Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Nobody has sold me on this, I haven't seen one convincing reason why Apple wants to get into the game of fighting it out with bargain basement android devices.
    It's a way into emergent markets, I guess.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Out of interest, what's the earlier anyone can find the 'iphone nano'? Here it is in Oct 2008:

Apple iPhone Nano
    I threw up a link earlier to a story about Apple sourcing 2.8" screens back in June 2008. Apple's been thinking about this for a while now.
    IF its contract free, it might be released on T-Mobile - perhaps there are still quite a bit of the 40 million users there that are using an old "dumbphone" that want the functionality of a smartphone, but don't want a smartphone sized device.

I, for one, believe Apple will release a mini-iPhone. I have no proof, but, it does fit the Apple product cycle, just like with the iPod, and, there are various reasons why they would feel it would be successful, aside from doing their own marketting research: it would be cheaper to make and to sell, and, it would likely be an incredibly effective way to get new iOS device users into their eco system, and eventually upgrade, when they realize a larger screen device might truly fit their needs.

And, I believe HP is thinking the EXACT same thing.. however, they will likely get to market first with the Veer, if they do start selling it in April, as planned.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    As an inexpensive, commitment-free phone with as much full iOS functionality as possible (read: App Store and Safari), I think this would do very, very well.
    That's the challenge right there. I can't imagine running iOS apps on half the screen size. It may be technically possible, but not practical.
    Yeah, you'll end up with comically small hit targets.

Readability is a huge question mark too. Looking at the Veer...I can't imagine anyone wanting to read anything longer than a tweet or a SMS on that display.

Things like that make me wonder if the iPhone nano screen will really be 2.8 inches. Apple sourced some 3.2" screens too, back in 2008 -- that seems like a much more reasonable size for a smaller iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    HP Software is the Enterprise software division of information technology company Hewlett-Packard (HP). According to Software Magazine, HP is the third largest software company in the world behind No. 1 IBM and No. 2 Microsoft.[1] From September 2005 through 2010, HP purchased a total of 15 software companies as part of a publicized, deliberate strategy to augment its software offerings for large business customers.[2][3] In May, 2010, HP announced that Bill Veghte would serve as the executive vice president of HP Software. Veghte formerly led Microsoft's Windows business.[4] HP continued its buying spree of leading software and technology solutions providers in 2010.[5] In August 2010, HP announced it would acquire Fortify Software, a software security assurance company, specializing in static application security analysis.[6][7] Also in August, 2010, HP announced the acquisition of Denver-based Stratavia, a privately held database and application automation company to bolster its cloud computing and automation software portfolio.[8][9] In mid-September, 2010, HP announced it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire ArcSight (Nasdaq: ARST), a security and compliance software provider, for $43.50 per share, or approximately $1.5 billion.[10][11] On October 22, 2010, HP announced it had completed its acquisition of ArcSight.[12][13
    Translation: "Hewlett-Packard: The (second) largest software conglomeration money can buy."

That hodge-podge of pieces and parts should be the makings of a great integrated ecosystem!
    Last edited by Kupe; 02/16/2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    crazy though homie every freakin post I see with your name on it shows you against webos, HP, Palm and everything involved about it. My question is why are you still interested in putting your 2 cents in is my question. How does HP have nothing Apple has hmm they are #1 PC maker in the world even with ipads included. They gross more a Q over 30 billion then Apple. THey have a bigger brand name then Apple hmmm. Besides the mobile division which is where HP is starting from with their own OS (not windows based Ipaqs) I dont see any facts supporting your blasphomy care to look up those facts I just gave. I think it does show market interest from people like Apple, though with how well the centro sold with palm it should have already rang a bell. I think we may see a few small devices that are powerfull coming from different companies. I don't think it was a bad idea at all, as long as they price it right. To me either Free with a 2yr contract or the most $50.
    I am not a acoloyte of HP or Apple (I own and buy HP equipment), however your HP quarterly comparison may not show the whole picture:

Why does Apple have a net profit margin of 20% while HP and Dell are around 5%?

CHART OF THE DAY: Apple Is In The Middle Of The Pack On Revenue, But Crushing On Operating Profit

Apple > Dell + HP

From TechCrunch 2010:

HP Wants To Become Apple. WebOS Is The Key
    [/I]
    On the face of it, it may not seem to make a lot of sense. After all, HP makes nearly double the revenue that Apple does each quarter. But despite this, it’s Apple that actually makes more profit. And it’s Apple that has more than double the market cap of HP. In the eyes of investors, Apple is the up-and-coming rockstar, HP is the aging one. And they’re closely tied to their counterpart, Microsoft, who is also seen as aging.
    I saw this story today:

FoxNews.com - Apple Working on Smaller, More Affordable Line of iPhones

Hmmm. I wonder how this will be received by the folks who diss the Veer saying a phone MUST have the screen real estate of the iPhone?

I guess even apple is starting to see that life does come in more than one size and flavor. That's a good thing! More choice!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I saw this story today:

FoxNews.com - Apple Working on Smaller, More Affordable Line of iPhones

Hmmm. I wonder how this will be received by the folks who diss the Veer saying a phone MUST have the screen real estate of the iPhone?

I guess even apple is starting to see that life does come in more than one size and flavor. That's a good thing! More choice!
    Just woke up did we? You're about three days late and a story short. Been posted already.
    Oh? Sorry, just enjoying the weekend with my family...should have known better than wasting my time doing that! But it was a beautiful weekend with sun and almost warmth...we couldn't resist!

I hope you chastised the Wall Street Journal too, since they only posted this story yesterday. What is the journalistic world coming to?

I guess I put too much faith in the precentral forum 'checker'...it usually warns me if I'm about to post something similar before I post it. There was nothing listed as similar within the last few months. Oh well, technology can't do EVERYTHING for me can it?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Oh? Sorry, just enjoying the weekend with my family...should have known better than wasting my time doing that! But it was a beautiful weekend with sun and almost warmth...we couldn't resist!
    What? You put family before webOS-related news? What kind of a fan are you?
    this thing is gonna flop
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    this thing is gonna flop
    Nah, it'll do fine. Our dear little Veer will be the flop. :-P

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    A bit risky for Apple to be flirting with low end crap.
    this is a smart move by Apple, and people seem to forget how well the centro sold years ago. There are alot of people out there that would love to have the features of a superphone, in a smaller design, and cheaper. The iphone is expensive to alot of people, though if you can make a smaller iphone thats maybe 50 dollars on contract alot of people will opt to buy it as will the Veer.
    apple always starts big and goes small.

Macbook Pro and then Macbook Air

iPod and then Nano

iPhone and then iPalm?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    this is a smart move by Apple, and people seem to forget how well the centro sold years ago. There are alot of people out there that would love to have the features of a superphone, in a smaller design, and cheaper. The iphone is expensive to alot of people, though if you can make a smaller iphone thats maybe 50 dollars on contract alot of people will opt to buy it as will the Veer.
    It's a dumb move, the Centro was a high volume, low margin item. Apple isn't interested in being all things to all people, that doesn't lead to high margins or quality of profits - that's why the graphs look like this:

Making it up in volume: How profit and volumes traded-off in the fourth quarter | asymco

Sure Apple could kick out a cheap phone and get involved into a scramble to the bottom, degrading their brand equity but why on earth would they want to get into a fight with people like ZTE who turn out phones for cheapskates like me? At the moment, their biggest problem with the iphone is the component supply related issue - they can't make them fast enough (Forbes estimates sales will increase by 20 million this year on the back of Asian growth) .
    It's a dumb move, the Centro was a high volume, low margin item. Apple isn't interested in being all things to all people, that doesn't lead to high margins or quality of profits - that's why the graphs look like this:

Making it up in volume: How profit and volumes traded-off in the fourth quarter | asymco

Sure Apple could kick out a cheap phone and get involved into a scramble to the bottom, degrading their brand equity but why on earth would they want to get into a fight with people like ZTE who turn out phones for cheapskates like me? At the moment, their biggest problem with the iphone is the component supply related issue - they can't make them fast enough (Forbes estimates sales will increase by 20 million this year on the back of Asian growth) .
    Yep the risky part is devaluing their premium brand. That's worth a lot more than trying to go after a low end revenue stream that they're already milking with older iphones such as the 3GS which sells for like 50 already.

I dont see that. Iphone regardless of Androids push in 2010 and Nokias dominence over seas is running the mobile division with one model and at the time 1 carrier. They have only one market which is high end, and people buy it because its a house hold name in Apple. The same went with the Ipad which still sold millions even when these other android tabs came out. People will buy a smaller apple phone just because its apple and its a iphone. look at there ipod sales and their nano sales. Apple making a cheaper iphone in a mid to low range mobile phone market where they currently dont exist is a smart move, they can even get onto carriers like metro because the wholesale cost of it will be cheaper then a regular iphone. Its just my opinion nothing more.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast