Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 119
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I dont see that. Iphone regardless of Androids push in 2010 and Nokias dominence over seas is running the mobile division with one model and at the time 1 carrier. They have only one market which is high end, and people buy it because its a house hold name in Apple. The same went with the Ipad which still sold millions even when these other android tabs came out. People will buy a smaller apple phone just because its apple and its a iphone. look at there ipod sales and their nano sales. Apple making a cheaper iphone in a mid to low range mobile phone market where they currently dont exist is a smart move, they can even get onto carriers like metro because the wholesale cost of it will be cheaper then a regular iphone. Its just my opinion nothing more.

    You present a logical case and as you say, it's only our individual perspectives on it. When is this min-iPhone suppose to be announced?
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ...Apple isn't interested in being all things to all people, that doesn't lead to high margins or quality of profits...Sure Apple could kick out a cheap phone and get involved into a scramble to the bottom, degrading their brand equity but why on earth would they want to get into a fight with people like ZTE who turn out phones for cheapskates like me? At the moment, their biggest problem with the iphone is the component supply related issue - they can't make them fast enough (Forbes estimates sales will increase by 20 million this year on the back of Asian growth) .
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I dont see that. Iphone regardless of Androids push in 2010 and Nokias dominence over seas is running the mobile division with one model and at the time 1 carrier. They have only one market which is high end, and people buy it because its a house hold name in Apple. The same went with the Ipad which still sold millions even when these other android tabs came out. People will buy a smaller apple phone just because its apple and its a iphone. look at there ipod sales and their nano sales. Apple making a cheaper iphone in a mid to low range mobile phone market where they currently dont exist is a smart move, they can even get onto carriers like metro because the wholesale cost of it will be cheaper then a regular iphone. Its just my opinion nothing more.
    Got to say I agree with both of these statements. Time will tell how it all plays out. If they do make a "mini me" phone, I hope they don't do the crazy (IMO) headphone-jack-as-an-adapter thing. I want no moving parts and I especially want no removable parts.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #83  
    Isn't the current Iphone 3.5"? Is it maybe that there is a 4" Iphone coming out and the current range is the actual 'mini'? Thus creating demand for a new premium item?
  4. #84  
    This will be interesting if true.

    I'd venture to say everyone thinks small phones are junk and noone wants one, but as soon as the product has a fruit logo and an "i" prefix, it will sell like crazy.
  5. #85  
    This thread gives me another opportunity to bash Apple. I think it is a stupid idea. What HP did was to take a not so popular smartphone and shrink it. Despite its popularity, Apple will have to do more than shrink an iPhone for this to make sense.

    What does makes sense is the part of the rumor suggesting it will have no storage. Everything will just stream from Apple's new services, not yet announced. An iPhone Stream could be a winner, provided unlimited data plans are available.

    As far as following HP, that is ridiculous. This device has been talked about for years. No doubt they have skunkworks projects with every conceivable formfactor. It's not like they heard HP's announcement and decided to hack one together.
  6. #86  
    Apple doesn't like to be one-upped, even if it is with something ridiculous lol


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Apple doesn't like to be one-upped, even if it is with something ridiculous lol
    I'm not sure I follow. If you consider a different form factor "one-upping" then your statement about Apple not liking to be one-upped is false since they've largely ignored all the various form factors that are present today.
  8. #88  
    Apple will NOT release a smaller phone with an inferior user interface. Their innovation will be in reducing the size and yet retaining or extending the current iPhone functionality.

    If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Apple retaining the 3.5" display (which avoids app fragmentation) but eliminating the current button and top section.

    For this to work they will (a) provide gestures on the screen to replace the functionality of the button, (b) design the screen in such a way that the facetime camera, ambient light sensor, etc are integrated into the screen, (c) no SIM card, and (d) maybe some gestures/functionality on the back of the phone.

    No way Apple will not release a feature phone or even a phone that looks like an existing smartphone/iPhone. Their goal will be to change our view of what a cost effective phone looks like or can do- and then make competitors scramble to copy and catch up again
  9. #89  
    If the prototype is half the size of the iPhone, then think iPhone Nano. That's what it will be. Just like the iPhone is basically an iPod touch with phone capabilities, the smaller iPhone will probably be just like an iPod Nano with phone capabilities. Slightly taller and thicker, but lacking the home button, cameras, etc. It will be interesting to see how they handle typing on such a small screen. May bring back T9 to avoid having to lay out a full QWERTY on such small real estate.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Since the Retina Display doubled the number of pixels horizontally and vertically of the iPhone screen, Apple could make a smaller device with the same pixel count as the previous iPhones. Apps would not have to be rewritten. The screen would be smaller, though, which would make some UI elements like the virtual keyboard an issue.
    Apple won't do anything that makes the UI an issue - remember that Steve Jobs made fun of the 7" tablets because he felt they were too tiny? The same fun would be made of the Nano iPhone.

    Apple won't take the 'easy' way out and reduce the screen size since that will make typing, and other UI activities very difficult. Reducing the size is also the approach that a lot of people can easily visualize which eliminates the wow factor if they do it that way...and so that means they won't.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Just woke up did we? You're about three days late and a story short. Been posted already.
    Yep, I posted this a few days back.

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ight-call.html

    And of course this was all YEARS in the making that "magically" coincided with the Veers announcement.


    (Oh, and last I check, the VZ iPhone wasn't the all-ending-devistator either. Jobs is not god, though he thinks hes zod.

    Apple Holders Fret Over Thin Lines For Verizon iPhone - Eric Savitz - The Tech Trade - Forbes

    Verizon iPhone Sales Overblown? - Wendy Tanaka - Technovore - Forbes
  12. #92  
    More details from Tom's Hardware.

    WSJ: iPhone Mini Will Have Edge-to-Edge Screen

    iPhone Nano?



    The Wall Street Journal is tapping its "sources close to Apple" again for some juicy tidbits on the next generation iPhone or should we say iPhones.


    The latest to come out from the rumor mill is that Apple will be releasing a smaller iPhone that will be around half the size of the iPhone 4. In addition to being half the size, it is said to be half the price when offered to carriers (whether that price cut results in a half-priced Apple phone on contract will remain to be seen).


    Details about the prototype hardware, according to someone who has seen it, are that it's significantly lighter and has an edge-to-edge screen. This could fall in line with rumors that Apple is doing away with the home button all together in favor of having everything navigated via gestures.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #93  
    So Really mobile might be on the button - it might be smaller but actually the same size screen, I guess that allows two Iphones because you then have a 4" which is no bigger than the original phone?
  14. #94  
    It's going to be a huge success, and people are going to swoon over Apple's innovation. Then we'll bring up the Veer, and it's gonna be: "yes, it was earlier, but who wanted it? it was a failure because HP sucks and nobody wants them. The iPhone nano is a fantastic product and very usable despite its size, making it perfect for everybody. Just look at the hundreds of articles about it in the mainstream news media: 'smallest smartphone ever'. Yeah, the Veer is smaller... but again, who wanted that? It doesn't count."
  15. #95  
    The best thing Apple ever made was a loyal fan base, through marketing--which is something that, from what I have seen, HP absolutely fails utterly at. Actually I would not be surprised if HP and MS share the same marketing department, because they are both equally awful in similar ways. Would be interesting to see how HP could do with Apple's marketing department.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The best thing Apple ever made was a loyal fan base, through marketing--which is something that, from what I have seen, HP absolutely fails utterly at. Actually I would not be surprised if HP and MS share the same marketing department, because they are both equally awful in similar ways. Would be interesting to see how HP could do with Apple's marketing department.
    I predict that HP's marketing department will do okay once some of this hardware is delivered.
  17. #97  
    Both devices will do well, I predict, and the choice will be clear:

    Qwerty keyboard, or not.

    There IS a market for this, and, I believe its much larger than most people realize.

    IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The best thing Apple ever made was a loyal fan base, through marketing
    ...and very good, solid (though expensive) products.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #99  
    So now the rumours are swimming the other way:

    Apple reportedly will change the screen size of iPhone to 4-inch for its fifth generation iPhone to compete with the Google Android platform in the 4- to 7-inch smartphone market, according to upstream component suppliers.
    Apple to expand iPhone screen size to 4-inches
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    ...and very good, solid (though expensive) products.
    Well...at least they work on their products to improve them to GET to 'very good, solid'...and still be expensive.

    I didn't have a high opinion of the call quality of the first iPhones. They may be much better now, but the first friend I know who had an iPhone (had to have it...changed carriers to one he hated just to get the iPhone) had difficulties with it. Whenever he called me, his voice was the worst quality of any of my friends that would call me (of course, I only have 3 friends...so...). OK, it was the worst quality of anybody who called me. It was the classic tinny inside a trash can quality.

    Now when he calls (and he has a newer iPhone), it's not bad. It's equivalent to most other calls I receive. He also had problems of not getting messages for days...might be problems with the carrier though, not the phone?

    What's my point? Do I have to have one?

    OK, my point is, I hear a lot of folks who are down on hp and/or legacy webOS devices, or even down on webOS itself (horrors! ) saying 'you bunch of *******, hp is dead, webOS is no longer significantly different or better than iOS or Android, you are an ***** for sticking with it!" Yet, my friend was an early adopter of the iPhone, and sure it had some issues...but Apple always eventually pleases...gets it right...and is so cool...I'll wait it out. And that's 'OK' with the downers I mentioned above.

    You know what? it's OK with me too. My friend wanted to have the iPhone, was willing to fore-go perfection because he wanted to see where things would go...and I think he is happy with that decision. Good for him. And good for those who have similar hopes for what will happen with webOS and associated hardware.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions