5 2.35%
  • No (other)

34 15.96%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    [HURTPALMFANBOYRANT]

I bought a Pre in 2009 for the following reasons:

*The (then-recently) demo'd Flash Player was due out "Soon" in 2009 (lol)

*Backwards compatibility with Palm OS classic apps with Motionapps. (LOL)

*Sprint would be the debut-carrier for WebOS devices (LOOOOL!)

Then Palm took all these things and one by one crushed them, devoured them, and then spit all the broken, wet pieces all over my face.

What reason do I have to stay? WebOS is awesome indeed, but not only has Sprint completely abandoned it (or vice versa), now I'm being told WebOS 2.0 won't even be pushed to my device.

Pre3 is redundant to the Pre 2- it's just a hardware facelift to an old 2008 design. People want bigger displays these days. I was hoping for an EVO-sized, 4G WiMAX Sprint WebOS device, and instead we get a rehash of a Pre, and, wait for it - A COOL NEW TWEEN PHONE! WOO! THE VEER! MAN ALL THE KIDS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL WILL BE JEALOUUUS! It will flop, like the KIN, probably because they look the same. Why is Palm designing new phones on old phones that already failed and lost money?

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? (Or rather, ARE they thinking?)

Oh, and good job to HP completely dissolving the Palm brand I've supported for years. I might abandon WebOS for the sheer fact it will no longer be a "Palm" phone

I feel SO STUPID for investing all this money in apps onto a platform that treats me like second-hand trash.

[/HURTPALMFANBOYRANT]

If those dolts can at least release a version of WebOS 2.x (or 3.x? 4? Why not skip to WebOs 5, HP?) for my original Pre, then I might forgive one or two of their bumbles.

"In coming months" Yeah, right.
    I'll keep using my Pres till my 4 batteries are all done. Then re-evaluate my needs.

As of now iPhone OS and Android (the right paths some consider) doesn't answer that.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I have been eligible for upgrade for two years with Sprint. I will at least keep my Pre until something decent comes out on Sprint.

Maybe if their friggin' "NINTENDO DS ANDROID PHONE" was actually 4G I could have bought that.

Do companies actually research things or just pump out trendy, hipster products and pay they sell?
    I'm staying with WebOS, my contract doesn't end until November and unlike most of the downer posters on this site, my phone did not magically get worse with today's announcements.
    how about a maybe in that poll
    im staying with webOS even if i have to go to verizon
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I really believe that sprint will launch webos phones this year. I think they need to say that.

assuming that is true for a moment, the hardware is AMAZING. Big challenge is to ship them while they are still ahead of the others. The Pre3 will be a top seller if they can get it shipped.
    you know what? I'd like to totally change what I said before. I read more specs, let myself calm down a bit and watched some hands on videos, and I'm pretty stoked. From what I understand, there is a front facing camera? And it has the same screen size as an iphone. I would have liked to have hdmi out, but it's not that big of a deal. Yeah, it may not stand up spec wise to the iphone 5, but I think the pre 3 may be perfect for me. Although a 32gb version would be good.
    yeah thats the problem they are not going to ship until summer time lol thats a joke with my phone now falling apart !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    staying...was mostly pleased by today...and think more is to come...this is just the beginning
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I don't understand the "will ship in coming weeks" comment if they're going to let their hardware sit for 4-6 months. I guess TECHNICALLY summer is in "the coming weeks" just a lot of "coming weeks"
    71 leaving.....62 staying

at time of post

I am leaving because I wanted a wimax phone the moment wimax became available in Houston (mid last year).

I was waiting on todays announcement.....boy was i disappointed.

Looking at evo and epic to get my 4G on. Probably going to force me to develop for android instead of webos...sorry guys.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    71 leaving.....62 staying

at time of post

I am leaving because I wanted a wimax phone the moment wimax became available in Houston (mid last year).

I was waiting on todays announcement.....boy was i disappointed.

Looking at evo and epic to get my 4G on. Probably going to force me to develop for android instead of webos...sorry guys.
    If you're considering the epic I would recommend you to the evo shift which is more powerful with better battery life than both of those.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    If HPalm can muster a Pre 3 to Sprint by Summer, I will probably just get that
    This has left a bad taste in my mouth, and it's damn hard to see how they could do this to the people who took a chance on webos
    You know that old saying; dont go away mad, just go away? Well, Im leaving webOS for an Android phone and trying not to be bitter about it, but it is hard.

In the last year and a half, my wife and I have been on the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon networks. We have owned:

1- Gen 1 iPhone
    1-Moto Q Global Windows Phone
    2-HTC Heroes
    1-Samsung Fascinate
    3-Palm Pres with Sprint
    3-Palm Pre+ with Verizon.

My wife was in love with her iPhone and I practically had to threaten divorce to get her to leave AT&T, but in the end she agreed.

We liked Android, but the hero left a bit to be desired (the HTC Sense UI is awesome though), and we finally landed on the Palm Pre.

I was hooked and the wife liked it too. In the end, Sprints coverage in our area did us in. The coverage was so bad in fact that Sprint let us out of our contract early.

Next Up Palm Pre+ with Verizon, and for awhile it was fun, Palm was releasing webOS updates on a regular basis, and I was customizing the hell out of our phones, then the happiness went away.

Despite Verizons punk move with the GPS/NAV, people could hear us now! But, at the end of the day we were unsatisfied with our phones.

My wife was driving me nuts with the when is the iPhone coming to Verizon questions like every day. Meanwhile Im saying soon the Pre 2 with webOS is coming and then things will be better.

Well she got her wish! My early to bed and early to rise wife got up at 2:00 AM to pre-order the iPhone 4 on Verizon and she is happier than a pig in you know.

I have Apple roots dating back to the IIe and lets just say for many rational and yes, irrational reasons I dont like Apple or Steve Jobs.

But I almost bit and ordered up an iPhone for myself. At a super bowl party the subject came up and my buds there (sporting Droid Xs and a couple of HTC EVOs), begged me not to. The guru who used to sport a Pre suggested I look into the HTC Thunderbolt. I did and I got giddy but then I though thats how I was when I first got the Pre, so I stopped and really thought about what I was looking for and why I was unhappy with my current situation (a Pre+ on Verizon)

The Quest for Convergence

I have a lot of gadgets and like most everyone else think it would be nice if I could consolidate many of the items into one. I am also lucky enough to have a job I love, one that gives me a lot of time alone and a fair amount of travel.

1. First and foremost the cell phone should be a communication device. It should have great call quality on a solid network. Text messaging and integrated email are a must, and as such a good keyboard either physical or on screen is a key requirement. On the Verizon network the Pre+ worked well as a phone. But after update 1.4 something the keyboard went to pot and, has never come right. How hard is this Palm? What does it say about a company that would not make this a priority? While I did not mind the size of the Pre the screen size for me did not lend itself to good on screen typing.

2. Next up a good consistent mobile internet experience. Having such provides instant access to a variety of information both professional and personal. Yea I learned to live without flash, but really did not like doing it. Again this is a place where Pre keyboard issues left me wanting.

3. GPS there has been volumes written about this, so I will just sum it up like this - Pre GPS with Sprint was fantastic, on Verizon, not so much.

4. Solid multimedia capabilities + Gigs of storage = on the go entertainment without carrying all my toys everywhere. The screen, 16 gigs of storage and music app (remix) were fine. When I plugged a line out cable into my phone to hook it up to my vehicles AUX jack the speaker would shut down for a day, and I could not fix it. After this happened three or four times I just stopped trying and started carrying my MP3 Player with me. Videos were okay I guess.

5. Well designed and implemented applications on solid well built hardware round out a smartphone. With webOS this is a mixed bag. There are some really great apps out there, but there is also some simple stuff that just was not done No Voice Recorder WTF?

6. Games, customizations, rooting, etc. nice to have but not deal killers for me.

So with this in mind I pre-ordered a HTC Thunderbolt from Best Buy, and waited for the 9th in hopes that HP/Palm would show me why I should stay.

The Pre3 looks nice and is specd about the same as other phones due out this year. I owned six PREs in the last year, and I know that some on you owned more than that. Stuck with the Pre when the sharks circled to snap up Palm.

How does HP/PALM thank us? No webOS 2.0 for existing devices. Which would help us wait until the Pre3 drops.

HERE IS MY FINGER (THE MIDDLE ONE) HP/PALM IM OUT! MY WAY OF SAYING YOURE WELCOME!

There are things I will miss about webOS multitasking and notifications are close to perfection.

I will be saving up to buy a webOS pad after some other sucker has helps HP/PALM workout all the bugs and crap, but doubt I will use webOS for a phone anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    If you're considering the epic I would recommend you to the evo shift which is more powerful with better battery life than both of those.
    that's what i meant....thanks for correction.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    I'd go Win7 for Biz reasons and because of the slow Palm release BUT Win7 is even less visible on the Sprint Horizon. Seriously considering the Roid now.

Will get the Pad unless Honeycomb wins my heart or gets here sooner ... need Flash for Biz.

I REALLY REALLY hope they make some suprise announcements soon to fix some of what now appear to be bogus and/or misleading statements ...

- release within weeks of announcement ????????? that means less than a month to me
    - really seem to have shafted developers and hardcore fans by not updating to 2.0 ?????

What gives? - that is not good marketing - even if they can technically wiggle out of these SNAFUs the fact that there is so much beef here on PC is because they have screwed up ...
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    While the new hardware is nice, this wasn't the blow-out that everyone was hoping for. It merely makes webOS hardware competitive. That's good, but it only gets them part of the way to be really competitive with iOS and Android. What happened to the big cloud infrastructure that people were speculating about? Tens of gigs of cloud storage? No Netflix, no Amazon Video on demand, no products (except the Veer on GSM, so if you have Sprint or Verizon you're SOL) to actually buy for 4 to 7 months?

Meanwhile the Playbook will come out, the iPad 2, iPhone 5, the Xoom, and an unknown number of Android tablets and phones, and all of a sudden the hardware that was competitive will be not so competitive when it first comes out.

Oh yeah, no pricing or carrier information? Apothekar saying they won't announce anything until it's practically ready to ship?

I'm just tired of all the waiting and vague timelines, "in coming months, etc.,etc." Now as a Sprint Pre owner I won't even be able to get webOS 2.0 most likely. My phone contract is up on June 6 (since I bought the Pre on launch day) so we'll see where things lie by then, but right now things are looking pretty bleak in my eyes. I love the community, I love the OS, I love the people at Palm who work tirelessly, I just think that HP's corporate culture isn't innovative enough, or isn't managing things properly or they simply can't compete with the entrenched market forces, but whatever the cause, my confidence in the future of webOS is probably at one of it's lowest points since the dark days of about a year ago and the proceeding months. It's ironic that this would happen on the day that HP was getting everyone all excited about. Maybe that was part of the problem. Such high expectations they were bound to dissapoint.

I have no idea where I'll go after this, or even if I'll move on to another platform, but it does seem just as likely that I'll move on right now than staying...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I guess I am leaving too.. reluctantly... No slab, no OTA update for my Pre-

I held on as long as I could and even though I love WebOS I feel it will probably go the way of OS2...
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast