Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Analysts are calling it a "huge win for Microsoft, Nokia and Microsoft entered into an alliance that means that Windows Phone 7 will be their primary smartphone platform.

Nokia is described as the "world's largest mobile manufacturer", but has struggled in the profitable smartphone segment, especially in the US where its Symbian-based N8 barely got notice.

Couple thoughts -
    How do the other windows 7 partners (samsung, LG, HTC and Dell) fell about this? All of them also make android devices as well...

If there are any Symbian OS enthusiasts out there, this is probably a major bummer.

Honestly I don't think this will make much difference in the US. It might overseas.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    They won't even ship a device until 2012! Here we are complaining about waiting 3 months!
    We complain about lack of support for a few devices that did sell very well, and app support etc, but Nokia just killed everything and are telling their users to wait over a year!
    I think this move is a huge opportunity for HP, if they can reach the enterprise before MS/Nokia and RIM it will be huge.
    Its not like there aren't windows phones in the market already.
    Nokia shipped over 120 million Symbian phones in 2010. Now they are stating that Symbian is abondoned but Windows 7 phones will not be out until 2012. That's a pretty big 12-month hole.

How many Symbian phones do you think they will sell in 2011 with buyers knowing that the platform "is burning".

See: Nokia CEO Stephen Elop: Nokia, our platform is burning.

For the latest sale figures see: Google’s Android becomes the world’s leading smart phone platform (Canalys research release: r2011013)
    Lets be real, most of those symbian phones aren't smartphones. There is such a small minority of Nokia faithfuls, i feel the rest just buy it because its what they happen to know.

To them, they won't even care what OS its running, they just want a cheap nokia phone.
    ..and it worked out pretty well for Mac OSX haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    They won't even ship a device until 2012! Here we are complaining about waiting 3 months!
    We complain about lack of support for a few devices that did sell very well, and app support etc, but Nokia just killed everything and are telling their users to wait over a year!
    I think this move is a huge opportunity for HP, if they can reach the enterprise before MS/Nokia and RIM it will be huge.
    LOL. If your theory is true, this is a huge opportunity for iOS and Android, not HP. HP is not even considered as contender in this market. He announced the phone which is not going to available til this summer. And according to the developers who attend the announcement, webOS on Palm3 is far from complete. I think Pre 3 will be released late summer.
    It's interesting how the market responsed to Nokia adopting WP7. It's pretty much the polar opposite of how the tech pundits feel about it. Nokia's down a staggering 14% at today's close.

Oh yeah, Engadget got their hands on Nokia WP7 concept art.

I like it. Tapered backs are dope.
    Last edited by nappy; 02/11/2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Well any big change within a company because of bad news will undoubtedly lower stock prices. I'm sure that was expected. Now if they had new products out and ready to ship when they annouced it it would probably be a bit different.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's interesting how the market responsed to Nokia adopting WP7. It's pretty much the polar opposite of how the tech pundits feel about it. Nokia's down a staggering 14% at today's close.

Oh yeah, Engadget got their hands on Nokia WP7 concept art.

I like it. Tapered backs are dope.
    That design is sick. Reminds me of Batman for some reason. I've always loved Nokia hardware; coupled with WP7, which is a sexy OS that needs more lovin', this [could be] something big.
    I'm glad they killed Symbian, but I did like Maemo when I used it, so I'm a little disappointed to hear that they're pretty much going to kill off Meego.

Also, I'm surprised to not see one of their big Carl Zeiss camera lenses on the back of that concept.

I'd think it would be a HUGE differentiating point to have a real camera on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That design is sick. Reminds me of Batman for some reason. I've always loved Nokia hardware; coupled with WP7, which is a sexy OS that needs more lovin', this [could be] something big.
    I love it too. I think that will be my next phone. I was very intrigued by WP7 and now that phone is just sick. I can't wait.