Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Samsung Galaxy S II official: dual-core 1GHz CPU, 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus, coming this month (hands-on with video) -- Engadget

Just officially announced at MWC. This hardware looks amazing. The Samsung screens are always top-notch and the specs are up there with the best.

I'm one of those poor launch day Sprint Pre minus users and I'm already on the edge of skipping a generation of HP/Palm devices until they get their act together. Although I'd pick up a Pre 3 right now if it were available, if this comes out on Sprint first it's mine.
    I have an original Galaxy S and I am surprised to see them bump the screen even bigger. IMO 4" is the perfect screen size.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    With the announcement of the Galaxy S II, maybe the price of the original will drop enough that I can pick up a used one cheap. Then I could use my HD2 as a dev phone.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Oh, and HP should be paying attention here. Samsung announced a great new phone with a release date a few weeks away. That's how it should be done.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have an original Galaxy S and I am surprised to see them bump the screen even bigger. IMO 4" is the perfect screen size.
    I thought the EVO (also 4.3") was a good fit for my hand. Looking at the pictures, the bezel on the new Galaxy looks ultra-thin. Even the thickness of the phone looks to be cut down a bit.

From Engadget:
    We were able to spend a little bit of time with the Galaxy S II today, and we can conclusively say that this is one gorgeous device. It shares the Infuse 4G's aspirations as an ultra-thin Android device and arguably shares most of its industrial design elements, but interestingly, the Infuse steps down from 4.5 to 4.3 inches -- either a nod to the fact that 4.5 is too big for a mainstream smartphone, or a sign that the 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus component simply isn't ready yet. You totally notice how ridiculously thin the phone is as it rests in your hand, and the effect is amplified by the fact that it's got so much surface area -- the screen-to-edge ratio is off the charts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I thought the EVO (also 4.3") was a good fit for my hand. Looking at the pictures, the bezel on the new Galaxy looks ultra-thin. Even the thickness of the phone looks to be cut down a bit.
    I agree. 4.3" is perfect for me. The smallest that I'd go is 4"...

Hopefully HPalm will see the Galaxy s2 and seriously upgrade the specs of the Pre3 if/when its released.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    Hopefully HPalm will see the Galaxy s2 and seriously upgrade the specs of the Pre3. Otherwise
    By the end of this summer, we will be bunch of phones with galaxy s2 type and with different sizes, probably 4+. Hp needs to come out with their own design. But I think they are just going to focus ob tablet.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Oh, and HP should be paying attention here. Samsung announced a great new phone with a release date a few weeks away. That's how it should be done.

I think the main reason hp isn't releasing until summer isn't hardware, but software. They know they must launch with netflix, skype, kindle, etc..
  10.    #10  
    Yea, a lot of the people who went to the HP event noted that the hardware seemed pretty solid and pretty damn near final. Also, didn't we hear from DigiTimes that they would be shipping hardware to HP in March? That would lead me to think that it's the software and lack of apps holding up these launches.
  11.    #11  
    Did I hear that correctly in the video?! Battery over 1600mAh. Wow...
    Sure everyone like it now. But when it's released and a new android update is available and Samsung acts like they can't get it out, we're going to have the same thing that is happening now with the current galaxy devices. People ****ed off saying they will never buy an Samsung device again. Happen with the moment, behold II, galaxy devices, and it will probably happen again with this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Sure everyone like it now. But when it's released and a new android update is available and Samsung acts like they can't get it out, we're going to have the same thing that is happening now with the current galaxy devices. People ****ed off saying they will never buy an Samsung device again. Happen with the moment, behold II, galaxy devices, and it will probably happen again with this.
    Probably true, but I don't plan on staying on Android for long. Just want a high-spec phone to hold me over until HP and Palm figure out what they're doing.

I'm not familiar with the Android homebrew community, but haven't they been able to update their phones with leaked/tweaked ROM's and such?

EDIT: I'm a Pre minus user. Isn't exactly what you said with Samsung happening to us right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Probably true, but I don't plan on staying on Android for long. Just want a high-spec phone to hold me over until HP and Palm figure out what they're doing.

I'm not familiar with the Android homebrew community, but haven't they been able to update their phones with leaked/tweaked ROM's and such?
    Yeah they have it with homebrew.
    Wow, we are complaining about lack of update? When did pre plus got update? And are we going to get 2.0 upgrade? Sanding phone and their upgrade progress is better than hp and pre plus.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    That's why it's good to not rely on a company to supply updates. I'm a big fan of custom ROMs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's why it's good to not rely on a company to supply updates. I'm a big fan of custom ROMs anyway.

I do to. But there are always certain things that may not work on a custom ROM like visual voicemail or 4g. I think those developers need for the company to release the official latest update so they can get those things working a lot faster with less effort.
    There are lots of technically impressive Android devices, but very few of them are impressive once you actually play with them because Android has yet to make tablets compelling.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    There are lots of technically impressive Android devices, but very few of them are impressive once you actually play with them because Android has yet to make tablets compelling.
    Who else got the tablet? Yeah, that's right, hp just announced the tablet but that's going to be release this summer. Google has honeycomb. For looks of it, it's very compelling. By this summer, there will be several honeycomb tablets in the market.

Sent from Tapatalk
    I wish someone would have asked palm why they went with a 1.4 gig processor instead of a dual core. I have a feeling that a lot of apps are not going to be optimized to take advantage of dual cores like most games cant take advantage of quad cores. That being said it seems like Samsung hit all the hot points with this design. If it was rocking 3.0 with Mattis's spit on it i would consider it.
    I wrote a lot at first but decided to edit and say this: make sure you've done your homework when it comes to Android. Make sure you've really down your homework when it comes to Samsung + Android.

You may find it's not the answer many frustrated webOS users decide it must be. "The grass is greener..."
    Last edited by jonathan likes the pre; 02/13/2011 at 04:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast