Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I hope this becomes more of a reality. As it is, it just opens that app and pasts what you typed. I know it's still great, but I wish that if I tap Memo or Facebook it would actually just do it, instead of requiring another step.
    What if you accidentally tap the wrong thing and post to fb when you meant to write a memo? Maybe if a confirm message popped up, but this is essentially what the app opening does. Plus it opens in the background and you can go back to confirm later even; it actually adds more function.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Can someone explain to me how I would use tap-to-share in real life unless I was on a GSM network?

Why would I transfer a call to my tablet? I could see transferring a website to my tablet, but why would I be on the phone looking at the website in the first place?

Say someone texted me the website, then I could see this. Probably a rare use case, but makes sense.
    About Tap to share and Better together, this is what is on the Palm web site:

Better together.

The next generation of Touchstone technology makes HP devices work better together. Easily share a URL with your Pre3 simply by tapping them together.2,8

Share a URL from your Pre3 and continue reading on a larger screen. Just tap the devices together.2,8

Receive text messages and answer phone calls on your TouchPad so you don’t miss a thing.9,10,11

Start reading a website or blog on a TouchPad and then tap your smartphone to take it to go.2,8

We’re building more connected devices so you can have a more connected experience.

#2. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

#8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

# 9. Within wireless coverage area only. SMS, MMS, and IM require data services at additional cost. Availability of IM functionality may vary by carrier.

# 10. Voice service requires separately purchased service contract. Availability may vary by carrier.

# 11. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads...pad/index.html
    Here are some things I've read over from HP/Palm that I think some posters here missed or forgot:

• Touch To Share was mentioned to not only send URLs, but the entire session with it. I would simplify the description on my general product page as well. (read: less techie stuff is better for everyone eh?)

• Why are they sharing Palm Profiles? For security. They did it that way so no one else can TTS your session.

• Difference from Bump? Bump uses their own servers to figure out who you bumped phones with. Then based on some algorithm that checks your GPS location and proximity to the other phone you bumped with, data then transfers through your data connection (this according to Bump's How It Works info). TTS uses bluetooth to transfer stuff and most likely uses your data connection to verify that both devices use the same Palm Profile. Not exactly the same, is it?
    I still think TTS is not a big deal as it requires the user to buy a new phone and the TP (and maybe two data contracts rather than one). I just don't see many people running out to buy both just for that feature. I would think the idea is to win Android, Blackberry and iPhone users over to WebOS. If those users have to make a wholesale investment in an unproven vendor (who just blew off all of their installed base) I don't see it happening. They should instead focus on features and capabilities that are useful to everyone. This is as bad as RIM expecting Playbook users to have a Blackberry except RIM has a much larger installed base and I suspect some of their existing phones will work with the Playbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    I still think TTS is not a big deal as it requires the user to buy a new phone and the TP (and maybe two data contracts rather than one). I just don't see many people running out to buy both just for that feature. I would think the idea is to win Android, Blackberry and iPhone users over to WebOS. If those users have to make a wholesale investment in an unproven vendor (who just blew off all of their installed base) I don't see it happening. They should instead focus on features and capabilities that are useful to everyone. This is as bad as RIM expecting Playbook users to have a Blackberry except RIM has a much larger installed base and I suspect some of their existing phones will work with the Playbook.
    I expect HP to sell them as a bundle like the do PCs/Displays/Printers.

They could really get creative with that, and aggressive on the price.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yeah, they got cut and paste and multi-tasking out lickety split.
    you're being sarcastic, right?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    One thing I don't get is why don't tablets have cd drives? It seems like they could squeeze them in there but I am by no means tech savvy so I thought I would ask.
    This is the only thing that holds it back from completely replacing my pc/laptop..
    that's what the USB port is for. I have an external DVD drive for my netbook, and I've used it maybe 3 times in the last year.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Gotcha. Just one more piece of hardware that I'll need to buy I guess, along with an external hard drive for all my music when I finally ditch my pc and most likely get a touchpad.
    Just thought it would be a nice feature for playing dvds mostly..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Gotcha. Just one more piece of hardware that I'll need to buy I guess, along with an external hard drive for all my music when I finally ditch my pc and most likely get a touchpad.
    Just thought it would be a nice feature for playing dvds mostly..
    Or you could move it all to 'the cloud'
    If we really had a very, VERY fast cloud connection, it would be practical to just have access to all sorts of media, instead of actually keeping a physical copy. Maybe in the future that's how it would go. We'll just buy access and everything's redundantly backed up nicely in a centralized location, and we'll never have a need for local storage space.

Same with transportation, clothing, etc.

Unless you really want to have physical (read: dvds, cds, bds, paper) versions lying around your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    If we really had a very, VERY fast cloud connection, it would be practical to just have access to all sorts of media, instead of actually keeping a physical copy. Maybe in the future that's how it would go. We'll just buy access and everything's redundantly backed up nicely in a centralized location, and we'll never have a need for local storage space.

Same with transportation, clothing, etc.

Unless you really want to have physical (read: dvds, cds, bds, paper) versions lying around your house.

Albeit, unintentially, you have just shown why cloud storage is not ideal in all cases. I control my physical media, but cloud storage is controlled by "the man"
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    Albeit, unintentially, you have just shown why cloud storage is not ideal in all cases. I control my physical media, but cloud storage is controlled by "the man"
    Not necessarily. I have all of my photos and videos in the cloud, but I have local copies on my home server. By having it in the cloud I can access it from anywhere, also it adds redundancy in case my server fails.

I could also put my music in the cloud, but I do not see the point as I can fit a large enough portion of my music collection on my devices and can use services like Pandora when that is not sufficient.

In a pinch I can access my DLNA/uPNP home server from anywhere. My home connection is sufficient for streaming music to my mobile devices or viewing pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It's actually already available, and it's called Bump. There's an app for that.
    if apples slogan is "theres an app for that" hpalms should be "its system wide." I like that universal search is now "just type...(duh)"
    Not necessarily. I have all of my photos and videos in the cloud, but I have local copies on my home server. By having it in the cloud I can access it from anywhere, also it adds redundancy in case my server fails.

I could also put my music in the cloud, but I do not see the point as I can fit a large enough portion of my music collection on my devices and can use services like Pandora when that is not sufficient.

In a pinch I can access my DLNA/uPNP home server from anywhere. My home connection is sufficient for streaming music to my mobile devices or viewing pictures.
    This is my point, cloud storage is best when it is used WITH physical media; there will always be a place for it.
    It's a paradigm shift: we used to think that we *need* to have email locally saved in our PCs. Then came hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. Now alot of people have their emails only in the cloud.

The same thing will happen to media.

What are offices and enterprises doing now with regards to your work files and other data? Consolidated in a server. One repository. One backup profile. You get your files from that server. Why? Because we don't need a bajillion versions strewn all over the place. You only update that one file and everyone's good.

With media it's basically the same way: everyone has the same songs, videos, movies...
    It's a paradigm shift: we used to think that we *need* to have email locally saved in our PCs. Then came hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. Now alot of people have their emails only in the cloud.

What are offices and enterprises doing now with regards to your work files and other data? Consolidated in a server. One repository. One backup profile. You get your files from that server. Why? Because we don't need a bajillion versions strewn all over the place. You only update that one file and everyone's good.

With media it's basically the same way: everyone has the same songs, videos, movies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post

The pricing plans and mobile bandwidth are just not there yet. It costs us pennies to read our email. It cost quarters to listen to songs, and dollars to watch movies over the mobile airwaves. Local storage will be a necessity for quite a while, IMO
    True. That was the assumption anyway, having a very very fast cloud connection, ubiquitous and cheap (read: free). The providers will have to subsidize this someday someway.

We just lost 1TB of media here at home, mostly TV shows and other downloadable content. This happened twice now, mostly due to torrents crashing the hard drive. Now we're thinking if we should download them again, or just move on. Had these been in the cloud, with at least a LAN-quality connection..
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I think you're painting this with too broad a brush. TTS is an added feature for convenience. It does not bring something to either the new palm phone or the Touchpad that isn't already accessible to them individually.

Playbook currently needs a tethered BB to access 'live' PIM data. So the Playbook needs help accessing the same content the phone has.

The difference here is the HP Touchpad can work independently of the Pre3/Veer and view all the same memos/calendars/facebooks/websites/contacts/emails as the phone lines. The RIM playbook needs the BB for the functionality the phone currently has. One shares access to the same services, the other allows access. While it may not seem to be a monumental difference, in essence the Playbook is handcuffed out of the box, while the Touchpad would not be in this example.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast