1.    #1  
    See: Hitachi's 4.5-inch IPS display has 1280 x 720 res, 1,100:1 contrast, plans for mass production in October -- Engadget

"Yo, Apple, you know that Retina Display you're so proud of? Old news. Hitachi Displays has just announced a 4.5-inch IPS LCD panel that fits 1280 x 720 pixels within its frame, accounting for an eye-watering 329dpi density. That's higher than you can get on the iPhone 4, but the fun doesn't stop there. Hitachi's new goodness also promises an 1,100:1 contrast ratio and 500 nits of brightness coming from an LED backlight. This precious new slice of technology is predictably all geared to land in your future smartphone of choice and we're told mass production is set to begin in October of this year. That basically means CES 2012 is going to be filthy with handsets offering full 720p resolution -- we can't wait."

720p displays will be the standard for high-end smartphones. This display has a 329ppi pixel density.

As noted by MobileCrunch:

Hitachi subsidiary Hitachi Displays yesterday announced [JP] that it has developed a new LCD display for smartphones whose quality reaches the “limit of what is discernible to the human eye”. And a look at the spec sheet reveals that big H is indeed prepping quite a display. Here are the main specs:

■ 4.5-inch IPS LCD (16:9)
    ■ 720 x 1,280 resolution
    ■ 329ppi pixel density
    ■ LED backlight
    ■ 500cd/m2 brightness
    ■ 1,100:1 contrast ratio

By way of comparison: the iPhone 4′s Retina display features 960640 resolution, 326 ppi pixel density and a 800:1 contrast ratio (at 3.5 inches).

Hitachi currently plans to mass-produce the display starting October this year. The company is also expecting cell phone makers to use it for touchscreen and 3D-enabled handsets. SID 2011 attendees can have a look at the display in May this year.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/11/2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Damn it HP. Do it!!!

And no, I don't care if it's not practical.
    Last edited by Croathlete; 02/11/2011 at 11:06 AM.
    this thing seems great. Now if only my next webOS device has it.
    looks like the Hummer of phones. pass.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    looks like the Hummer of phones. pass.
    The EVO has enough wasted space at the top that this would fit onto an EVO size phone. Because it is a thinner display, the phone could be a little thinner as well.

The EVO takes up less volume than a Pre (6.2 cubic inches vs. 6.4 cubic inches).

I wouldn't call the Pre the Hummer of phones.
    I wish H/P would license webOS to motorola or HTC
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7.    #7  
    HP and Palm do not make phones and to the best of my knowledge never have. A couple of the Treo's were actually made by HTC.

Motorola stopped making phones a decade ago.

HP will use second tier manufacturers just like Palm did with the Pre. That is largely what went wrong with the Pre.

Apple on the other hand uses a second tier company, Foxconn, with great success. Except for the 14 workers who have committed suicide at that plant so far due to the labor conditions. To try to slow the jumping off the roofs they have installed large nets. No lie.
    I think that might be a little to big for me, but I know many will LOVE it.

Although, you better hope your os is ALWAYS using the gpu, cause that i'll drive a mobile cpu insane.