1.    #1  
    I've been with Palm since the Palm V, bought the Pre on launch day, but I can't wait around any longer. I'm considering the iPhone 4 (have an iPad, so I know iOS) or the HTC Thunderbolt (never tried Android). My business pays, so can switch to any carrier (prefer Verizon) - really looking for a good email and web browsing experience. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    I would wait t'ill mobile world congress is over.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I would wait t'ill mobile world congress is over.
    Looked it up 2/14 - 2/17...makes sense to wait a week...I don't think the HTC Tunderbolt is even out until 2/24...Thanks
    If you NEED another phone, get one. If your current phone meets your needs, maybe not.

I don't think the Pre3 will be available until July or September, so that's the window you need to plan for as a minimum.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you NEED another phone, get one. If your current phone meets your needs, maybe not.

I don't think the Pre3 will be available until July or September, so that's the window you need to plan for as a minimum.
    I've already decided to get another phone. I was more looking for recommendations regarding Android devices vs. the iPhone from others who are in my position. Thanks.
    If I was going to get an Android, it would be the new Evo slider that Sprint just launched.
    If I was going to get an Android, it would be the new Evo slider that Sprint just launched.
    I love this phone!

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    I've already decided to get another phone. I was more looking for recommendations regarding Android devices vs. the iPhone from others who are in my position. Thanks.
    I find the iPhone to be boring. Just icons. I would say Android because widgets are so cool. It's like getting information without opening an app.

Anything specific your looking for in a phone?

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Inspire for (( on contract. 400 off.

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-co...-4g-only-39999

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  10.    #10  
    How does the email app on Android compare to the Pre & iPhone? None of them are as good as Chatter on my old Treo, but Webos & iOS are passable. Does Android have email aliases and subfolder push? Are there any decent 3rd party email apps? Email is really my #1 need. I think they all perform similarly in web browsing. I prefer a physical keyboard, but the new device screens are so large, that it might be time to try a device with only a virtual keyboard.
    Don't get the Droid Pro whatever you do. I thought it would be kind of like having a giant Centro with Android slapped on top. Its buggy and the Motorola skin is no good.

If your going to get an iPhone, you may as well wait for the iPhone 5. If I were you I'd get the Nexus S, it's Android the way Google meants it to be and it has Gingerbread. You'll love it for the first
    little while and then you'll notice that Dr. Podder on the Pre is the best podcast app out there. And there will be other little things that will have you thinking about the things you actually like about webos.

then you find yourself on your old pre, browsing the precentral forums... Wait... Sorry that's just me.

Sent from my Pre
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    I prefer a physical keyboard, but the new device screens are so large, that it might be time to try a device with only a virtual keyboard.
    My employer replaced my Sprint Pre with a Droid-X right before Christmas. The virtual keyboard with haptic feedback turned on is easier to type on than the Pre's keyboard in portrait mode, and rotating to landscape makes the keyboard big enough to almost type two-handed on. I have *big* fingers, and have not really played with swype because the virtual keyboard works fine for me.

The best part about the Droid-X is Palm's weakest link with webOS...voice recognition. I don't type very much on the Droid, because it is faster to just talk to the phone. For example, I had to go to a banquet at a restaurant in another state yesterday. Rather than having to look up the street address of the place and punch it into Sprint Navigation or a GPS, I pushed the speech button in Google Navigation, said the restaurant name, city, and state, and it had directions on the screen in 5 seconds. You might not even miss having a keyboard, since the voice recognition works so well.

I still personally own a Pre+, and I dread having to interact with it via keyboard. On the other hand, I loathe the illogical UI and it's use of navigation buttons on the Droid-X, and want to throw the phone into a wall every time that I want to delete a text message and it takes a gazillion taps and holds to accomplish that. Launcher Pro makes the Motorola crap UI bearable, but in at the end of the day there is no replacement for the webOS UI in my opinion. Hopefully, the Pre3 will have rock-solid voice recognition, because it is the only feature that I would miss from Android.....
    Very helpful discussion. I'm facing similar issue. Wondering if the OP sees any issues having a different OS between phone and tablet and whether coming functionality will make having the same OS more desirable?

I want Android to work for both but am afraid the different implementations of Android will make coherency and simplicity difficult. Also concerned that accessories are less likely with so much differentiation.

I'm thinking of suffering the iPhone because of the apps and accessories that probably won't exist on other platforms at least for 2 years of a contract.
    I just got this phone, very very good device
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Very helpful discussion. I'm facing similar issue. Wondering if the OP sees any issues having a different OS between phone and tablet and whether coming functionality will make having the same OS more desirable?
    Not an issue at all because all of my data is in the cloud, so I'm using multiple operating systems to access Google, Fastmail, and Exchange.
    Verizon told me to come in tomorrow to see the Thunderbolt. Is it not going to be there?
    i'd list the stuff that's most important then go where they are. I wouldn't wait for anything any longer. if they don't have it now or you don't reasonalby expect them to get that feature i wouldn't assume it's coming.

i got the pre assuming certain bigger apps would come. they never did and since the 2.0 upgrade won't be compatible with my phone, if i don't use the doctor i got the those apps that would be built later that i was hoping for, like a sound hound won't work on my phone.

like if the webos interface is the end all and be all for you get another old webos phone. if you want certain apps go where they are. or a certain caliber of camera, or certain services. Maybe it needs a certain compatibility with your work. Don't know the answer but I'd buy what works now for you and if that's HP buy the HP product. If it isn't i'd get whatever does work and if you want to go back to HP do it when they catch up to your needs.