Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    If you look at the top 100 fortune 500 companies you will see HP is number10 on the list while microsoft is 'ike 36 lol and nokia not listed . I wonder who is doing the best right now ? And if micro soft + nokia could even try to stop HP . Not ! Also walmart is #1 on the list and HP and walmart work together to ditribute HP products !! You just try and stop HP webOS lol it is not going to happen , ever !

http://www.google.com/m/url?channel=...Whq1wd0zcSISqQ

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Omg, r we still talking about how big hp is and that automatically make them success in the phone market? Didnt u see what they produced pre3 which is barely compatible in current market and it will be release sometime in summer.
    This is like Michael Jordan is the best player in basketball but how did he performed in baseball? And he loves golf, but do you think he will ever reach tiger's ability? Never
    If you look at the top 100 fortune 500 companies you will see HP is number10 on the list while microsoft is 'ike 36 lol and nokia not listed . I wonder who is doing the best right now ? And if micro soft + nokia could even try to stop HP . Not ! Also walmart is #1 on the list and HP and walmart work together to ditribute HP products !! You just try and stop HP webOS lol it is not going to happen , ever !
    I'm not talking shear size I'm talking reach . The man with the longer arms has better reach . And webOS will be om a bunch of other stuff besides phones . So that being said people will get the phone to have the connectability between their phones and printers toasters watches tablets laptops refrigerators tv's whatever lol . It will be so easy they can't turn it down . That's where tap to share comes in !
    This must explain why HP is so dominant in the smartphone industry now, and why their tablets have set the standard for the last decade. You see, they have been in both these markets for a very long time, and they have been big, with lots of reach for a very long time. How has their great success in these areas managed to fly under the radar? Or could it be that your logic has a teeny, tiny flaw?
    I believe that there is room for the WM7/Nokia products, along with the iOS devices, Android, RIM (yep, they will survive, I believe) AND WebOS.

Each of the above platforms offer something unique and special to the users, and, in case you havent been paying attention to the posts on this and other forums:

One size does NOT fit all.

There is a HUGE worldwide market of consumers who will migrate from a dumbphone to a smartphone of one type or another. The world pupulation is about 6+ billion people, and of that, 3.5 billion have mobile phones.

Of them I believe that only .5 billlion have smartphones, worldwide (last count was 2 years ago and 250 million, so Im guestimating here).

So, while everyone is so quick to talk about who will push whom out of the market, you have all forgotten to focus on the most important factor:

The incredibly HUGE size of the market.

There is lots of room for the above players to all do very, VERY well - that's why HP is in it, and MSFT and Apple and, yes, even Google, even though they arent "smartphone" payers per se - they indirectly benefit from the use of thier free open source OS on smartphones.

Just sayin.. focusing on the really relevant aspects of the market is what is key here.

BTW,

MSFT has ALWAYS been threatened by any way that their control of the desktop could be threatened. REmember the "browser wars" of the mid 90's - Netscape vs IE? Their fear that apps would become browser-based through the internet had them scrambling for control...

Well, the same here - the dumbphone metamorphisized into a smartphone - a really small, mobile and powerful computing device in your hands with its own unique ecosystem that MSFT doesn't own - and this has bred the slate/pad - only a step away from the real desktop PC work station, where they own a 90% world market share control.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    The Symbian engineers had a "walk out" that they used their flexible hours over.

I mean, their jobs are in serious jeporady and its for "saving the company"...it must suck for them...but thats corporate life.

It makes sense the stock will drop...a transitional year with no no products that fall in line with the new plan?
    Another N900 user here. And I must say also that I'm glad I hung on to my N95 until the N900 finally hit the shelves. I'm enjoying the freedom to do what I want without the fear of bricking it completely.

Although I can't help thinking Nokia has made things worse for itself. Not in a sense that they will definitely go down the pan, but they'll have a harder time picking up their feet again with just one single O/S. The different versions of Symbian made it possible for almost everyone to own a mobile phone. Be it a ten-a-penny Symbian 4 device or the top notch Maemo/MeeGo or whatever handset. I don't think WP7 as the sole O/S is going to provide for that. Symbian was Nokia's bread and butter, it provided the revenue for it's R&D. Now they've thrown Symbian out of the boat to save it from sinking, they've got very little for R&D and I don't think M$ will be too willing to keep bailing them out without turning round at one point and saying "Hey Nokia, I think it's time we took over".
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123