Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    People seem to forget that this was basically a Tablet event...
    Let's go with this premise.

Great tablet. No release date. You mention an HP Music Store and HP Movie Store, then fail to elaborate. You fail to talk about third party tablet apps aside from Time Magazine and Kindle.

Isn't something missing here?
    I don't get this blending in comment that people keep making. It has been shown that slab style phones are generally successful and while I didn't mind my pre form factor while I had it, a little me too is good in many consumer eyes. Yes to us here who are knowledgeable we might like the non me-too stuff. But how are we going to get more developers if the average consumer is not coming after this phone. I think only keeping the same form factor is a mistake because people will associate it with original pre. Lastly I think it is huge mistake to announce a phone this far in advance!! I think they should have just waited to announce anything they gave away most their secrets and by the time they get anything out they will have very little to distinguish themselves as Apple and Android devices add many of the same features!
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    There will be more phones, in more formats, I'm sure. You'll get your slab, etc. I think it was actually smart of them to first release one where there is an existing gap (small slider). Yeah, I know the kin died miserably, but I think it is a good solution for those carrying a tablet.
    Too bad the only tablets out when the Veer drops will be from competitors.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Gee, certain people in this thread being unimpressed with a Palm announcement.

Color me surprised...for like the 3rd time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let's go with this premise.

Great tablet. No release date. You mention an HP Music Store and HP Movie Store, then fail to elaborate. You fail to talk about third party tablet apps aside from Time Magazine and Kindle.

Isn't something missing here?
    I think they could have had the tablet event later. Probably the phone event in the Spring. Lots to tell here that didn't get mentioned and many dry parts.
    Well I want a Pre 3. That thing looks awesome. The only fail? I want it NOW!

Engadget is doing their hands on and raving about all the new stuff.
    After watching the video on Engadget of the pre 3 in action I do think it is a lust worthy phone and looks quick. But... this in the coming months thing. Most people's interest will have died out far before the "summer"
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    There will be more phones, in more formats, I'm sure. You'll get your slab, etc. I think it was actually smart of them to first release one where there is an existing gap (small slider). Yeah, I know the kin died miserably, but I think it is a good solution for those carrying a tablet.
    In coming months?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Gee, certain people in this thread being unimpressed with a Palm announcement.

Color me surprised...for like the 3rd time.
    I think you mean to say the lack of announcement.

Price?
    Release dates?
    Carriers?
    When current devices will see WebOS 2.1?
    What is the HO Music Store and Movie Store and when are they coming?
    Coming to PCs in what form exactly?
    IMHO, looking back on some comments from the CEO about not being interested in the mobile market, (yes he did withdraw his stmt) seems to me may be more obvious today after reviewing the effort put into the new mobile devices. Dont it seem like it was more to pacify the fan base then it was to grow the fan base......
    Last edited by Wendellp; 02/09/2011 at 02:50 PM.
    I don't really care about the tablet since I won't be using the phone, but if I was considering it, I wouldn"t buy it. 4:3 went ou with the cathode ray tube. I look at people with ipads watching movies with big black bars flanking the top and bottom and realize it's no bigger than my 7" Nook Color. So much wasted screen real estate in an HD media-centric world. No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    ohh yea just in HP to expand webos to pc products.

Nice, a crippled OS with no programs vs. Microsoft the giant, even apple can't beat microsoft at the pc game, biggest reason again apps.
    The days when Microsoft's apps gave them a lock on the PC market are drawing to a close. Apps are moving into the cloud and MS's total market share is being nibbled away from all sides by embedded and mobile devices.

Even if it takes years to make any impact it makes sense for HP to extend the WebOS footprint across all form factors. That will make them the only company with a common user experience across all their devices.
  13.    #73  
    Funny, i wonder when this thing will actually get launched we have been waiting for webos 2.0 for a few months now, not to mention flash for almost a year.

Don't worry guys its comming out any day now means a few months, im scared to imagine what summer means lol

And even if it does come out, what are they comming out with? hey guys we're doing a throwback all the way back to 2009 lol
    HP is now making products that we want with the WebOS we love.

Why is Apple continuously looked upon as #1 for its Technology. Its not that the competition isn't out there making products that are in par or surpass Apple's (Android, Windows...). There are more choices if you decide not to go with Apple. Yet Apple with there iPhone continue to have loyal customers as well as ground breaking sales (Verizon iPhone4).

Why? Because of the simplicity and artistic view Apple protrudes. The iPhone is not your new phone of the month. When a new iPhone is released its a statement not just another iPhone.

To my point...

That's what HP can do. They now own their own phone production.

Palm opened the doors with WebOS but now owned by HP have a marketing company with a customer database that exceeds Apple. They now have an OS that integrates between their products.

Though HP announced that their products won't be released until the summer months (which is a huge bummer with all the hype HP's CEO made) its a start. Yes the iPhone5 may come out in July, but, we are close to having the upper-hand.

We have full multi-tasking, integration between products by a simple touch, a huge company with WebOS as the forefront of their future and community of users just ready to hop on.

Though the Pre3 may be behind the iPhone5 (which really we do not know), its surpassed the iPhone4. Open your eyes... that's a big step for our lovely WebOS phone and now touchpads.

As far as Apps... I have a feeling that the App Catalog will be increasing its number in the next 6 months. Have faith... HP is not gonna sit this one out.
  15. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkatabelo View Post
    Dissapointed. Wanted awesome phone news. Did not get that. I think I am going to android soon. Plus, concerned Verizon is going to continue to cripple GPS, can't stand that.
    And maybe video calling, too. From the footnotes on the Pre3 page:

6. Check with carrier for video calling availability and restrictions.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The days when Microsoft's apps gave them a lock on the PC market are drawing to a close. Apps are moving into the cloud and MS's total market share is being nibbled away from all sides by embedded and mobile devices.

Even if it takes years to make any impact it makes sense for HP to extend the WebOS footprint across all form factors. That will make them the only company with a common user experience across all their devices.
    Yes perfectly said, thats the key the company who can have the same user experience on all devices will win.

But that experience on the PC better compare to windows in functionality if not no one will use it. Again though microsoft has millions of programs webos has non. How many people you think will use WebOS when they can't play any sort of popular game or run for example photoshop.

Yes you can argue that but those things will be ported over, but most likely they won't developers won't want to use their valuable resoruces to a platform with no users.

Until webos gets a large user base, they won't be taking over anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanatiz3 View Post
    That's what HP can do. They now own their own phone production.
    And are somehow slower from announcement to market than Palm.

Palm opened the doors with WebOS but now owned by HP have a marketing company with a customer database that exceeds Apple. They now have an OS that integrates between their products.
    You could say the same about Microsoft. That, in and of itself, is not enough.

Though HP announced that their products won't be released until the summer months (which is a huge bummer with all the hype HP's CEO made) its a start. Yes the iPhone5 may come out in July, but, we are close to having the upper-hand.

We have full multi-tasking, integration between products by a simple touch, a huge company with WebOS as the forefront of their future and community of users just ready to hop on.
    Which is great for people looking to buy a phone AND a tablet at the same time. Not that huge a demographic, I think.

Though the Pre3 may be behind the iPhone5 (which really we do not know), its surpassed the iPhone4. Open your eyes... that's a big step for our lovely WebOS phone and now touchpads.
    With the lower-resolution display, inferior pixel density, vaguely defined content store from the manufacturer, and unknown price, carrier, and release date? Apple stock must be dropping.

As far as Apps... I have a feeling that the App Catalog will be increasing its number in the next 6 months. Have faith... HP is not gonna sit this one out.
    We'll see. They said nothing about it today.
    All I heard was blah blah blah. And no the Pre3 has not surpassed the iphone4. Better display in a form factor the public clamors for. Not to mention its overall dimensions and arguable build quality (antenna jokes aside).

I doubt any developer worth his salt got a chubby during this press conference as he salivated at developing for the awesome display of hardware giving him visions of dollar signs dancing through his head. Someone mentioned appeasing the current customer base and not attracting new ones. Well the new ones are needed to attract developers. It's purely a numbers game and webOS simply doesn't have them unless HP is willing to put a few of those numbers on a check and hand it over to the developers to entice them to develop for the platform. They'll go where the money is....iOS, Android, a little bit with BB and then WP7.

With the latest update of Docs To Go on Android, I can't begin to see something cparable come from Quick Office. And I was worried the BB buy would kill innovation and updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanatiz3 View Post
    HP is now making products that we want with the WebOS we love.

The amazing thing to me is how nothing has changed. HP still hasn't shipped a product. Developers still don't care. The 5 webOS faithful are still saying things will get better. It's like Groundhog Day around here.
    well that made my mind up, ill be staying with my evo until a higher end android device hits on sprint.

so long webos!