Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    @Rockbeast

I hear what you're saying but here are a few things to keep in mind (so that the post you responded to is kept in perspective).

1. I didn't say all their products are solid 100% of the time.
    2. The iPhone has always been pretty solid but people forgot that it was not just a phone. It was basically a 3-in-1 device. The "phone" part of it needed some work, but the thing was still a solid ipod and internet device. The build was pretty darn good as well.
    3. I wasn't implying anything good or bad about webOS with my comment. It was more to say "Hey, it's not just Apple marketing that works, their products do as well."
    4. This one's personal, but for me, there is a huge difference in waiting for something to be perfected vs getting a product that works. For me, the Pre was too much of a failure. I tried to like it but after going through 12 devices on a 4-line plan in less than a year, it was too much to take.
    My acid test criteria for a smart phone, if buying one today (in order):

1. Small footprint, like the Pixi or Veer.
    2. Battery life.

Everything else pales in comparison.

I'm done with bricks...I want my phone to be an afterthought, I don't even want to notice I have it in my pocket. I would rather ******* on an electric fence while grooming my nose hairs with an ice pick than carry a case on my belt. And I don't want it going dead on me before I head home to put it on my touchstone. Carry around extra batteries...are you kidding me?

I'm tired of hoooring myself out to inconvenience just so I can have the neatest gadget. This coming from a guy who bought a Treo on Day One, my priorities have changed.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeks1958 View Post

2. Battery life.

I'm done with bricks...I want my phone to be an afterthought, I don't even want to notice I have it in my pocket. I would rather ******* on an electric fence while grooming my nose hairs with an ice pick than carry a case on my belt. And I don't want it going dead on me before I head home to put it on my touchstone. Carry around extra batteries...are you kidding me?

I'm tired of hoooring myself out to inconvenience just so I can have the neatest gadget. This coming from a guy who bought a Treo on Day One, my priorities have changed.
    I know people are going to say "wait and see" but honestly - I suspect that you aren't going to be too happy with a 910mAh battery.
    Right there with ya. Pixi is perfect for that. Small, very pocketable, and IMO the battery cover is the case, so no need to put another one on it. All mine has is a screen protector and of course a TouchStone back. Other than that, I keep it nekkid. What bothers me about the Veer is that being a slider makes it thicker. IMO thinness is far more important than tallness. Not like the Pixi was a tall phone, by any measure.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

2. Battery life.

I hear ya, but I must say, I'd rather carry one of those original $4K "mobile" phones than that electric fence scenario you've painted. Freak! ROFL
    personally IMO I think the Veer should have been a keyboardless 3 to 3.2 inch device. They could have still marketed it as a low to mid range device. Still could have kept cost down, and utilized the VK on a coming soon smartphone device. I think it will still do well, but IMO why shrink the pre form factor, when 3.1 was as small as a touchscreen device should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    @Rockbeast

I hear what you're saying but here are a few things to keep in mind (so that the post you responded to is kept in perspective).

1. I didn't say all their products are solid 100% of the time.Didn't mean to say that...hope I didn't
    2. The iPhone has always been pretty solid but people forgot that it was not just a phone. It was basically a 3-in-1 device. The "phone" part of it needed some work, but the thing was still a solid ipod and internet device. The build was pretty darn good as well. We seem to agree...cool!
    3. I wasn't implying anything good or bad about webOS with my comment. It was more to say "Hey, it's not just Apple marketing that works, their products do as well." Sorry if I implied more
    4. This one's personal, but for me, there is a huge difference in waiting for something to be perfected vs getting a product that works. For me, the Pre was too much of a failure. I tried to like it but after going through 12 devices on a 4-line plan in less than a year, it was too much to take. My VZW launch day Plus is still great...so personal experience has been different, hence different personal views...cool again
    Yes, I'm sorry T, I didn't mean to attach all my post to your post, or even that one piece i quoted. That was just a springboard to what was spilling out of the left side of my brain. And of course, it's not just about you...it's about me...AND you...AND everyone.

I do believe that there is a double standard between most things Apple and most other operating systems/hardware/insert associated company name here. If Apple said it, or did it, or is thinking about it...there is a quicker acceptance of things Apple than other products/OSs. I also think that if HP and Palm and associated webOS and hardware said it, or did it, or are thinking about it...thee is a quicker dismissal of things HPalm than with Apple. I think the recent forum postings since the Feb 9th event illustrate this belief that I have. It might be only a subtle difference, arguably I think it is a little more than subtle, but...

I've been trying to find the script to an episode of one of my favorite TV shows of all time...Taxi. I keep thinking about this scene whenever I feel like this double standard concept is showing up in the forums. I've found the episode, in Season 2, but can't find the script. The episode is the one where Latka meets a girl Simka (played by Carol Kane) from his country (ee-bi-da?), and they date...have an issue and a falling out...he realizes he was stupid for letting her go, he meets her again to apologize and try to restart their relationship. But she has met another guy. So, Latka tries to rationalize the other guy away. It goes something like this...VERY paraphrased since I don't have the script:

LATKA: [Dejected he looks over at new boyfriend and says to Simka] He's gorgeous...what does he do?

SIMKA: He's a doctor.

LATKA: A doctor...hmmm. It's no good. He'll never be around, always at the office or hospital, you will be lonely at home, you'll never get to see him.

DR. BOYFRIEND: Actually, I only work 2 days a week at the hospital, so I can devote more time to the important things in life, like my relationships.

LATKA: [to Simka] It's no good, he'll always be around, getting into everything, you'll never have a moment's peace. You'll get sick of him.

DR. BOYFRIEND: I spend some of my time off working for my charity helping orphan children... and puppies and kittens...[I'm really paraphrasing here...]

LATKA: [Pauses...then, to Dr. Boyfriend] You got a sister?

It isn't as funny as Reverend Jim's Driver's License application/test...what is...but it was good! I'm trying to point out what has been said/hinted at. A predisposition can alter how a person reacts to a situation. Many people, particularly those who have a predisposition to trust and 'love' Apple, can have already decided against any one/company that attempts to step into the limelight and suggest they have something additional or better to offer. That's the way of things...it ain't always fair, but we deal with it.

So, before we all get 'my Dad/OS can beat up your Dad/OS...or hardware' and get our fur up...let's all think about what we say...before we say it?

Anybody else out there like Taxi? WHAT?!? AREE YOU INSANE!?!...uh, I mean, that's interesting...a differing opinion...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'll say that Apple doesn't get a free pass on everything however. AppleTV didn't do that well. First MacBook Air? But they have a pretty good track record and I suspect that plays a role in them being trusted.

But I hear what you are saying, even if I don't agree with all of it.
    <<Thread moved>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Translation: "Hewlett-Packard: The (third) largest software conglomeration money can buy."

That hodge-podge of pieces and parts should be the makings of a great integrated ecosystem!
    Nope... HP is #2, as a tech company and software company.

Microsoft has 93,000 employees.

IBM is number 1 with over 400,000 emplyees, then HP at #2 with about 310,000 employees.

Apple has about 60,000 employees- if I remember correctly.

And, FYI, these arent the largest companies in the world.. WalMart has 2,100,000 emplyees.

And, here's some trivia for you:

The highest priced stock (Bershire-Hathaway) has a market cap of like $35b, and only has about 40 employees - NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a "large" company at all, as their stock price and market capitalization (value), ore even revenues, would suggest.

"large" = is # of employees, period.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Here is some more info on the apple phone rumors from the Washington Post

Rumors say iPhone 5 may have 4-inch screen, sliding keyboard
    By Hayley Tsukayama

iPhone 5 rumors continue to ramp up, as several tech blogs report that the new handset will have a 4-inch screen to be more competitive with Android. The current iPhone 4 has a 3.5-inch display.

The rumors about the screen originate from DigiTimes, which cites "upstream component suppliers."

Another rumor, this time from translations of a Taiwanese blog called tw.apple.pro, is that Apple is looking at three prototypes for the new handset. One of those prototypes is said to feature a full, slide-out keyboard. Another prototype would be little more than an upgrade of the current iPhone, which AppleInsider compared to the 3GS' upgrade of the iPhone 3.

According to AppleInsider, the Taiwanese site has a history of leaking correct information about Apple products, having obtained an authentic white iPhone panel and an iPhone 4 battery, and information about the MacBook and iPod Nano in the past.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nope... HP is #2, as a tech company and software company.

Microsoft has 93,000 employees.

IBM is number 1 with over 400,000 emplyees, then HP at #2 with about 310,000 employees.

Apple has about 60,000 employees- if I remember correctly.

And, FYI, these arent the largest companies in the world.. WalMart has 2,100,000 emplyees.

And, here's some trivia for you:

The highest priced stock (Bershire-Hathaway) has a market cap of like $35b, and only has about 40 employees - NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a "large" company at all, as their stock price and market capitalization (value), ore even revenues, would suggest.

"large" = is # of employees, period.

I edited my original to capture this important point you shared with us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    As the resident Apple booster, I will just come out and say that a mini iPhone is a stupid idea. It is also a groundless rumor that has been making the rounds for the last three years. This is not news.

That is not to say that Apple will not try to go after the low-end at some point. They moved the iPod downmarket after decimating the high-end competition. The iPhone is the most dominant high-end handset, so it may be time to pick up the downmarket leftovers.

Right now, their biggest problem with selling the iPhone is the world's capacity to produce them fast enough. They have no reason to move downmarket yet.
    hahaha. I love that the only thing holding apple back is the WORLD's inability to produce their phone fast enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So now the rumours are swimming the other way:

Apple to expand iPhone screen size to 4-inches
    Maybe Apple has decided to finally become uber-Apple, and just copy all of their competitors, instead of just some.

See what happens when Jobs steps away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    You know what? it's OK with me too. My friend wanted to have the iPhone, was willing to fore-go perfection because he wanted to see where things would go...and I think he is happy with that decision. Good for him. And good for those who have similar hopes for what will happen with webOS and associated hardware.
    Well put. And your friend probably got a free case for his iPhone too
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe Apple has decided to finally become uber-Apple, and just copy all of their competitors, instead of just some.

I really doubt this was developed in that time-frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Naw - it's because they just completely own the category they created so now they're moving on to begin conquering the remaining categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Naw - it's because they just completely own the category they created so now they're moving on to begin conquering the remaining categories.
    The problem when a company, say Apple, decides they "completely own" something is that another company, say Google, suddenly springs up out of nowhere and starts chipping away at that ownership.
    Well, the iPh 3GS is now 50 bucks on ATT.

So if the theory is that HP is trying to sell budget phones, they are going to be unpleasantly surprised with their sales numbers.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456