Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    I think you're painting this with too broad a brush. TTS is an added feature for convenience. It does not bring something to either the new palm phone or the Touchpad that isn't already accessible to them individually.

Playbook currently needs a tethered BB to access 'live' PIM data. So the Playbook needs help accessing the same content the phone has.

The difference here is the HP Touchpad can work independently of the Pre3/Veer and view all the same memos/calendars/facebooks/websites/contacts/emails as the phone lines. The RIM playbook needs the BB for the functionality the phone currently has. One shares access to the same services, the other allows access. While it may not seem to be a monumental difference, in essence the Playbook is handcuffed out of the box, while the Touchpad would not be in this example.
    I agree with your point, but my point focuses more on the fact HP seems to think that one of the most compelling features they have over competitors is TTS, but in reality it is a useless feature unless one buys a new WebOS phone and a Touchpad. If I need to purchase a new phone with my tablet, what keeps me from buying Apple, RIM or Android?

If the primary tech begind TTS is bluetooth couldn't it be made to work with other WebOS phones? Competitors phones (perhaps with an HP App for those devices)?
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    If the primary tech begind TTS is bluetooth couldn't it be made to work with other WebOS phones? Competitors phones (perhaps with an HP App for those devices)?
    The primary tech behind TTS isn't BT or it would work up to 30 ft away. It is definitely another tech that simply works with/triggers the BT to make the data pass.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    TTS is a bulletpoint in a long list of features. Alone it does not sell devices, but add the other exclusive WebOS features and HP begins to separate itself from the competition. I'm talking about unified Palm profiles, synergy, notifications, exhibition, printing, just type, etc. And when people get their device and want more there's an amazing homebrew community to turn to. HP/Palm have plenty to get buyers excited about, even this thread is titled with 5 specific ways, and I think there are more. Still, that being said, I really want TTS! It seems like a great way to integrate phone and Pad content beyond cloud and network sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've looked into this and as far as I can see it's bluetooth but oddly the spec says that you need wireless connectivity to make this work (plus both devices must be logged into the same profile).
    Well it looks like Android will use NFC: Latest Android Gingerbread release brings NFC and Bluetooth together for tappable sharing -- Engadget
    Why was this thread moved to cross-platform chat when the focus of the discussion is the TouchPad?
  6.    #66  
    Now , as you know more than me there in the US about the iPad and how is Apples usually behavior when it comes to new versions like the iPad2 which is re-confirmed now everywhere for an announcement next week March 2 and launch for April.

I was thinking on what/which of the 5 (+the touchstone ? for the touchpad) will the iPad 2 replicate from the TouchPad for sure? At least one , two or....
    which is your sure bet?
    Considering the iPad 2 was already in production by the time the TP Was announced, probably nothing. If anything, it will be the other way around.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Considering the iPad 2 was already in production by the time the TP Was announced, probably nothing. If anything, it will be the other way around.
    But remember some changes in software might be done on the way.Maybe.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234