Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    With Nokia hardware backing MS, there are three huge forces of manufacturing on smartphone area for 1) iphone (cult-like) 2) android OS (multiple mfrs) 3) WP7 (multiple mfrs). With only one company pushing the webOS, things look like RIM. webOS and RIM are also runs right now
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Do you think that Nokia+MS will push webOS out of the market
    From the looks of things, I'd say that it's HP+Palm that will push webOS out of the market.
    I have a feeling HP is going to continue to sell PCs and printers regardless of whether they have webOS on them :-p
    I think giving seasons of the year as release windows is pretty effective at pushing yourself out of the market.
    MSFT has made deals to try to ensure the success of WP7 that HP apparently didn't think to make for webOS(unless they're in the process), so I say it's a good possibility. At least for now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WP7 sucks. Nokia sucks. Together = SUCCESS!!! Not. Windows Phone 7 looks to be the odd OS out at this point, and Nokia is absolutely desperate at this point.
    You really think WP7, with a vibrant app ecosystem and OEMS like LG, Samsung, and Nokia developing handsets that run it, is going to be the odd OS out? Really?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    If WP7 really actually sucked, noone would buy it. Same for Nokia. Be realistic.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You really think WP7, with a vibrant app ecosystem and OEMS like LG, Samsung, and Nokia developing handsets that run it, is going to be the odd OS out? Really?
    Very possible. For a few reasons:

WP7 costs money to license; Android doesn't.

WP7 is still very immature, and the ecosystem isn't "vibrant."

LG, Samsung, and HTC all develop for Android, with WP7 really just a small side project.

Nokia will almost assuredly continue work on MeeGo, their next gen OS. After WP7 has served its purpose, MeeGo can replace it when it is ready.

So yes, Microsoft was late. Sales have been lacking thus far, and I'm sure they are starting to worry. They've spent probably close to a couple billion on the development, partnerships, and advertising campaigns for WP7, and they haven't seen much in return as far as customers.

Think about it this way: perhaps there's a reason why CES had so many phones running Android, yet none were running WP7.
    Have you seen the leaked memo from Nokia's CEO? Meego is all but dead.

I'm not entirely convinced WP7 will make much of a mass market dent but you can't deny Microsoft is doing a lot of things right. They have, what, over 8000 apps in the first 4 months? If I had to guess, I'd say WP7 will probably have a far better year than webOS.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I think MS will switch to all Nokia hardware to get away from all the "looks like an android" devices.
    I love Nokia hardware, always have. This will be (very) interesting to see how it plays out. WP7 on Nokia devices could be very successful.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I think it's the start of the end for Nokia, who will get swallowed over time by MS. HP will still be around to watch.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Hello guys. Just registered here. Current N900 user. Just wanted to add my $0.02 on this topic.

Let me tell you: A LOT of people from the maemo community are pretty much tearing their hair over the WP7 news. That news was pretty much the obituary of MeeGo. They will release a new phone, and probably forget about it immediately afterwards. Me, I can't put myself through this again (the EXACT same thing happened with the N900). I'll keep my phone until it starts falling apart, and then I'll probably come over to you guys with a pre3. I suspect quite a lot of maemo guys will do the same. After a quick scroll through the fora I was impressed at the homebrew community.

The WP7 OS is still very immature, with a lot of core functionality missing outside the US (like Zune market/ Pass), and Nokia just alienated their Qt dev community, just as it was starting to get on its feet. Meanwhile, HP has released some extremely impressive new products. I'd say that you guys don't have a lot to worry about.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    WP7 sucks. Nokia sucks. Together = SUCCESS!!! Not. Windows Phone 7 looks to be the odd OS out at this point, and Nokia is absolutely desperate at this point.

And with all of that, Nokia is still the world's biggest handset maker and regardless of the OS is known for turning out quality hardware. If you think that anyone at HP (or any of the OSes) is simply going "man they suck, no biggie", I think you are mistaken.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And with all of that, Nokia is still the world's biggest handset maker and regardless of the OS is known for turning out quality hardware. If you think that anyone at HP (or any of the OSes) is simply going "man they suck, no biggie", I think you are mistaken.
    Indeed. Nokia are the complacent company in this deal. MS have a history of screwing over large companies they have alliances with - just ask IBM.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Indeed. Nokia are the complacent company in this deal. MS have a history of screwing over large companies they have alliances with - just ask IBM.
    Sure but the problem for HP is it's going to make it more difficult to become 5th placed OS. I know the US is different but in the rest of the world (believe it or not), a lot of people will be more convinced by a w7 handset because it says "Nokia" on it.

Having said that, how far out are we from the first handset? A year?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Wow, as the details come out - a brutal admission of failure from Nokia which amounts to "our OSes suck, we know they suck, we can't fix them in less than years, so we will not bother".

Sad that Meego is now simply some sort of "project to learn from".
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Having said that, how far out are we from the first handset? A year?
    Well that will be telling. Nokia have the resources to get something to market really quickly, but do they have the will, not at the top, but in the engine room of the corporation?

The smartphone market is changing fast, and if they do an HP and fanny about for a year who knows what the competition will have.

Microsoft are the winners in this deal - they get publicity and credibility for little cost. They may well get Nokia for peanuts, in the fullness of time.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    These two diagrams (from Nokia announcement) nail the lid on Symbian - it's a dead platform:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast