Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I think PCworld is making sense with these 5 differences between the actual iPad and the new HP TouchPad. 5 reasons why I will wait for the TouchPad and you?

Notifications

HP's TouchPad has a dedicated bar at the top of the screen for notifications, using icons to inform you of incoming text messages or e-mails. Tapping these icons brings up a small pop-up, allowing you to sort through messages without leaving the current app.

The iPad's notifications, by comparison, are crude pop-ups that interrupt whatever you're doing.
    I suspect Apple is developing a better notifications system, especially since Dellinger is working on the UI: Palm Guru Returns to Apple :: AppAdvice

Resizable Keyboard, With Numbers

The virtual keyboard on HP's TouchPad comes in four sizes, letting you find the right balance between comfort and screen real estate.

And unlike the iPad, which makes you switch to a different set of keys for numbers, the TouchPad's keyboard includes number keys above the main group of letters.
    While I do like this. I don't really see it as a killer feature and doubt people would delay purchase for a keyboard. Also, Android has everyone beat in this arena as you can install a variety of keyboards. Swype FTW!

Phone Pairing

If you've got an HP Pre 3 or Veer smartphone, you can tap it against the TouchPad to transfer a website, text message, phone call, document or song from one device to the other. You can take or make calls on the TouchPad via Bluetooth with a nearby WebOS phone and view your phone's text messages on the big screen.
    This is only valid if you have a Veer or Pre3. Two phones that are not out yet.

Social Photos

On the iPad, your photo gallery is an island of locally stored images that can only be shared with the outside world through e-mail.

The TouchPad's photo application is more social, incorporating pictures from Facebook -- including comments - along with Snapfish and Photobucket. You can use the built-in photo app to upload locally stored photos to social networks as well.
    This is cool, but there are many apps on the iPad that do the same type of thing. It's not integrated into the OS, but it is doable.

"Just Type"

The "Just Type" feature of WebOS is similar to the iPad's universal search bar, letting you search by text through apps, contacts or the Web.

But HP's version goes a step further by letting you crank out e-mails and status updates without ever entering an individual app.
    Just Type is pretty sweet, although I think the name is stupid. I love it on my Pre2. That being said it is not a sexy feature that is going to attract buyers. It is a great feature to show off when you are using your device next to an iPhone or Android user. Perhaps word of mouth will spread the news about it, but since so few people have Palm phones, probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Notifications

HP's TouchPad has a dedicated bar at the top of the screen for notifications, using icons to inform you of incoming text messages or e-mails. Tapping these icons brings up a small pop-up, allowing you to sort through messages without leaving the current app.

The iPad's notifications, by comparison, are crude pop-ups that interrupt whatever you're doing.
    Completely agree! Notifications on the iPad are implemented in the most annoying way possible.

Resizable Keyboard, With Numbers

The virtual keyboard on HP's TouchPad comes in four sizes, letting you find the right balance between comfort and screen real estate.

And unlike the iPad, which makes you switch to a different set of keys for numbers, the TouchPad's keyboard includes number keys above the main group of letters.
    While I don't see resizing the keyboard as important, (it's already too small), the numeric row at the top just makes a lot of sense.

Phone Pairing

If you've got an HP Pre 3 or Veer smartphone, you can tap it against the TouchPad to transfer a website, text message, phone call, document or song from one device to the other. You can take or make calls on the TouchPad via Bluetooth with a nearby WebOS phone and view your phone's text messages on the big screen.
    Until this has some more use other than exchanging URLs, it is just a gimmick. Bump is an iOS app that does this sort of thing very well, and that's just a gimmick, too.

Social Photos

On the iPad, your photo gallery is an island of locally stored images that can only be shared with the outside world through e-mail.

The TouchPad's photo application is more social, incorporating pictures from Facebook -- including comments - along with Snapfish and Photobucket. You can use the built-in photo app to upload locally stored photos to social networks as well.
    Photos on an iPad are not an island. That is just not true. Almost every app you can think of has a hook into your photo library. True, you do not see those apps in the Photo app. But when you are in any app that needs to use a photo, your library is available without leaving the app. The implementation is a matter of taste. The functionality is most certainly there.

"Just Type"

The "Just Type" feature of WebOS is similar to the iPad's universal search bar, letting you search by text through apps, contacts or the Web.

But HP's version goes a step further by letting you crank out e-mails and status updates without ever entering an individual app.
    Just Type is great, and is worth ripping off.
    Some nice advantages indeed, but one I had hoped to see and was rumored before the announcement (even saw an article on PC about it) was tabbed browsing. I would really prefer to have tabbed browsing on a 10-inch screen especially since there are no quick advanced gestures for going from one card to another. It's annoying to have to continually press a button and navigate to another card just to look at another website.

I thought this would be a slam dunk launch advantage for the TouchPad, but have seen no mention of it since.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    This is only valid if you have a Veer or Pre3. Two phones that are not out yet.
    Whew... that is good, because the TouchPad isn't out yet either. ;-)

Seriously though, I am curious how the two devices communicate. There don't appear to be any hardware technology differences that would facilitate a different type of communication than what all of the previous Palm webOS devices have.

So my guess is that it is a software thing, using BT or proximity sensors or some combination of the two. And since Pre 2 should get all the software bumps the Veer and Pre 3 will get (speculation on my part), it should be able to do this as well.

Although I don't recall this actually being listed as a feature for the Veer while at the presentation. Could have changed though...
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Whew... that is good, because the TouchPad isn't out yet either. ;-)

So my guess is that it is a software thing, using BT or proximity sensors or some combination of the two. And since Pre 2 should get all the software bumps the Veer and Pre 3 will get (speculation on my part), it should be able to do this as well.
    Well the point is for someone to use the feature they need to buy a new phone and new tablet.

I'm pretty sure I read that the Pre2 will not have touch-to-share, but I guess everything is rumor at this point.

I thought maybe the new phones would use NFC for touch-to-share. It seems it would be easier to use than bluetooth. I also thought it would be nice to have NFC for contactless payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    Well the point is for someone to use the feature they need to buy a new phone and new tablet.

I'm pretty sure I read that the Pre2 will not have touch-to-share, but I guess everything is rumor at this point.

I thought maybe the new phones would use NFC for touch-to-share. It seems it would be easier to use than bluetooth. I also thought it would be nice to have NFC for contactless payments.
    Well, if NFC is used then it isn't being published in the spec sheets yet, but will be apparent when the FCC filing for the Pre 3 or TouchPad is public.

If it isn't used then I don't see why Pre 2 and Veer wouldn't be able to do it, unless they just don't push the necessary software to those devices. And if that ends up being the case... it'll be a new homebrew challenge.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well, if NFC is used then it isn't being published in the spec sheets yet, but will be apparent when the FCC filing for the Pre 3 or TouchPad is public.

If it isn't used then I don't see why Pre 2 and Veer wouldn't be able to do it, unless they just don't push the necessary software to those devices. And if that ends up being the case... it'll be a new homebrew challenge.
    I've looked into this and as far as I can see it's bluetooth but oddly the spec says that you need wireless connectivity to make this work (plus both devices must be logged into the same profile).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've looked into this and as far as I can see it's bluetooth but oddly the spec says that you need wireless connectivity to make this work (plus both devices must be logged into the same profile).
    The profile thing is a biggie, I haven't seen anything yet that indicates they have that figured out, either publicly or privately. If you've followed any other discussions on that, you will know that there are a lot of things that will have to take place before they could roll that out. Every dev with an app in the app catalog would know about it.
    The profile thing is a biggie, I haven't seen anything yet that indicates they have that figured out, either publicly or privately. If you've followed any other discussions on that, you will know that there are a lot of things that will have to take place before they could roll that out. Every dev with an app in the app catalog would know about it.
    I believe I'm missing your point. Profile sharing is a Huge plus in my book!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Im just waiting for the HP Package Deal, Laptop/Tablet/Pre3 all for the low price of __________
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    When the TouchPad finally hits the market, it will have to compete with iPad2.
    So they have to compare TouchPad with iPad2,
    which is not possible because no one knows, what the features of the iPad2 will be.
    Sure we do. Just look at iPad one, iteratively "spec-bump" the major components and voila! iPad2. Things we know...

-Design change from rounded "3GS style" to flat "iP4" style
    -Same 1024 x 768
    -1.3mp front cam
    -A5 processor (likely 1.2-1.4ghz, possibly a DC chip)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I believe I'm missing your point. Profile sharing is a Huge plus in my book!

I agree completely. It is important. They just haven't shared how its going to work yet.

However, the TTS demo we see is happening between two devices that are using the same profile. We just need someone to tell us exactly what changes there are in the profile that makes it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Some nice advantages indeed, but one I had hoped to see and was rumored before the announcement (even saw an article on PC about it) was tabbed browsing. I would really prefer to have tabbed browsing on a 10-inch screen especially since there are no quick advanced gestures for going from one card to another. It's annoying to have to continually press a button and navigate to another card just to look at another website.

I thought this would be a slam dunk launch advantage for the TouchPad, but have seen no mention of it since.
    Yes please! As much as I like having multiple browser cards and being able to stack them... tabbed browsing is still what I want the most. Seems so obvious.

Are any of the other tablet/pad makers doing tabbed browsing? Maybe it's a limitation of webkit? I sure hope the homebrewers can figure out how to add this with a patch or other bit of genius...
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Can someone explain to me how I would use tap-to-share in real life unless I was on a GSM network?

Why would I transfer a call to my tablet? I could see transferring a website to my tablet, but why would I be on the phone looking at the website in the first place?

Say someone texted me the website, then I could see this. Probably a rare use case, but makes sense.
    I don't understand your question... I look at websites on my phone all the time. I'm typing this post from my phone. If I get home and want to pick up where I left off, I could pick up where I left of on my touchpad.

and the data transfers won't be limitedt to urls. In the demonstration, it was noted that it can support other data types.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yes please! As much as I like having multiple browser cards and being able to stack them... tabbed browsing is still what I want the most. Seems so obvious.

Are any of the other tablet/pad makers doing tabbed browsing? Maybe it's a limitation of webkit? I sure hope the homebrewers can figure out how to add this with a patch or other bit of genius...
    It's standard in Honeycomb, and it's also a centerpiece of the (apparently atrocious, according to reviews) Laptop and Webtop modes on the Motorola Atrix since it runs desktop Firefox 3.6. But any Android handset or tablet can have it with Dolphin or Dolphin Mini browsers (my favorite mobile browser on any platform today, including iOS, standard Android, WebOS...I've used them all extensively).

This was apparently, at least, considered. I hope it makes it back in by launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    There are browsers on Android tablets and the iPad that do tabbed browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by espc31 View Post
    Problem is Apple will have these 5 things plugged up before the touchpad even comes out. 4 months is a long time in the techworld.
    Yeah, they got cut and paste and multi-tasking out lickety split.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Sure we do. Just look at iPad one, iteratively "spec-bump" the major components and voila! iPad2. Things we know...

-Design change from rounded "3GS style" to flat "iP4" style
    -Same 1024 x 768
    -1.3mp front cam
    -A5 processor (likely 1.2-1.4ghz, possibly a DC chip)
    Just out of curiosity, does both the Playbook and the Xoom have IPS oleophobic screens?
    I so want the touchpad but have decided to get a like new ipad. The resale value is great on apple products and thus i should be able to make most of my money back. I really wanted a tablet for school and a random date in the summer doesnt help :/ but now i can truly evaluate the iPad and know what to expect from a tablet and where touchpad is better
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast