Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Could have sworn I just saw a 3gs ad for $50 last night. Wonder if they're aiming at the "I didn't really wanted the old technology instead" market ...
    That's carrier side - that's not impacting on Apple's margins. I just can't see why anyone would think this makes any sense in the context of their last quarter results and what that said about the direction of the company. Hell even the original report states that the information was a year old and the project could have been scrapped. There could have been an internal project to look at such a thing doesn't mean it's coming out. Even if it does, I can't see for one second that it will be $200 off contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's carrier side - that's not impacting on Apple's margins. I just can't see why anyone would think this makes any sense in the context of their last quarter results and what that said about the direction of the company. Hell even the original report states that the information was a year old and the project could have been scrapped. There could have been an internal project to look at such a thing doesn't mean it's coming out. Even if it does, I can't see for one second that it will be $200 off contract.
    I don't think I mentioned anything about last quarter's results, so don't know where that came from. But I have heard a lot of silliness form aPhans that:
    1. Apple won't race to the bottom
    2. Apple controls pricing for their carriers
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    So you may think Veer is a FAIL, for many reasons, but there are people out there who say even Apple believes that a mini-phone is a good idea...

The story is all over google news (Bloomberg, Apple Insider, etc.).
    1: HP is not Apple
    2: Go back and watch the video of the HP event. Watch and listen to the audience reaction to the Veer and Pre 3. Veer intro, dead silence. You could hear a pin drop. Pre 3 introduction and Ruby had to encourage the audience to clap. Apple could probably get away with a nano type phone, they are already known for making things small.
    I don't think I mentioned anything about last quarter's results, so don't know where that came from. But I have heard a lot of silliness form aPhans that:
    1. Apple won't race to the bottom
    2. Apple controls pricing for their carriers
    I think you are associating "race to the bottom" with low price.

What I have said is that Apple likes to make insane profit margins.

As an example, iSuppli has guessed that the iPhone 4 costs $187.51 to manufacturer. Apple has come out and said that the average price they sell the iPhone 4 to carriers for is in the $600 range.

If we were to calculate the profit margin on those above numbers, you will see that the profit margin is approximately 31%. Doesn't that fit Apple's typical profit margin range of somewhere between 30 - 35% profit they make off their stuff?

Apple sells several products that are cheap in price. Like the iPod Shuffle for $49. It's CHEAP in price and a low end product, BUT I bet the profit margins on it is high for Apple. The Mac mini is also a low end product that Apple makes.

So, if Apple were to make this rumored phone for $200 off contract, you can best believe that it will only happen if Apple is getting their typical 30% profit margin. Furthermore, I'm sure the phone will be missing features that other competitor phones will have for the same price or less. That's where the comment of "racing to the bottom" Apple does not do. If you want those other feature that the competitors offer at the same price, then you will have to buy the iPhone 4, which makes more money for Apple, to get them.
    Could have sworn I just saw a 3gs ad for $50 last night. Wonder if they're aiming at the "I didn't really wanted the old technology instead" market ...
    They are just continuing to sell a phone that came out in 2009.

I have read that the price to manufacturer the iPhone 3GS is a lot cheaper now. So, why not continue to sell a product if they are still getting their 30% profit margin? For all we know, Apple could still be charging the carriers $600 for the iPhone 3GS and making an even HIGHER profit margin. That just may be the reason why they still sell it.

They are locking a customer into the Apple ecosystem that thinks $199 is to much for a phone but will pay $49 for last years technology, while still getting their 30% or higher profit margin. Sounds like a good business decision to me.
    People forget apple is a software company. They didn't just start making money in 2007 with the iphone. They get you to buy their cool device to bring you into the apple ecosystem. Hello itunes. Money off hardware is bonus.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Whatever Apple does, it probably won't be this:

HP Veer too small for 3.5mm headphone jack and microUSB port, gets magnetic connectors instead

The phone is basically too small to exist, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    People forget apple is a software company. They didn't just start making money in 2007 with the iphone. They get you to buy their cool device to bring you into the apple ecosystem. Hello itunes. Money off hardware is bonus.
    Hmm, I've always heard Apple is a hardware company that has some software. Microsoft is a software company that has some hardware.
    If iPhone Nano is available before HP's coming soon, I will surely be tempted.

Difficult to trust HPalm any more than Apple!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple iPhone 4 Parts Cost $187.51, Analysts Say

The iPhone 4 is estimated to cost Apple only $187.51 to make. I'm sure they could cut that back even further in a scaled down device. Sale tens of millions, that's quite a bit of profit margin.

I don't really see it happening either, but I also wouldn't be surprised.
    The smaller technology sometimes is more expensive to make. Not always though.

Thats in contract and I believe to attract customers to ATT. Its funny -- that price changed happened around the time it was expected Apple to announce the Verizon iPhone.

I personally do think they will make a iPhone Nano. It would be more of a phone/music player I think, like the iPod Nano is more of a music player. Meaning less focus on apps and web -- but it would of course still be able to do those things.

And they could have a slide out screen as a virtual keyboard. They could call it iPhone DS lol
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    The smaller technology sometimes is more expensive to make. Not always though.

Thats in contract and I believe to attract customers to ATT. Its funny -- that price changed happened around the time it was expected Apple to announce the Verizon iPhone.

I personally do think they will make a iPhone Nano. It would be more of a phone/music player I think, like the iPod Nano is more of a music player. Meaning less focus on apps and web -- but it would of course still be able to do those things.

And they could have a slide out screen as a virtual keyboard. They could call it iPhone DS lol
    Quite a change - Apple releasing an iPhone nano after HP announced the Veer. Now the latest rumor that Apple is releasing another iPad in the fall that may be a 7 inch tablet. Given that HP is releasing their 7 inch in September, it is nice to see Apple perhaps following Palm for once.
    The WSJ touched on some of this today...sounds like Apple might beat HP to the "vertically integrated cloud services" and "music synergy" thing if they're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Quite a change - Apple releasing an iPhone nano after HP announced the Veer. Now the latest rumor that Apple is releasing another iPad in the fall that may be a 7 inch tablet. Given that HP is releasing their 7 inch in September, it is nice to see Apple perhaps following Palm for once.
    iPhone nano and 7 inch iPad rumors are around for long long time. Apple isn't following hp. If they do that, they are doing their own survey with what consumer wants unlike many other company just copy apple.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    iPhone nano and 7 inch iPad rumors are around for long long time. Apple isn't following hp. If they do that, they are doing their own survey with what consumer wants unlike many other company just copy apple.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Yup. Let's not forget about this from nearly 3 years ago.

AppleInsider | Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface
    Here's a link to one of the stories floating around:

WSJ Confirms Upcoming Half-Price, Half-Size iPhone Rumor & New MobileMe :: AppAdvice

For the record, I still think it is a stupid idea for most of the same reasons as I stated for the Veer. The only differences is that Apple has a music ecosystem that would make this device the equivalent of an iPod nano with a phone. The other difference is that Apple can afford to go downmarket with a few hobbies. HP needs to focus on one home-run.

Having said that, If Apple does release this, it will be curtains for the Veer. Personally, I don't care if they release anything other than an iPad 2, and iOS 5. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Then again, I am just one man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    They are a vender.
    That is where they have been successful.

Name HP software that has been successful.
    HP Software Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HP Software is the Enterprise software division of information technology company Hewlett-Packard (HP). According to Software Magazine, HP is the third largest software company in the world behind No. 1 IBM and No. 2 Microsoft.[1] From September 2005 through 2010, HP purchased a total of 15 software companies as part of a publicized, deliberate strategy to augment its software offerings for large business customers.[2][3] In May, 2010, HP announced that Bill Veghte would serve as the executive vice president of HP Software. Veghte formerly led Microsoft's Windows business.[4] HP continued its buying spree of leading software and technology solutions providers in 2010.[5] In August 2010, HP announced it would acquire Fortify Software, a software security assurance company, specializing in static application security analysis.[6][7] Also in August, 2010, HP announced the acquisition of Denver-based Stratavia, a privately held database and application automation company to bolster its cloud computing and automation software portfolio.[8][9] In mid-September, 2010, HP announced it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire ArcSight (Nasdaq: ARST), a security and compliance software provider, for $43.50 per share, or approximately $1.5 billion.[10][11] On October 22, 2010, HP announced it had completed its acquisition of ArcSight.[12][13
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    the old apple can do this but HP cant is all you'll get in here !! lol no matter what happens trolls wont believe you but will want you to believe them . lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    For the record, I still think it is a stupid idea for most of the same reasons as I stated for the Veer. The only differences is that Apple has a music ecosystem that would make this device the equivalent of an iPod nano with a phone. The other difference is that Apple can afford to go downmarket with a few hobbies. HP needs to focus on one home-run.

Having said that, If Apple does release this, it will be curtains for the Veer. Personally, I don't care if they release anything other than an iPad 2, and iOS 5. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Then again, I am just one man.
    I think it really depends on how and where it's sold. As an inexpensive, commitment-free phone with as much full iOS functionality as possible (read: App Store and Safari), I think this would do very, very well.

I think Virgin Mobile has a contract-free pay as you go Android phone. That's the model Apple should adopt with this iPhone nano.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think it really depends on how and where it's sold. As an inexpensive, commitment-free phone with as much full iOS functionality as possible (read: App Store and Safari), I think this would do very, very well.

I think Virgin Mobile has a contract-free pay as you go Android phone. That's the model Apple should adopt with this iPhone nano.
    Nobody has sold me on this, I haven't seen one convincing reason why Apple wants to get into the game of fighting it out with bargain basement android devices.
    For the amount of time and energy that guy puts into causing a scene, arguing about absolutely everything until they're blue in the face....

I can see wasting time on something you're passionate about, that you like. Things I don't like, I would rather not waste my valuable time and energy.

And isn't it odd, have you ever gotten that feeling, at any point in your life, that you just weren't welcome? What did you do, stay there and be as obtrusive, and abrasive as possible, or did you just go away? I'm willing to bet 99% of people would just go away. Why would you want to hang out where you weren't welcome? I don't get it....
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast