Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think PCworld is making sense with these 5 differences between the actual iPad and the new HP TouchPad. 5 reasons why I will wait for the TouchPad and you?

Notifications

HP's TouchPad has a dedicated bar at the top of the screen for notifications, using icons to inform you of incoming text messages or e-mails. Tapping these icons brings up a small pop-up, allowing you to sort through messages without leaving the current app.

The iPad's notifications, by comparison, are crude pop-ups that interrupt whatever you're doing.

Resizable Keyboard, With Numbers

The virtual keyboard on HP's TouchPad comes in four sizes, letting you find the right balance between comfort and screen real estate.

And unlike the iPad, which makes you switch to a different set of keys for numbers, the TouchPad's keyboard includes number keys above the main group of letters.

Phone Pairing

If you've got an HP Pre 3 or Veer smartphone, you can tap it against the TouchPad to transfer a website, text message, phone call, document or song from one device to the other. You can take or make calls on the TouchPad via Bluetooth with a nearby WebOS phone and view your phone's text messages on the big screen.

Social Photos

On the iPad, your photo gallery is an island of locally stored images that can only be shared with the outside world through e-mail.

The TouchPad's photo application is more social, incorporating pictures from Facebook -- including comments - along with Snapfish and Photobucket. You can use the built-in photo app to upload locally stored photos to social networks as well.

"Just Type"

The "Just Type" feature of WebOS is similar to the iPad's universal search bar, letting you search by text through apps, contacts or the Web.

But HP's version goes a step further by letting you crank out e-mails and status updates without ever entering an individual app.

HP TouchPad: 5 Features the iPad Lacks - PCWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I think PCworld is making sense with these 5 differences between the actual iPad and the new HP TouchPad. 5 reasons why I will wait for the TouchPad and you?

Notifications

HP's TouchPad has a dedicated bar at the top of the screen for notifications, using icons to inform you of incoming text messages or e-mails. Tapping these icons brings up a small pop-up, allowing you to sort through messages without leaving the current app.

The iPad's notifications, by comparison, are crude pop-ups that interrupt whatever you're doing.

Resizable Keyboard, With Numbers

The virtual keyboard on HP's TouchPad comes in four sizes, letting you find the right balance between comfort and screen real estate.

And unlike the iPad, which makes you switch to a different set of keys for numbers, the TouchPad's keyboard includes number keys above the main group of letters.

Phone Pairing

If you've got an HP Pre 3 or Veer smartphone, you can tap it against the TouchPad to transfer a website, text message, phone call, document or song from one device to the other. You can take or make calls on the TouchPad via Bluetooth with a nearby WebOS phone and view your phone's text messages on the big screen.

Social Photos

On the iPad, your photo gallery is an island of locally stored images that can only be shared with the outside world through e-mail.

The TouchPad's photo application is more social, incorporating pictures from Facebook -- including comments - along with Snapfish and Photobucket. You can use the built-in photo app to upload locally stored photos to social networks as well.

"Just Type"

The "Just Type" feature of WebOS is similar to the iPad's universal search bar, letting you search by text through apps, contacts or the Web.

But HP's version goes a step further by letting you crank out e-mails and status updates without ever entering an individual app.

HP TouchPad: 5 Features the iPad Lacks - PCWorld
    I hope this becomes more of a reality. As it is, it just opens that app and pasts what you typed. I know it's still great, but I wish that if I tap Memo or Facebook it would actually just do it, instead of requiring another step.
    I'm pretty sure everyone was watching a taking notes on how they can one up hp by taking some of their ideas and improving on them. They all can implement these features with a software update now or later and steal hp's thunder. After all hp put there cards on the table for all to see and giving them months to make necessary changes to their software and devices. If your slow you blow... idiots.

Sfm Evo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone was watching a taking notes on how they can one up hp by taking some of their ideas and improving on them. They all can implement these features with a software update now or later and steal hp's thunder. After all hp put there cards on the table for all to see and giving them months to make necessary changes to their software and devices. If your slow you blow... idiots.

Sfm Evo
    True and SJ will say "we are not the first on this, and we called "knock to share"
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I hope this becomes more of a reality. As it is, it just opens that app and pasts what you typed. I know it's still great, but I wish that if I tap Memo or Facebook it would actually just do it, instead of requiring another step.
    Besides that you said ,I was wondering when they will come with quickoffice editable and copy and paste. This last I didnīt see a demo of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    True and SJ will say "we are not the first on this, and we called "knock to share"
    It's actually already available, and it's called Bump. There's an app for that.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Problem is Apple will have these 5 things plugged up before the touchpad even comes out. 4 months is a long time in the techworld.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    Can someone explain to me how I would use tap-to-share in real life unless I was on a GSM network?

Why would I transfer a call to my tablet? I could see transferring a website to my tablet, but why would I be on the phone looking at the website in the first place?

Say someone texted me the website, then I could see this. Probably a rare use case, but makes sense.
    very nice, but he forgot to mention the touchstone
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Can someone explain to me how I would use tap-to-share in real life unless I was on a GSM network?

Why would I transfer a call to my tablet? I could see transferring a website to my tablet, but why would I be on the phone looking at the website in the first place?

Say someone texted me the website, then I could see this. Probably a rare use case, but makes sense.
    The call sharing and website sharing are separate but both use bluetooth to do the sharing.

For the call sharing, the TouchPad is like a giant bluetooth earpiece. Practical use is that I can leave my phone by my bed and go to the big screen in the living room with my pad without worrying about running back to my bed when I hear a call. I don't like carrying my phone around the house, more so if I have a tablet handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    The call sharing and website sharing are separate but both use bluetooth to do the sharing.

For the call sharing, the TouchPad is like a giant bluetooth earpiece. Practical use is that I can leave my phone by my bed and go to the big screen in the living room with my pad without worrying about running back to my bed when I hear a call. I don't like carrying my phone around the house, more so if I have a tablet handy.
    You would need to be able to answer the call on the Touchpad and I thought it was about "passing" a call from the phone. You would need an app to answer the call through the bluetooth connection. That's not really tap2share, but it does sound cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post

Sfm Evo
    Thats assuming we know all of TouchPad's features. I know of one that is missing: Music Synergy. There are others that are missing possibly. We won't know until it hits the market.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It's actually already available, and it's called Bump. There's an app for that.
    If this is the app you mentioned is for app recommendations only.???

Bump
    Bump for iOS now shares app recommendations
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by espc31 View Post
    Problem is Apple will have these 5 things plugged up before the touchpad even comes out. 4 months is a long time in the techworld.
    What about patents in this case?

maybe different OS then Apple just copy them, like RIM with the swipes.
  15. JKM
    When the TouchPad finally hits the market, it will have to compete with iPad2.
    So they have to compare TouchPad with iPad2,
    which is not possible because no one knows, what the features of the iPad2 will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post

You don't look at websites on your phone?

I frequently see something on a website on my phone, and want it on my computer. Currently, I email the URL. I don't see that feature as "essential", but it looks pretty cool.

Seems someone said something about wanting the HP devices to be cool...
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thats assuming we know all of TouchPad's features. I know of one that is missing: Music Synergy. There are others that are missing possibly. We won't know until it hits the market.
    In the Rubinstein/McArthur interview on Engadget, they say to standby for music synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by espc31 View Post
    Lets not forget the other big things apple will not "plug" up: True, elegant multitasking and adobe flash. Not to mention, the phone pairing, requires a change in iphone hardware as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    In the Rubinstein/McArthur interview on Engadget, they say to standby for music synergy.
    And thats my point exactly. We don't know all the features yet. There might be new innovations we don't know that will be shown later.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prefectionist View Post
    Lets not forget the other big things apple will not "plug" up: True, elegant multitasking and adobe flash. Not to mention, the phone pairing, requires a change in iphone hardware as well.
    Let us also not forget that some of this five have been around in webOS for a couple of years almost now and Apple has not done anything about them yet, no guarantees they do now.

---sent from an iPad, that I wish was a TouchPad.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast