 2 years later, Android is almost unrecognizable. webOS had a HUGE advantage over Android in many aspects when it launched, but I dare say it's added nothing worth noting in the past 2 years while Android's development has screamed along. It's sad that HP still believes they're light years ahead.
    I got a feeling that we WebOS users are one of two things.

Either we are very early adopters of what could / will become a dominant operating system. ie: like those who stuck with apple before Jobs returned.

Or we are using the Betamax of operating systems, better, but just wont survive.

Just my 2
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

We're neither. webOS was superior as UI when compared to iOS or Android when webOS actually launched. It's not superior any longer, just different. I expect webOS will simply be inferior to iOS and Android as a UI at the Pre3 launch this Summer.

In fact, I'm absolutely AMAZED that webOS has aged as gracefully as it has, but this "rebuild it from the ground up" every year before we even finish the APIs garbage has allowed the OS to really lose all it's major advantages.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    webOS is pretty, and intuitive, while Android is neither of those.

OK, that's a bit harsh. However, Android looks and feels like a skin on top of a Linux distro. That isn't bad in and of itself, but using it day in and day out for a year or two just becomes annoying.
    +1 to both of those
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    We're neither. webOS was superior as UI when compared to iOS or Android when webOS actually launched. It's not superior any longer, just different. I expect webOS will simply be inferior to iOS and Android as a UI at the Pre3 launch this Summer.

In fact, I'm absolutely AMAZED that webOS has aged as gracefully as it has, but this "rebuild it from the ground up" every year before we even finish the APIs garbage has allowed the OS to really lose all it's major advantages.
    You are absolutely 100% correct!!!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    For me it comes down to user experience, as opposed to raw functionality. I can do less with my Pre2 than I can with my Evo, but I generally enjoy doing them on my Pre2 more. WebOS is fun and fluid, while Android is comparatively clunky and disjointed. Even after six months, I still have "duh moments" with my Evo while trying to perform simple tasks, just because Android isn't as intuitive IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    webOS is pretty, and intuitive, while Android is neither of those.
    That is completely subjective. I happen to find Android rather pleasing to the eye and intuitive. While I find Webos plain and quite boring. It is intuitive though.
    That said, your example of having some pre-programmed series of commands is a lot less impressive than having an OS that beautifully handles dynamic situations that come up.
    Pre-programmed series of commands? Really? The only thing in my use case that can been somewhat considered pre-programmed is having 1 app start another (it's a feature, a very nice feature, built into CardioTrainer on Android just like it's a feature built into FlashCards on webOS). But nothing else I've mentioned is any less dynamic than your examples. When I'm not listening to my specific playlist, I simply load up both CardioTrainer and the music app (or Pandora or a podcast). The emails and SMS text being read to me is pre-programmed? I don't think I can "schedule" those to happen on my ride. They happen when they happen and when they do, they are read to me over my BT headset. If a call comes in (or I need to make a call), it's a tap of my BT device to connect and the other tasks remain running in the background (GPS is still tracking, music is paused, distance/pace readouts continue but in a lower volume) and when I disconnect the call everything goes back to normal. If I'm listing to a podcast on my EVO while I'm driving and a call comes in, the caller info is read out loud to me and I simply "say" whether I want to answer. If I do answer, the music is muted until my call is finished. If I happend to be routing via GPS at the time, that keeps on guiding me as long as I have enough data cached (shakes fist at CDMA) or I'm on 4G.

What exactly is the "pre-programmed series of steps" that you are referring to? Like I've stated, there are many times I multitask with my EVO without even touching the thing. Honestly, webOS has some cool features but Palm is the only one that tries to convince its users that true multitasking is unique to its platform. It is simply not the case.
    ...this "rebuild it from the ground up" every year before we even finish the APIs garbage has allowed the OS to really lose all it's major advantages.
    This is what causes me to wonder how honest Palm was being when they claimed that webOS scales extremely well. There shouldn't have to be that much rebuilding of something so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This is what causes me to wonder how honest Palm was being when they claimed that webOS scales extremely well. There shouldn't have to be that much rebuilding of something so soon.
    I was just talking about one app launching another. In regard to the voice emails over the bluetooth, I gave Android the credit for mic and voice API's that webOS simply cannot compete with right now.

I think webOS probably did scale really well. HP just wanted it to scale in app development so that one app would work at different resolutions/screen sizes with no programming changes. It was a very premature and ill advised decision to try and do too much in such a short timespan. The TouchPad should have had gestures and launched with WebOS 2.2. Enyo should have been released at the end of this year, AFTER HP had some customer base.

HP just clearly does not understand the mobile device market. They don't get it at all. They'd be better off saying, Oppps, our bad! Releasing the TouchPad on 2.2 and saving 3.0 until next year. With the extra resources freed up from the Enyo SDK and 3.0 development, push webOS 2.0 to legacy devices as an update you can get in the store (not OTA) to avoid any problems with repartitioning. BAM. Sooooo many people would be happy.
    EDIT: Here's a simple one: When playing music android doesn't pause when you play another source (youtube, pandora, etc) and instead plays the audio over what ever is playing.

I got one but it's hard to show off.

Over bluetooth the pre would play the last played audio (whether Dr. Podder, Music remix etc)

My android phone will play the default music app no matter what when I press play on my bluetooth stereo. (which would be ok if the music app wasn't complete crap)

I have beyondpod for podcasts and this works over bluetooth as long as I press play on the phone first.

I have Music Player Pro(awesome app!) but it won't play unless I turn on a setting "headset override"

But with that on, Beyond pod has no control.

Luckly Music Play Pro has another setting under that "Only override when Player pro is active"

But, the app is always active cause this is android.

So each time I want to use beyondpod I have to goto Player Pro>Hit menu>close

And still everytime I press play on my stereo the default music app rears its ugly disjointed ui.

:sigh:
    Last edited by IcerC; 02/13/2011 at 11:31 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Two of my favorite things about webOS over android are the in-notification controls for things like Pandora and music, and being able to clear notifications one at a time.

It has been argued that if you just touch it in android that clears it. But only beause it takes you to the app. I don't always want to act immediately, if even ever, on every single notification I get.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    I hold the home button on my android pad. But returning to the exact status of each apps were hit and missed. I tied of this. Webos Cards system or flipping are much much better and promissing
    This too.

I've tried a couple of task handling apps like Quick Desk, and those made some apps return to the proper spot but others still not. And qd doesn't seem to recognize Navigation as a recent app, which bothers me because I have a second job as a delivery person.

Nothing like having the apps just opened still, right where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    Two of my favorite things about webOS over android are the in-notification controls for things like Pandora and music, and being able to clear notifications one at a time.

It has been argued that if you just touch it in android that clears it. But only beause it takes you to the app. I don't always want to act immediately, if even ever, on every single notification I get.

In Android, you can swipe notifications away the same way you do in webos. Took me a little bit to figure that out... lol

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

<edit> The above info apparently does not apply to stock Android...
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 02/14/2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    In Android, you can swipe notifications away the same way you do in webos. Took me a little bit to figure that out... lol

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Mine doesn't let me swipe them.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Mine doesn't let me swipe them.

Sent from my eVo
    Hmm. What version are you running? I'm currently on 2.3.2

<edit> Just checked and can't do it in my current ROM. It did work when I was running CyanogenMod7 though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast