1.    #1  
    I signed up for Sprint in March of last year. I'm eligible for the 1 year upgrade for the last month that Sprint offers it before the cheap data plan switches to a 22-month upgrade cycle. I have the Sprint Pixi, the weakest piece of hardware running WebOS right now, and I LOVE it. So keep that in mind. I was considering holding off on upgrading to see if the Pixi 2 might come along, before Sprint announced that I'd lose my upgrade in April. I am still thinking of leaving my Pixi activated and just cashing in the upgrade. I love my Pixi because of all the reasons you're not supposed to, I have colorful touchstone covers, its small and cute, and I love the candybar smart phone. With the Veer announcement I'm worried I'll lose my favorite combination of form factor/OS.

So, what fancy new phone available on Sprint should I upgrade to, considering my love for not only WebOS but also the Pixi style and form factor?
    Remember, if your upgrade involves a rebate, the involved phone has to be active on a line for 30 days to get it.

Otherwise, I'd say get a good, high end phone, sell it for a good price and then put the money towards whatever the next phone is that catches your fancy.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Really your only choices in keeping with the bar/keyoard form factor are either a BlackBerry or a WM6.5 device like the Samsung Intrepid or Motorola ES400S. Either OS is going to be a shock compared to what you're used to with WebOS. My strategy would be to upgrade to something that everyone else wants (EVO), activate it for the required 30 days, then go online and swap your ESN back to the Pixi and sell the EVO. Or you might even decide you like the EVO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #4  
    The EVO data plan is $10 more a month, I'd be worried about being locked into the 4G add-on if I go back to my Pixi.
  5.    #5  
    If I did try and sell an EVO, is there anyway to put an unlocked Pixi 2 on Sprint? Maybe I could afford that with the sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by sokablamo View Post
    The EVO data plan is $10 more a month, I'd be worried about being locked into the 4G add-on if I go back to my Pixi.
    That $10 charge is with any smartphone that is activated. 3G or 4G. So it really doesn't matter now.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    If I did try and sell an EVO, is there anyway to put an unlocked Pixi 2 on Sprint? Maybe I could afford that with the sale.
    No such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. Also no such thing as a Pixi 2.

If Sprint is going to charge you the extra $10 regardless of what phone you get, you may just want to skip the upgrade and keep your old plan.

However...

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...79#post2865879
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8.    #8  
    As to the $10, I know for a fact that on lesser smartphones, such as my Pixi, the charge is not attached. On my bill it says "Premium Data: $0". I would like to keep it that way.
  9.    #9  
    As to the $10, I know for a fact that on lesser smartphones, such as my Pixi, the charge is not attached. On my bill it says "Premium Data: $0". I would like to keep it that way. I don't know if other phones since the EVO have the $10 premium added, but I don't see it as something worth an extra $120 a year. I don't use a lot of video or games and don't anticipate that changing even if I got a beastlier phone, I use my phone mostly for music, email, occasional browsing, texting, facebook, and maps. The features I most covet on WebOS are pretty much exclusive to it, the notification system and Synergy, particularly with facebook. Basically, I think I'm talking myself into just getting a backup Pixi or just forgoing locking into a new contract.

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It’s not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices. These features will give you capabilities that have previously never been available on a wireless device and we think they provide a premium experience. (Remember, this is the world’s first 3G/4G Android phone.)
    blog.laptopmag.com/sprint-clarifies-required-10-premium-data-charge-on-evo-4g
    As to the $10, I know for a fact that on lesser smartphones, such as my Pixi, the charge is not attached. On my bill it says "Premium Data: $0". I would like to keep it that way.
    Sadly... that's not really relevant:

Plans: What's there to know about the $10 Smartphone Premium Data Add-on?

{as of 1/30/11}
    How is the $10 Premium Data add-on applied?

The $10 Premium Data add-on applies to:

•New activations of both CDMA (Sprint) and iDEN (Nextel) smartphones
    •Upgrades/same-phone-replacements and ESN swaps (reactivations) NOT covered by Service & Repair, Advanced Exchange or TEP replacement
    •The $10 Premium Data add-on will apply at the subscription level, not at the account level. If one line on the account upgrades to a smartphone, it will be the only line with the $10 applied.

Is the $10 Premium Data add-on applicable to all customer types?

The $10 Premium Data add-on is applicable to:

•Consumer
    •Individual Liable (IL) accounts, including Everything Plus customers and those receiving a corporate discount through their employer
    •Corporate Liable (CL) accounts (see exceptions below)
    •Excludes accounts that have contractual terms and conditions exempting the charge

Who does not have to pay the $10 Premium Data add-on?

•Existing customers with a smartphone will not have to pay the $10 Premium Data add-on; their existing rate plan (without the charge) will remain the same until they upgrade, perform an ESN swap or activate a new smartphone.
    •A TEP, Service & Repair or Advanced Exchange scenario where a smartphone is provided as a warranty or insurance replacement does not qualify as a swap, i.e., $10 Premium Data add-on is not required.
    •Corporate-liable accounts tied to a Corporate ID (under contract) are not impacted until contracts are renewed.
    Essentially - if you change your phone for any non-warranty or insurance replacement; you're paying it.