Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    There are more webos apps than playbook apps mate.
    There are more blackberry apps (20000+) on the cellphone than webos apps (5000+) on the cellphone. The 4000 figure is apps that are specifically designed for the playbook that will be available on launch.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Mighty funny that the HP Pad's mail app looks like a straight port of the iPad. I wonder if it has pinch to zoom, and how about that form factor. As another mentioned, if you have an old iPad case lying around, you can you it on the Touchpad.

    To the OP, do you already have a BB? If not have you compared what is possible with a BB and without a BB with the Playbook? Don't just look at the interface. For a new device running a new OS, and whose latest OS on the BB has not met rave success, me personally, I would not even consider the playbook. It's not in the "cards". LOL
    I disagree, it doesn't look like a straight port of iPad's email as iPAd's email does not have 3 panels. It only has 2. It is an evolution of Palm Pre's email (which I have to say is better than iphone) expanded to a bigger screen.

    When they showed Enyo for the very first time in November, they showed the new email app which used the same binary for the phone and the touchpad (referred to as bigger screen devices at the time). The said that for the phone only one pane/panel is visible at any time (requiring forward and back gestures to move between panes/panels) but on the touch pad you can see all three panes/panels if you so desire.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There are more blackberry apps (20000+) on the cellphone than webos apps (5000+) on the cellphone. The 4000 figure is apps that are specifically designed for the playbook that will be available on launch.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Playbook$ $is$ $NOT$ $backwards$ $compatible$ $with$ $BBOS6$. $It$ $uses$ $a$ $completely$ $different$ $operating$ $system$ $and$ $apps$ $are$ $not$ $transferable$ $easily$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $reason$ $they$ $bought$ $DataViz$'$s$ $BlackBerry$ $division$.

    Also, this is why rumors have been circling around since Playbook's intro that it might get android App compatibility as Android Aps run in avirtual machine which QNX can also run. They will, however, NOT get android market support which is going to make it not as useful.
  4. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It is pretty confusing but it seems playbook may not have any native PIM apps at all i.e. email, calendar, agenda. It will get all of that when you bring a blackberry phone near it (apparently it streams it). So, you essentially need to buy two devices for it to work the way you are used to.
    Just think of it like how Microsoft Outlook handles web email accounts --- by way of a plug-in called "Outlook Hotmail Connector" which is a small 3mb plug-in you download from Microsoft. 99% of the code is already in the Outlook program.

    99% of the code is already in the Playbook. The only thing that is missing is "Blackberry Balance" which is in beta testing and will be out in 2 months --- which allows enterprises to segregate your work data from your personal data and prevent you from copy/paste your work stuff and email forward to a personal email account.
  5. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Playbook$ $is$ $NOT$ $backwards$ $compatible$ $with$ $BBOS6$. $It$ $uses$ $a$ $completely$ $different$ $operating$ $system$ $and$ $apps$ $are$ $not$ $transferable$ $easily$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $reason$ $they$ $bought$ $DataViz$'$s$ $BlackBerry$ $division$.

    Also, this is why rumors have been circling around since Playbook's intro that it might get android App compatibility as Android Aps run in avirtual machine which QNX can also run. They will, however, NOT get android market support which is going to make it not as useful.
    RIM bought DataViz's Blackberry division because they are (probably) giving away the office apps for free on the Playbook.

    We are also talking about vague legacy webos app support on webos 3.0 devices --- and that's not even accounting that the resolution is vastly different on a tablet.
  6. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboomaboom View Post
    why the Playbook has a gesture bar and Touchpad doesn't boggles my mind!!!! I want a gesture bar Palm/HP!! what are you doing?!
    There is no need for back gesture as all built in apps use properly whole screen estate. Thats much better thing then going back and forth all the time.

    Only gesture I would miss is switching apps one. Now we have to minimize all the time instead.

    I want real gestures though like shortcuts to certain things.
  7. Mr Bigs's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    715 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It is pretty confusing but it seems playbook may not have any native PIM apps at all i.e. email, calendar, agenda. It will get all of that when you bring a blackberry phone near it (apparently it streams it). So, you essentially need to buy two devices for it to work the way you are used to.

    I am going to be watching this closely as otherwise it seems like a great device. It may have copied a lot of features from webOS but that doesn't make it bad it makes it better
    <Edited by Moderator> The Playbook is a standalone tablet that can interact with a BB phone. The PB has it's own pin # for BBM.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/28/2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: rude comment deleted
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    <Edited by Moderator> The Playbook is a standalone tablet that can interact with a BB phone. The PB has it's own pin # for BBM.
    I did mention that it was very confusing. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $It$ $may$ $have$ $its$ $own$ $pin$ $number$ $but$ $for$ $all$ $intents$ $and$ $purposes$ $your$ $office$ $email$/$calendar$/$agenda$/$BBM$ $will$ $not$ $be$ $available$ $on$ $the$ $playbook$ $UNTIL$ $you$ $bring$ $a$ $Blackberry$ $phone$ $near$ $it$. $They$ $said$ $that$ $this$ &$quot$;$feature$&$quot$; $will$ $allow$ $multiple$ $people$ $to$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $device$ $and$ $nothing$ ($data$ $from$ $the$ $aforementioned$ $features$) $is$ $stored$ $on$ $the$ $playbook$ $just$ $on$ $the$ $blackberry$ $phone$.

    I think this is a convoluted way of doing things, they could have implemented profiles to make things secure (which everyone is clamoring for on iPad anyway).

    If my understanding is incorrect then I apologize however, I think they need to explain things more clearly if this is so confusing. A tablet needs to have really good PIM functionality out of the box.

    I was not able to find the document I had read but it has been a while since I read about playbook. A quick search found the following video.
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/video-emai...d-rim-playbook
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/28/2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: quoted text edited
  9. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I did mention that it was very confusing. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $It$ $may$ $have$ $its$ $own$ $pin$ $number$ $but$ $for$ $all$ $intents$ $and$ $purposes$ $your$ $office$ $email$/$calendar$/$agenda$/$BBM$ $will$ $not$ $be$ $available$ $on$ $the$ $playbook$ $UNTIL$ $you$ $bring$ $a$ $Blackberry$ $phone$ $near$ $it$. $They$ $said$ $that$ $this$ &$quot$;$feature$&$quot$; $will$ $allow$ $multiple$ $people$ $to$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $device$ $and$ $nothing$ ($data$ $from$ $the$ $aforementioned$ $features$) $is$ $stored$ $on$ $the$ $playbook$ $just$ $on$ $the$ $blackberry$ $phone$.

    I think this is a convoluted way of doing things, they could have implemented profiles to make things secure (which everyone is clamoring for on iPad anyway).
    It's not a convoluted way of doing things, but it is a convoluted way by RIM on explaining what they are planning to do. Remember both iphones and androids phones were caught on "lying" about their secure exchange policy --- it's far too easy to say "they could have" done this or done that.

    The Playbook is going to have its own PIN, but they are not going to enable it --- until they get the "blackberry balance" software done. They want to be able to selectively remote wipe the Playbook's work data while leaving your family pictures intact. Once they got that done, it's not that hard to give you a small plug-in so that you can have your hotmail work on the Playbook's native email/calender app.
  10. #50  
    The playbook will not have PIM without a backberry at launch and therefore will not have PIM for me. This kills any inclination I have of getting one at all.

    Honestly, I'd love to see a 7inch WebOS tablet before I finally make up my mind to buy the 10 inch touchpad, the added portability appeals to me, so its not great for magazines, guess what, I dont read magazines.
  11. #51  
    Apparently the playbook doesn't have a gesture area, but the pixels on the bottom of the screen are like the ones on the top of the pre. try swiping downwards from the top of your pre; same thing.

    Also, playbook looks great, but I want my phone and tablet os to be the same, so i'm sticking for webos unless I don't get a pre3. Well, actually I'm not getting a tablet this year, since most with the exception of the ipad2 are a first generation device.
  12. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #52  
    You don't want to even imagine when the Playbook and the Blackberry both running the same OS. By then quad-core tablet and dual-core smartphone will be the norm --- and if you tether the QNX-based Playbook with the QNX-based Blackberry with a fast enough wired connection (like Thunderbolt), it turns into a 6-core machine because QNX can do distributed processing.
  13. #53  
    The problem with this and the Atrix dock is the same that was the Foleo's undoing: Expecting a user to build his entire device portfolio around yours NEVER works, unless you're Apple, in which case your fanbase will talk about nothing but how awesome it is when everything is centralized.

    Which is exactly why HP goes a different route I suppose. Instead of forcing you to use a blackberry if you want to use the playbook, or forcing you to use iTunes and a proprietary cable if you want any truck with Apple, HP lets you use any device on its own if you so choose, but stretches the same UX over all devices and gives the user incentives to use webOS devices alongside each other, i.e. touch-to-share.

    I don't see many non-Blackberry users buying a playbook. I can see more non-Pre users buying a TouchPad.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #54  
    As I said it before, it is a matter of timing and not a convoluted of doing things. By the time the TouchPad is released, Blackberry Balance on the Playbook would be released and the PIN on the Playbook would be enabled --- it is a standalone device.

    The main reason why they are doing the bridge thing right now --- is because the blackberry phone is certified by government agencies and the playbook won't initially be.
  15. #55  
    7" screen for watching video sucks. 7" screen for web surfing sucks. Needing a BB to properly use the Playbook sucks. Either TouchPad or iPad2 for me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions