Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Why are we even bother to compare with iPhone 4? By the time Pre 3 releases, iPhone 5 will be in the market, and probably dozen different Android super phone. Goodluck with increasing market share from 3%.
    true in the sense of it will be old news by then IMO, but not spec wise because theres not much else you can do to a phone thats relevant spec wise to be leaps and bounds over what the Pre 3 is offering. Again heres hoping the summer date was a mistake, and it will come sooner, or they will release these other devices broadway, mansion before then.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I'm disappointed with our community's reaction so I'm going to respond to the OP's of every thread that I disagree with.

Higher resolution is great, but quite frankly its not a deal breaker for me when it comes to a smart phone...A SMART PHONE.

On these small screens, yes even at 4 inches...retina screen resolutions are nothing but eye candy and do nothing to significantly improve the experience.

Is the iPhones screen pretty?...yep, better than my Pre...sure. Am I buying an iPhone cause its got a pretty screen? Hell no....man up WebOS rocks and the Pre 3 is effin smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    true in the sense of it will be old news by then IMO, but not spec wise because theres not much else you can do to a phone thats relevant spec wise to be leaps and bounds over what the Pre 3 is offering. Again heres hoping the summer date was a mistake, and it will come sooner, or they will release these other devices broadway, mansion before then.
    I read one of the post that webOS on Pre 3 is not really ready to release at this point. And he said some of the web sites are not even opening properly. So I believe we won't see this Pre 3 by end of Summer. If they push it early summer, this will be another buggy os, and who ever buy this product, they are going to be a beta tester. I think yesterday announcement was little premature. I really think they just wanted to get into the tablet market, and they wanted to show the their webOS phone can have connect to tablet.
    I truely believe HP bought webOS for tablet, and they are not fully commited to the smartphone market. Look at the products they revealed yesterday, it was just good enough. If they are really serious about the smartphone market, they should've redesigned the phone. it was pre design and we all know that Pre design was big failure.
    3% market share. HP has to do some dramatic change on webOS phone, I doubt they will keep that market share for long time.
    Agreed. Seriously, resolution is a single spec among many, and honestly if you give someone two phones with different pixel densities, most wouldn't know which is which.

Some people get wound up about a particular spec for the sake of pack-leadership, and lose sight of the big picture. There will always be some compromises. To be fair, pixel density may be the thread-starter's deal-breaker spec, but the Pre3 has WebOS! And the screen they gave it isn't the best, but it's really good.
    I read one of the post that webOS on Pre 3 is not really ready to release at this point. And he said some of the web sites are not even opening properly. So I believe we won't see this Pre 3 by end of Summer. If they push it early summer, this will be another buggy os, and who ever buy this product, they are going to be a beta tester. I think yesterday announcement was little premature. I really think they just wanted to get into the tablet market, and they wanted to show the their webOS phone can have connect to tablet.
    I truely believe HP bought webOS for tablet, and they are not fully commited to the smartphone market. Look at the products they revealed yesterday, it was just good enough. If they are really serious about the smartphone market, they should've redesigned the phone. it was pre design and we all know that Pre design was big failure.
    3% market share. HP has to do some dramatic change on webOS phone, I doubt they will keep that market share for long time.
    Yeah and the problem with focusing on tablets is that it is an unknown market. how many people will give up their laptops for a tablet is yet to be seen. Yes apple has had success but that is because they had success to build on in the beginning. I think it is a mistake to ignore the smart phone market as there is room to grow and they have outsold PCs for the first time!! Which is pretty big milestone.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wow, that is so wrong.

They're called universal apps.
    I'll admit, I don't keep extremely up to date daily with iOS stuff. Last I understood iPhone apps could be run on the iPad in ether a small sized version or in an expanded version which is just taking the small one and blowing it up. I also was under the impression iPad designed apps don't work on the iPhone.

Are there universal iPhone apps where the developer literally made a singular app and without any additional changes or coding it works in a fully scalable way on both the iPhone and the iPad? If so, I stand correct and happily so...that's definitely a boon to iOS. But from what I was aware the only way for this was "blowing up" an iPhone app, and every one of those I've seen happen look horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Are there universal iPhone apps where the developer literally made a singular app and without any additional changes or coding it works in a fully scalable way on both the iPhone and the iPad?
    Yup.

It's also pretty simple to port an iOS app to OS X (as we've seen with the flood of iOS apps hitting the Mac App Store).
    I'll admit, I don't keep extremely up to date daily with iOS stuff. Last I understood iPhone apps could be run on the iPad in ether a small sized version or in an expanded version which is just taking the small one and blowing it up. I also was under the impression iPad designed apps don't work on the iPhone.

Are there universal iPhone apps where the developer literally made a singular app and without any additional changes or coding it works in a fully scalable way on both the iPhone and the iPad? If so, I stand correct and happily so...that's definitely a boon to iOS. But from what I was aware the only way for this was "blowing up" an iPhone app, and every one of those I've seen happen look horrible.

Don't worry about how Apple is doing and iPad apps. Maybe at the beginning, people were using iPhone apps on iPad but now iPad has most of the apps for iPad formats. Believe, iPad apps are awsome.
    The Pre 3 is the same resolution as most of the android devices that came out this year. Its odd though they went with that resolution instead of just doubling their original one (much like the iPhone).

I don't think its a big deal...the sharpness of the iPhone 4 is noticeable for sure but its not like my Evo's resolution is straining my eyes.
    Personally, I love the Pre form factor and The Pre 3 only adds to what I already love about it. Now a bigger screen (but not a moster I can no longer holster), way faster processor, more memory, better camera, voice dialing, and the best OS in the world! Throw in the Homebrew Community and I can hardly wait to get my hands on one of these!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

ZOMG!!!! The Droid Bionic and Atrix haven't even caught up with the iPhone 4's resolution, either. They're on 960x540 instead of 960x640. I would never buy one of those fail phones because I really wouldn't be able to read the text, especially the Bionic, which comes with a 4.3" screen because the pixel density will be ****e!

I'm sure I'll get eyestrain trying to read text on the pathetic 256ppi Bionic especially when the pixel density on the almost illegible iPhone4 is 326ppi. Then there is the Pre 3, which actually has IDENTICAL pixel density to the Bionic. How am I supposed to read on that POS?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I have both day 1 Pre (for myself), and my company bought me an Iphone 4 for work. The initial shock and awe for the "retina display" goes away in a week or two, seriously, it's not that big of a deal.

HP Palm needs to work on their software, and I believe Enyo will be a significant part of that. Both iOS and WebOS crashes, slows, jerks, and failed to render pages occasional. More so on the WebOS side. But that's life with any beta product (remember iphone 1?).

But I have to admit, with over 1200 articles on HP Palm the last day, it's nice to be cool again. Right?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Don't worry about how Apple is doing and iPad apps. Maybe at the beginning, people were using iPhone apps on iPad but now iPad has most of the apps for iPad formats. Believe, iPad apps are awsome.
    Oh I know there's a ton of iPad apps. I never doubted that. I just was unaware they got it to a point where a Dev can write one piece of code without a bunch of extra coding involved and that program can run on any iOS device.

The previous poster corrected me, so I stand corrected
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Oh I know there's a ton of iPad apps. I never doubted that. I just was unaware they got it to a point where a Dev can write one piece of code without a bunch of extra coding involved and that program can run on any iOS device.

The previous poster corrected me, so I stand corrected
    Actually the previous poster is wrong, there is extra coding involved. The code can be bundled together as a universal app but it contains specific assets for the iPhone version and different assets for the iPad version (and then other assists for the old 'low resolution' devices). The end user doesn't notice though. However, webOS isn't that far ahead when there are already different versions of apps for Pixi and Pre phones.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Actually the previous poster is wrong, there is extra coding involved. The code can be bundled together as a universal app but it contains specific assets for the iPhone version and different assets for the iPad version (and then other assists for the old 'low resolution' devices). The end user doesn't notice though. However, webOS isn't that far ahead when there are already different versions of apps for Pixi and Pre phones.
    Ah, in which case my statement stands.

it seems, from what I understand of Enyo, you code a single program without needing any extra code. Said program can function on any WebOS 2.0 or greater device be it a tiny smartphone, a medium smartphone, perhaps a large smartphone in time, a tablet, a netbook, a laptop, a desktop, etc. you wouldn't need to write seperate code into your program to make it work on each seperate smart phone type, each seperate tablet size, each seperate computer, etc.

If what you're saying is true rather than what the other person is saying, you DO have to do that for the universal apps. Which goes back to my point of easier development in relation to the scope HP seems to want to go with WebOS where it's on multiple sized phones, multiple sized tablets, multiple sized monitors where as iOS is generally one one sized smartphone and one sized Tablet without a lot of indication that said things are going to change soon (see job's comment about 7" tablets).
    Ah, in which case my statement stands.

it seems, from what I understand of Enyo, you code a single program without needing any extra code. Said program can function on any WebOS 2.0 or greater device be it a tiny smartphone, a medium smartphone, perhaps a large smartphone in time, a tablet, a netbook, a laptop, a desktop, etc. you wouldn't need to write seperate code into your program to make it work on each seperate smart phone type, each seperate tablet size, each seperate computer, etc.

If what you're saying is true rather than what the other person is saying, you DO have to do that for the universal apps. Which goes back to my point of easier development in relation to the scope HP seems to want to go with WebOS where it's on multiple sized phones, multiple sized tablets, multiple sized monitors where as iOS is generally one one sized smartphone and one sized Tablet without a lot of indication that said things are going to change soon (see job's comment about 7" tablets).
    Of course, apps that are malleable enough to run in one iteration on that many form factors and resolutions generally aren't optimized for any of them.
    Well, yeah, you have to create custom assets if you're putting in higher resolution textures and such but things like text, controls, and other UI elements are automatically scaled.
    iPhone doesn't have webOS UI either...

But, I thought Pre 3 had a compass too...

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It is amazing, how I-phone -4 released last year has better resolution than pre-3, not even released now. It is sad. I thought pre-3 would kill dual core motorola Atrix 4G, but sadly H/P is way behind.
    So I phone-4 resolution : 960x 640 in a smaller screen size
    Pre-3, releasing one year after i-phone-4: Bigger screen and smaller resolution: 800x480

We havenot even caught up with iphone-4 from last year, dont have a magnetic compass, dont have gyroscopes.

Pre-3 will be comapred to iPhone-5 as both will be released at the same time. IPhone-5 will most likely have dual core processor too. This is sad, pre-3 cant even compare to iPhone-4 spec wise, how will it fare against iphone-5?
  19.    #79  
    what happens to all the iphone ports of games now? With different resolution, will they appear odd as they are not coded in Enyo
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    iPad 2????

Rumor: iPad 3 Will Have a Retina Display, Larger iPod Touch? - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog

yes Samsung has the best of both worlds...Not many companies can supply the competition, and BE the competition, lol
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast