Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    So... in what analysts are calling a "huge win for Microsoft, Nokia and Microsoft entered into an alliance that means that Windows Phone 7 will be their primary smartphone platform.

Nokia is described as the "world's largest mobile manufacturer", but has struggled in the profitable smartphone segment, especially in the US where its Symbian-based N8 barely got notice.

Couple thoughts -
    How do the other windows 7 partners (samsung, LG, HTC and Dell) fell about this? All of them also make android devices as well...

If there are any Symbian OS enthusiasts out there, this is probably a major bummer.

Honestly I don't think this will make much difference in the US. It might overseas.
    True Symbian is a little known OS in the US, however MS is not. Windows phone 7 running on Nokia devices will be similar to Windows phone 7 running on Samsung, or HTC, meaning a vendor outside the US will make the device. The difference here is it will not be running some foreign OS but a born in the USA OS.
    Honestly...i feel like the people **** hurt about this are akin to the people **** hurt about PalmOS going away.

They are holding on to something that just can't keep up in the industry in terms of innovation and ease of use. Meego is also just too far behind and they can't give Google and Apple another year to maybe get the first version to market. With WP7 they now have an ecosystem (stronger in the US, but i'm sure MS saw this as a way to have a stronger Zune presence in Europe) and it sounds like they are more than just an OEM partner...they sound like they might be getting billed as the premiere WP7 manufacturer.
    Most of these people just didn't get their way so they are throwing a temper tantrum . That's it ! Period.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Period.

I know it does sound like everyone's having theirs right now

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I know it does sound like everyone's having theirs right now

If I had a thanks button right now I would use it lol because that is about right !! Ltm lt,

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    all the palm people that went to nokia after HP bought Palm... Must be wishing they had stayed with Palm
    Who went to nokia after Palm (in america?)
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    The Nokiasaurus has jumped in the pool with the MicroSharks. The dinosaur may survive, but only the sharks can win. Ask IBM, Palm, almost *any* company MS have had similar alliances with.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I think overall this will lead to good things. Nokia is solid at hardware and microsoft is pretty good at software. It is going to be an interesting year!
    Nokia had a chance to buy Palm as well fyi. I'm glad Palm ended up with HP!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    everything i've heard is that the reason nokia struggles in the u.s. is because as a company they don't like dealing with carrier demands. If true i'm not sure exactly how this helps. Personally i haven't seen a nokia smartphone in the u.s. ever. not at a store or in public use. regardless it's probably won't hurt nokia.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I think that this is a great deal for Nokia and the Vole. Nokia might actually sell something in the US now...

Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    How do the other windows 7 partners (samsung, LG, HTC and Dell) fell about this?
    They are probably a little ****ed, because Microsoft was very strict with them on customization. If Microsoft didn't tell them about it beforehand and offer them the same arrangement, I don't think that they will bother with Windows Phone 7 anymore. Their devices haven't sold that well.

Edit: at the censorship (my word wasn't bad).
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    I think that this is a great deal for Nokia and the Vole. Nokia might actually sell something in the US now...

They are probably a little ****ed, because Microsoft was very strict with them on customization. If Microsoft didn't tell them about it beforehand and offer them the same arrangement, I don't think that they will bother with Windows Phone 7 anymore. Their devices haven't sold that well.

Edit: at the censorship (my word wasn't bad).
    True on the weak sales.

New sales figures show Windows Phone 7 sales go from bad to worse - Computerworld Blogs

Seems even with half a dozen handset manufacturers building the whole gamut of devices, they aren't getting much traction. (There aren't on the "largest" network yet due to no cdma units being releases though, and that is definitely hurting them)
    It saddens me a little to see Nokia joining up with MS. I would have preferred to see them taking Android, forking it and pumping their huge r&d budgets into their own version of the OS. They have the expertise to develop any parts the Google did not open source.

On the other hand any company that has maintained 45% of all phones sold in the world for the length of time they have deserve a slap down for not innovating quicker. The had the budget, they just appear to have ****ed it against the wall maintaining too many different things instead of focusing on getting one OS to do the job.

Hardware wise, I think they have had some great phones over the years. I have an E72 for work and as a work phone it is pretty solid. I have a qwerty keyboard, I have exchange access, a web browser, it is light and stylish. More importantly for me it has a battery that lasts 7 days without turning it off at night, and with moderate use i.e a few hours calls per week.

I have not seen the pixi, but I would be interested in someone commenting on how much smaller the screen on an E72 is than a pixi as I think webos on a slightly larger E72 would have made quite a nice phone.
    It's a desperate move by 2 dinosaurs to avoid extinction.

Both companies are big and used to dominate their territory.
    Both are post-peak and see the world change around them.

Nokia has been confused for years. Let's share Symbian, let's adapt Symbian, also let's try this new Maemo thing, no even better let's join forces with Intel and change it into Meego, perhaps Android? Now let's do W7.

Nokia should have made a decision years ago and just finished implementing any strategy instead of headlessly switching to even greener pastures.

And W7 ain't that green. MS ditched their failing old Mobile Windows platform for this - admittedly gutsy and relatively well done - new WP7 platform. It's not a big success so far.
    But MS has no credible Tablet strategy yet. They cling to the illusion that W7 could be used for that.

So Nokia switches strategy again (thanks to their new CEO - fresh from MS) and bets on an unproven new platform - again. While MS is equally desperate to stay relevant and needs a successful mobile product for that.

I think an outright merger might have made more sense. With this cooperation agreement Nokia clings to a illusion of independence. But if W7 fails, Nokia will fail with it. And if W7 gets successful - Nokia will depend on it and effectively be the mobile hardware arm for MS anyway.

Short term MS other partners will rethink their use of W7. They just got relegated to 2nd class citizens. They'll be more hesitant to invest into the platform - which will further reduce WP7 chances of success.

Meanwhile this might turn out to be good news for HPalm. Carriers want competition amongst manufacturers. Android and IPhone dominating is a problem for negotiations. Having a couple more contenders keeps Apple and Google from getting too uppity. A credible range of devices this year from HP might get a warm welcome from carriers who want te manufacturers compliant in negotiations.
    MS/Nokia won't get much out before 2012 I guess. Elop said as much already.
    Last edited by tholap; 02/13/2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5