Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I apologize in advance for this post and I know it won't be popular but if I can help someone have an awesome phone, it's worth it:

I had a Pre. Got it about 2 weeks after it came out in late June, 2009, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. (I actually had 4, but you know how that goes) I got my wife one, talked two of my good friends into one, and one of them got his wife one.

I loved it. I was on precentral.net almost every day for the entire time I owned it. But, as the 4th one deteriorated, and my friends jumped ship, I decided I needed to make a change. When the EVO went on sale in the week between Christmas and New Years, I bought one at Radio Shack. I kept the packaging in pristine condition because I knew I wasn't going to like Android or that huge slab phone. And, I love keyboards on a phone.

Well, I have to tell you, I'm so glad I made the move. Seriously, if you are thinking of baling out at this point, try the EVO. It is just such a perfect device. I won't go on and on here, but I will say this, and I never thought I would: Android is awesome. At least Android 2.2, which is called froyo and is the current version on the EVO. I truly believe it is even better than Webos. The app store is amazing. And the hardware on that phone is just about perfect. Just try it and see what you think. If you are a phone dork/hobbyist like me, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Also, go to androidcentral.com and look around in the EVO forum. You will see literally hundreds of former Pre users saying the same thing. (and blackberry users)

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone here. The only reason I am posting this is because I wish I would have read a similar post much earlier. I got a lot of help from people here and so I wanted to try to help you guys. I loved my Palm Treo and my Palm Pre, but it's just so much better.

Joe
    I hear ya I love my evo to and yes u do see alot of former pre and B B converts.. so yeah give it a try.. I can also tell u this soon as pre3 comes out I will get it..
    I respectfully disagree...and I really wish I didn't. I want pretty badly to leave HP, Palm and webOS behind cuz these people are just frustrating...

I had the Evo and currently have the Epic 4g...driven to Android by failing Launch day pre hardware.

Android is a decent OS and has some good points about it, but I really miss webOS. To the point that if the Pre3 came out today, I'd buy it full price.

My reason if anyone cares are listed below (taken from another post of mine):

1. I get "lost" in the Android OS and wonder how I get back to where I was. Cases in point:

a.The separation of text messaging and Instant messaging. webOS puts every conversation together. I don't miss google talk, Aol Instant messenger or Facebook (homebrewed) messages as they pop up like a text message.

b. Multitasking: Android probably handles its multi-tasking better on an OS standpoint, BUT when I close out of something to the homescreen I find myself searching for the best way to get back to it. I know that I can just "hold home" but that is unintuitive after using the cards metaphor.

Also, if I "pause" out of an app or game to answer a call or text, there is a very good chance that Android will decide that app needs to be closed. Completely losing my place in it. That is Frustrating.

2. Notification system:

a. I miss messages since Android seems to only show one notification at a time on the main screen.

b. I can't interact with the notifications. I want to be able to go to a specific notification when I have a new email or text message. Not to the main choice of what email box i want to see. (which brings me to...

3. Separate Email boxes: I liked being able to see all of my mail in one place if I wanted...with the choice of viewing them separately. I don't want to have to go into 4 different boxes to check things. Takes too much time.

4. Apps: Maybe I haven't looked enough, but there aren't many apps I need that I can't find here with the exception of apps for voice search (which maybe coming as the API for microphone access was recently released.) And Gaming on the Pre actually far outstrips Android. Who'dathunkit?

5. Music Player: all of the music players I have tried in Android PALE in comparison to Music Player (Remix) 2.0. I've asked DanPLC if he plans to port to Android...I hope he does, because he will make a boatload of cash if his player hits the Android market.

6. Universal Search: Android's search is more powerful. But I still don't use it as much to find out quick things on the go like i did with my Pre. I could pull out the pre and have an answer to something faster than folk on a computer could go to google and figure it out. The Epic...just isn't there yet. but Android DOES bring back more kind of results, and gives more choices as to what it brings back.

I think there are a few other things, but I can't think of them right now.

There are some things that I will miss if I DO switch back to webOS.

1. the Hardware. The Epic feels, and looks good. I now know why people on this forum want to put webOS on it.

2. Voice Search and input: I can "text" while driving because the thing actually understands my voice.

3. Useful camera. I can actually take pics and video without the app lagging for minutes at a time.
    Quick interjection.

3. Use this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.****.k9

4. That's case by case. While gaming is good on the pre I don't know if its better than Android. Maybe 8 months ago....Android gets many 3D games which are feature complete vs. a lot of missing features in the quick and dirty ports companies did for WebOS. Words for Friends is coming to Android this month and includes cross platform play. There isn't choices (as far as i know) like that for WebOS.

5. I dunno, i LLOVE this music player: https://market.android.com/details?i...oplayer.unlock

I mean, again personal preference but i am a fan of this one and its a lot quicker and more responsive than whats currently on the Pre.

Other than that, yeah phones are mostly personal preference....i miss some things of WebOS...like their notifications....but I gained much more personally going to Android. YMMV.

Edit...haha wow, the URL for the firstt link has a series of letters that look like someone trying to misspell the F word and i guess it got blocked. App is called K-9 Mail.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Swap "Evo" with Nexus S" and you are telling my story joe8617. Simply got tired of waiting for HP to do or even say something to us original Pre users. Was hesitant about Gingerbread at first but can't imagine going back now.

I do miss Music Remix but PowerAMP is filling in rather nicely - although it needs a preview mode and corresponding gestures bad!!!!
    I'm just touching on a few points in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I respectfully disagree...and I really wish I didn't. I want pretty badly to leave HP, Palm and webOS behind cuz these people are just frustrating...

I had the Evo and currently have the Epic 4g...driven to Android by failing Launch day pre hardware.

Android is a decent OS and has some good points about it, but I really miss webOS. To the point that if the Pre3 came out today, I'd buy it full price.

My reason if anyone cares are listed below (taken from another post of mine):

1. I get "lost" in the Android OS and wonder how I get back to where I was. Cases in point:

a.The separation of text messaging and Instant messaging. webOS puts every conversation together. I don't miss google talk, Aol Instant messenger or Facebook (homebrewed) messages as they pop up like a text message.

b. Multitasking: Android probably handles its multi-tasking better on an OS standpoint, BUT when I close out of something to the homescreen I find myself searching for the best way to get back to it. I know that I can just "hold home" but that is unintuitive after using the cards metaphor.If it were webOS, you'd patch that feature. I say, do the same with Android (but in Android's case, it means installing other apps that give your better task switching.

Also, if I "pause" out of an app or game to answer a call or text, there is a very good chance that Android will decide that app needs to be closed. Completely losing my place in it. That is Frustrating.
    This is not true. There is only "a good chance" of this happening on memory starved devices. I'm not saying it may never happen, but saying there is a good chance of it is misleading. If resources are available, Android will leave your current app alone when you switch to another. Even when resources aren't available, there is a specific set of rules that it follows before "deciding that an app needs to be closed".
    2. Notification system:

a. I miss messages since Android seems to only show one notification at a time on the main screen.Huh? You get notification icons in the top bar. When you bring down the notification shade, they are all listed there and scrollable. What do you mean you only see one?

b. I can't interact with the notifications. I want to be able to go to a specific notification when I have a new email or text message. Not to the main choice of what email box i want to see. (which brings me to...
    This part is somewhat true. Some notifications allow you to interact but most do as you've described. This needs to be fixed.
    3. Separate Email boxes: I liked being able to see all of my mail in one place if I wanted...with the choice of viewing them separately. I don't want to have to go into 4 different boxes to check things. Takes too much time.
    I thought there were apps that do this. It's not a preference of mine so I haven't looked in a while but I thought there was at least one mail client that did this. Can't remember the name, sorry, but it has a dog and envelop for an icon I think. (I remember not liking the icon, lol)
    4. Apps: Maybe I haven't looked enough, but there aren't many apps I need that I can't find here with the exception of apps for voice search (which maybe coming as the API for microphone access was recently released.) And Gaming on the Pre actually far outstrips Android. Who'dathunkit?You're game statement may be true (I'm not much of a gamer but the few I've played were just as good as on the Pre). On the app front in general, I'd say you haven't looked. No offense. The Android Market is chuck full of good stuff. Heck, I even have an app installed that turns my phone into a wireless keyboard and mouse for my HTPC. The few times I jump out of media center to watch a hulu show or two no longer requires me to access my real keyboard and mouse (which remain hidden to prevent clutter in my entertainment center).

5. Music Player: all of the music players I have tried in Android PALE in comparison to Music Player (Remix) 2.0. I've asked DanPLC if he plans to port to Android...I hope he does, because he will make a boatload of cash if his player hits the Android market.That's simply because DanPLC is one heck of a developer. I don't count this as a limitation of Android unless Android lacks features that would allow such an app to be developed.

6. Universal Search: Android's search is more powerful. But I still don't use it as much to find out quick things on the go like i did with my Pre. I could pull out the pre and have an answer to something faster than folk on a computer could go to google and figure it out. The Epic...just isn't there yet. but Android DOES bring back more kind of results, and gives more choices as to what it brings back.

I think there are a few other things, but I can't think of them right now.

There are some things that I will miss if I DO switch back to webOS.

1. the Hardware. The Epic feels, and looks good. I now know why people on this forum want to put webOS on it.

2. Voice Search and input: I can "text" while driving because the thing actually understands my voice.

3. Useful camera. I can actually take pics and video without the app lagging for minutes at a time.
    Update: I see Brian Mantis mentioned the app I was referring to. K9. Simple name, not sure why I couldn't remember it. Must be the getting old thing.
    Thanks Brain_Mantis,

I do use K-9 mail and it does help.

Gaming is getting better on Android, but I really haven't gotten used to the fact that Android doesn't save my place. (if I get a text while playing angry birds, I have to open the game back again, because Android closed it to make things runs smoother.)

Thanks for the heads up on the music player. I'll check it out.

NNB
    Thanks Taharka,

Re: Multitasking: b. Multitasking: Android probably handles its multi-tasking better on an OS standpoint, BUT when I close out of something to the homescreen I find myself searching for the best way to get back to it. I know that I can just "hold home" but that is unintuitive after using the cards metaphor.If it were webOS, you'd patch that feature. I say, do the same with Android (but in Android's case, it means installing other apps that give your better task switching.

I have tried a few other launcher and home screen apps. Non have been perfect, but I haven't stopped searching.

This is not true. There is only "a good chance" of this happening on memory starved devices. I'm not saying it may never happen, but saying there is a good chance of it is misleading. If resources are available, Android will leave your current app alone when you switch to another. Even when resources aren't available, there is a specific set of rules that it follows before "deciding that an app needs to be closed".

It's true for me on my Samsung Epic 4g running dk28. Maybe it's not supposed to do that, but it does.

I thought there were apps that do this. It's not a preference of mine so I haven't looked in a while but I thought there was at least one mail client that did this. Can't remember the name, sorry, but it has a dog and envelop for an icon I think. (I remember not liking the icon, lol)

I think you are thinking of K9 mail. I have used it.

a. I miss messages since Android seems to only show one notification at a time on the main screen.Huh? You get notification icons in the top bar. When you bring down the notification shade, they are all listed there and scrollable. What do you mean you only see one?

I wrote this a while ago. (and copy pasted here). You are right. I don't remember what i was getting at.

4. Apps: Maybe I haven't looked enough, but there aren't many apps I need that I can't find here with the exception of apps for voice search (which maybe coming as the API for microphone access was recently released.) And Gaming on the Pre actually far outstrips Android. Who'dathunkit?You're game statement may be true (I'm not much of a gamer but the few I've played were just as good as on the Pre). On the app front in general, I'd say you haven't looked. No offense. The Android Market is chuck full of good stuff. Heck, I even have an app installed that turns my phone into a wireless keyboard and mouse for my HTPC. The few times I jump out of media center to watch a hulu show or two no longer requires me to access my real keyboard and mouse (which remain hidden to prevent clutter in my entertainment center).

No offense taken. I do look through the catalog quite frequently. Even more so now that I can see it in the browser and I do see (and try) some really cool stuff. I guess I haven't found my "Killer app" as they say.

5. Music Player: all of the music players I have tried in Android PALE in comparison to Music Player (Remix) 2.0. I've asked DanPLC if he plans to port to Android...I hope he does, because he will make a boatload of cash if his player hits the Android market.That's simply because DanPLC is one heck of a developer. I don't count this as a limitation of Android unless Android lacks features that would allow such an app to be developed.

His use of notifications to navigate in Music Remix 2.0 seems to be stymied by the lack of interactions in the Notification center.

I appreciate your responses. I am working to make Android better for me, and I am definitely not hating the system. I just think webOS works better for me. And it probably would work better for alot of the Pre faithful who have been sticking it out so long.

NNB
    Thanks Brain_Mantis,

I do use K-9 mail and it does help.

Gaming is getting better on Android, but I really haven't gotten used to the fact that Android doesn't save my place. (if I get a text while playing angry birds, I have to open the game back again, because Android closed it to make things runs smoother.)

Thanks for the heads up on the music player. I'll check it out.

NNB
    I'd say there is an issue with your device. I just tried this with my evo and angry birds was paused exactly where I left it. I did two tests. One where I get an incoming message while playing and one where I jump to the phone app and then come back to Angry Birds. In both cases, Angry Birds was right were I left it. In fact, with the text message, the app paused in the middle of a fling and picked right back up to finish off the havoc I was causing.

You may want to check to see if you have installed poorly designed app that has gone rogue on your system. What you are experiencing is not the norm for a high-end device.
    His use of notifications to navigate in Music Remix 2.0 seems to be stymied by the lack of interactions in the Notification center.
    I'd say another look is warranted then. When you tap a notification it sends an intent to your app and your app can respond to that intent. So some interaction is possible. Also, widgets can be used rather than notifications for this sort of interaction.
    It's true for me on my Samsung Epic 4g running dk28. Maybe it's not supposed to do that, but it does.
    Is dk28 a custom rom? I haven't gotten into the rooting thing yet. I can say that this behavior is not normal for a high-end device. Maybe there is an issue with that ROM (if it's a ROM) or a rogue app?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Is dk28 a custom rom? I haven't gotten into the rooting thing yet. I can say that this behavior is not normal for a high-end device. Maybe there is an issue with that ROM (if it's a ROM) or a rogue app?
    It isn't custom, it is a stock OTA froyo that leaked out and was then rescinded by Sprint/samsung. I was going to take it off the device, but haven't looked at how to do it really. It loaded in by itself, but all ways to get it off that I've seen involve Odin, and custom flashing. I haven't had time to get into that yet.

But with the issues you just told me AREN'T regular, I might look into it again. If I can get my Epic to work how you are saying, I'll be much happier!

nnb
    I'd say another look is warranted then. When you tap a notification it sends an intent to your app and your app can respond to that intent. So some interaction is possible. Also, widgets can be used rather than notifications for this sort of interaction.
    I leave this to your judgement. I consume apps...I unfortunately don't have the know how to create them.

I did write DanPLC a PM a while ago telling him there is opportunity in the Android market. I hope the recent issues with webOS don't drive him there permanently though.

nnb
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    5. I dunno, i LLOVE this music player: https://market.android.com/details?i...oplayer.unlock
    Yeaaaaah. This is pretty awesome!

NNB
    I leave this to your judgement. I consume apps...I unfortunately don't have the know how to create them.

I did write DanPLC a PM a while ago telling him there is opportunity in the Android market. I hope the recent issues with webOS don't drive him there permanently though.

nnb
    I can say one thing. Where ever he goes, he'll make some cash. The guy is just gifted.
    As much as I love webOS, I think right about now Android sounds a little better to all of us lol

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I can say one thing. Where ever he goes, he'll make some cash. The guy is just gifted.
    I'll add this...no offense to Music 2.0 Remix....from my time with his fist creation to the youtube videos i've seen of it...he did a hell of a job.

If he ever wants to create an Android app i'll be first in line to check it out.