Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    it's likely hp and apple spy on eachother and plan products to compete.
    Are we still believing that Apple is worrying about webOS or even spying on us? Apple is so far ahead of the game in smartphone market, there's no way HP can catch them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I want a bigger iPhone, personally.

That said, a $200 contract-free iPhone that can do everything its bigger brother can, only in a smaller form factor, would be a game changer.
    A game changer huh? Somehow, I knew such a response was coming. This is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense. HP produces devices. HP produces software. Where in the world do you guys get your ideas?
    They are a vender.
    That is where they have been successful.

Name HP software that has been successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    ZOMG iPhone nano....

My only question would be with Apple's current hatred of all things mechanical on gadgets, how would they even make a mini smartphone comfortable to type on?
    its an apple product! if they offered steaming piles of feces, people would line up at best buy for em...
    A game changer huh? Somehow, I knew such a response was coming. This is fun.
    To be fair, this probably would be the case because it would be Apple entering a market where Android is picking up a lot of its margins right now: the inexpensive, unlocked touchscreen smartphone. ZTE came out of nowhere as a major global phone manufacturer recently, and the ZTE Blade is one of their big growth devices. I think CGK on these forums has one. Huawei is another big one in this segment. These Chinese manufacturers are eating that market up.

It would be interesting to see Apple play that game....

...but I don't think they will. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    They are a vender.
    That is where they have been successful.

Name HP software that has been successful.
    You're joking, right?

HP Openview, now HP Open Call.

I know, I know, it's not a game app, or music, or any of that "cool" stuff, the kiddies weren't their target audience.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they do now !! the base culture is already there and here to stay all they need to do is move quickly ! which i hope someone light a candle under their **** !
    HP just doesn't seem to have a user-centered culture the way Apple does. I have an HP desktop, and let me tell you, Apple would never have shipped that thing.
    Guess I should get my iPhone4 on VZW now rather than wait for whatever they may or may not have up their sleeve.
    Yo,

You think it will be called the iphone mini? I do. For reasons I don't care to get into here, I believe iphone mini is the name. I also am under the impression it will be available before the veer.

You can all thank me for this P.S.I. whenever.

peace,
    B.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I'm pretty sure Apple is selling more iPhones per quarter than HP is shipping computers, too.

I mean, I think these manhood-swinging contests are pointless because size and money have nothing to do with good ideas or the ability to execute them (e.g. Nokia), but what you said seems wildly inaccurate.

This is apples to oranges (apple v hp).

Hp is in the enterprise business. So what if there are more iphones than hp desktops sold. hp sells severs, blades, storage and services to go with those enterprise products PLUS continued support. Oh yeah, my company paid 1mill for HP openview a few years back.

They make their money from different markets. This is hp's attempt to enter an already crowded smart phone space.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    So if they do, I wonder why? Will it be because it suddenly became a good idea, and they expanded their laserlike focus to enclude the cheaper devices, and thus invented them?
    I already said I think a cut down iPhone is a stupid idea. There is a certain size, below which, is just uncomfortable and impractical for the human hand. I think we are already there.

They could go larger, but not much. There is an upward limit as well. As for making it cheaper, what would they take out to bring the price from $700 to $200? I can't imagine why they would even want to. They are not having trouble selling the premium iPhone for their asking price.

They also just expanded to Verizon, an Android and BB stronghold. They will already be capturing marketshare from the other platforms, and bringing in a new set of feature phone users who did not have access to an iPhone. I don't see them needing to move downmarket anytime soon.
    i hate the new nano too and the shuffles in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    ... Oh yeah, my company paid 1mill for HP openview a few years back.
    Couldn't be. We've heard HP doesn't make software...
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ... I don't see them needing to move downmarket anytime soon.
    I know what you said. I was asking about what it means if it turns out you're wrong? Will that mean that Apple has lost that "laserlike focus", and is now selling to the "bottom of the market"?

More importantly, will it mean that HP is copying them, and so anxious to do so they started before Apple even invented the idea?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This sounds like fantasy to me - a $200 contract free phone - where are the margins in that?

I don't see Apple moving down-market like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This sounds like fantasy to me - a $200 contract free phone - where are the margins in that?

I don't see Apple moving down-market like that.
    Apple iPhone 4 Parts Cost $187.51, Analysts Say

The iPhone 4 is estimated to cost Apple only $187.51 to make. I'm sure they could cut that back even further in a scaled down device. Sale tens of millions, that's quite a bit of profit margin.

I don't really see it happening either, but I also wouldn't be surprised.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple iPhone 4 Parts Cost $187.51, Analysts Say

The iPhone 4 is estimated to cost Apple only $187.51 to make. I'm sure they could cut that back even further in a scaled down device. Sale tens of millions, that's quite a bit of profit margin.

I don't really see it happening either, but I also wouldn't be surprised.
    But their model is to maintain or increase margins (which they also managed to do with Mac's this year) - releasing a $200 phone does not do that, it's also then creates an expectation that you will release a $150 phone. I just can't see them getting into the low margin, high volume game at this point, they have no need to (at this point, the future may be different).
    Last edited by CGK; 02/11/2011 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But their model is to maintain or increase margins (which they also managed to do with Mac's this year) - releasing a $200 phone does not do that, it's also then creates an expectation that you will release a $150 phone. I just can't see them getting into the low margin, high volume game at this point, they have no need to (at this point, the future may be different).
    True. I can't recall Apple ever competing in the low-end market.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Apple has build up significant brand equity and the end result is that they can get the consumer to pay significantly more than for a technically similar product from a competitor. They would be mad to throw that away to chase the bottom end of the market.

Having said that, I'm sure this mini-phone story comes up every year?
    Could have sworn I just saw a 3gs ad for $50 last night. Wonder if they're aiming at the "I didn't really wanted the old technology instead" market ...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast