Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1.    #1  
    Look, a lot of times when times are changing people are slow to correct problems, we get that. In the military, they say that your changing, but "still trying to win the last war."

    I get it that Android has taken a ***** out of Apples armor by saturating the market with phones... "We've got slabs, we've got slider, we've got every thing hear!"

    But, for the haters I think your still fight the last war to a certain degree. Sure, Android is just tarting to make progress against Apple and that battle is still waging. But that may not be the only way to do so. Sure, that is what the latest startegy is, but HP has obviously decided NOT to go that way.

    But consider this, if Android was first and Apple was teh new guy with their Iphone, a lot fo the arguments being made against HP could be made against Apple in that hypothetical:

    There is only one form, It has no keyboard, its got less speed than the Atrix... what ever.

    Sure, HP has GOT to get traction, but they are also trying not to fight the last war, that is being WON by APPLE with only ONE... COUNT IT ONE PHONE.

    People need to think about what HP is doing that no one has done, and in that you can evaluate if it is a workable startegy. TO me, having a nice PAD, clouc integration, tap to share and forwarding texts calls, PC/printer scale..... is a pretty good battle plan. Sure, its a "NEW" plan, and yet to be proven. But why is no one acknowleding and seem NOT to be discussing that?

    ITs not going to be fast, but it could work to me. Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    In warfare discussion,

    HP is trying to regain the beachhead that was lost a year ago. Cannot fight a war without getting that beachhead
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  3. #3  
    Hmmm... Beachhead...
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #4  
    Warfare analogies..hum...



    "HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn't have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship," he promises, saying the products launched on 9 February will be on sale just a few weeks later.

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    In warfare discussion,

    HP is trying to regain the beachhead that was lost a year ago. Cannot fight a war without getting that beachhead
    There will probably never be another large amphibious assault in modern warfare. People will not tolerate the inevitable large causality numbers. To run with the analogy, HP may be right to eschew the old mindset and not try to gain a beachhead. This may by a flanking maneuver.
    Last edited by briwest; 02/11/2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
  6. #6  
    I think HP might be losing more battles than it's winning, but that doesn't mean they lost the war.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  7.    #7  
    Well, that is kind of my point. When they talked about shipping 120 pc's per minute and their scale, will that work to getting them traction on their pad's, webos, phones?

    Sure, its all conjecture now, but they've laid out their battle plan.

    And while its not the same as Android (and the FAIL is dominating the discussion because theirs is the freshest plan) and people I guess anticipated something similar, but I am curious how people feel about the unique aspect of the plan they laid out.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    In warfare discussion,

    HP is trying to regain the beachhead that was lost a year ago. Cannot fight a war without getting that beachhead
    Beach head might be optional with complete air superiority and long range weapons. Just sayin
  9. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Warfare analogies..hum...
    Good one. This 'Minister of Truth' is a perfect representation of HP PRPRPR.
  10. #10  
    Are they fighting the last war or are they jumping up and down screaming "this was a disaster last time you tried it and you're doing the same damn thing again!!!"
    Last edited by treo2die4; 02/11/2011 at 07:28 PM.
  11. #11  
    It's not important to me who wins the "war" I just care about competition and a good product, wherever that may come from. If iOS or Android's user experience matched webOS, I wouldn't even be in these forums because I wouldn't give a crud.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think it's already been tried in the PC business in the past - it's called pre-installed crapware. What else would you call pre-installing something that 95% of your users aren't interested in? What features does this new software have for the average PC user that will interest them?
    You're ignoring one of the obvious successes of "pre-installed" software - Internet Explorer.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It's not important to me who wins the "war" I just care about competition and a good product, wherever that may come from. If iOS or Android's user experience matched webOS, I wouldn't even be in these forums because I wouldn't give a crud.
    I agree, but the people who are disappointed have said the product needs traction to get developers and apps...... and they are right. The UI and OS are great, and I'm with you, but there are still apps it needs, and apps to be invented it will need also.

    Will this plan attract developers/apps? they mentioned in the HP built apps, shazam, Hulu... HP does need scale to get that cool stuff. Will this plan work in doing so?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    Are they fighting the last war or are they jumping up and down screaming "this was a disaster last time you tired it and you're doing the same damn thing again!!!"
    Well last time, webos was without apps, the screen was smaller than the competition, they did not have a pad, it was underpowered (too many card error)........ they did not show innovation with profile/cloud integration, touch to share, forward txts/callls.... this is different, and while the form is the same, the phone is pretty different also. That is too many changes, including ideas other havent come up with) to call it "the same plan."
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think it's already been tried in the PC business in the past - it's called pre-installed crapware. What else would you call pre-installing something that 95% of your users aren't interested in? What features does this new software have for the average PC user that will interest them?
    Sure, but did those attempts have cloud integration and possibly touch to share?

    Its not that PC can't do the stuff, its how it integrates with your phone/pad that to me has not been tried.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Warfare analogies..hum...

    XD I forgot all about this guy.

    Good times...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Look, a lot of times when times are changing people are slow to correct problems, we get that. In the military, they say that your changing, but "still trying to win the last war."

    I get it that Android has taken a ***** out of Apples armor by saturating the market with phones... "We've got slabs, we've got slider, we've got every thing hear!"

    But, for the haters I think your still fight the last war to a certain degree. Sure, Android is just tarting to make progress against Apple and that battle is still waging. But that may not be the only way to do so. Sure, that is what the latest startegy is, but HP has obviously decided NOT to go that way.

    But consider this, if Android was first and Apple was teh new guy with their Iphone, a lot fo the arguments being made against HP could be made against Apple in that hypothetical:

    There is only one form, It has no keyboard, its got less speed than the Atrix... what ever.

    Sure, HP has GOT to get traction, but they are also trying not to fight the last war, that is being WON by APPLE with only ONE... COUNT IT ONE PHONE.

    People need to think about what HP is doing that no one has done, and in that you can evaluate if it is a workable startegy. TO me, having a nice PAD, clouc integration, tap to share and forwarding texts calls, PC/printer scale..... is a pretty good battle plan. Sure, its a "NEW" plan, and yet to be proven. But why is no one acknowleding and seem NOT to be discussing that?

    ITs not going to be fast, but it could work to me. Thoughts?
    First of all, Thanks for coming out and stating this so clearly. I've been trying to get others to understand this. If you haven't, I think you should really go over and read the Engadget Interview with Ruby and HP peoples. One of the things I really like its the part near the end were he talks about his thoughts of apps and were they sit. He sees them as important but as patches to the missing features in an OS. Pay attention to when he is talking about Skype...
    The Engadget Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Steven McArthur talk webOS on PCs, 'Music Synergy,' competition, and more -- Engadget
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think HP might be losing more battles than it's winning, but that doesn't mean they lost the war.
    Read his post more carefully. HP is trying not to fight the War that Apple is fighting along with Android and the rest of the market.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  19. #19  
    let me respond for all the nay sayers:

    MUST HAVE 4", KEYBOARDLESS, SLAB, BRICK FONE ON SPRINT OR I'M LEAVING!!!1!!!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Well last time, webos was without apps, the screen was smaller than the competition, they did not have a pad, it was underpowered (too many card error)........ they did not show innovation with profile/cloud integration, touch to share, forward txts/callls.... this is different, and while the form is the same, the phone is pretty different also. That is too many changes, including ideas other havent come up with) to call it "the same plan."
    You missed the point of my post entirely. Last time they announced and then didn't ship for several months. Last time they announced before the operating system was ready to release and due to pressure ended up releasing more quickly than they should have.

    It's like deja vu all over again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions