1.    #1  
    Nokia Employee memo today:
    Nokia CEO Stephen Elop rallies troops in brutally honest 'burning platform' memo? (update: it's real!)

Excerpts:

"In 2008, Apple's market share in the $300+ price range was 25 percent; by 2010 it escalated to 61 percent. They are enjoying a tremendous growth trajectory with a 78 percent earnings growth year over year in Q4 2010. Apple demonstrated that if designed well, consumers would buy a high-priced phone with a great experience and developers would build applications. They changed the game, and today, Apple owns the high-end range."

"And then, there is Android. In about two years, Android created a platform that attracts application developers, service providers and hardware manufacturers. Android came in at the high-end, they are now winning the mid-range, and quickly they are going downstream to phones under €100. Google has become a gravitational force, drawing much of the industry's innovation to its core..."

"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable..."

"Nokia, our platform is burning."

"We are working on a path forward -- a path to rebuild our market leadership. When we share the new strategy on February 11, it will be a huge effort to transform our company. But, I believe that together, we can face the challenges ahead of us. Together, we can choose to define our future."
    Put Android on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Put Android on it.
    should have bought Palm..

seriously, I cant believe that between HTC, Nokia, and RIM, not one of those ended up buying Palm
    they might adopt wp7 that could be huge
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    considering that the Nokia CEO came from Microsoft and they have some sort of relationship brewing with MS, I think wp7 may be a safe bet.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am going to have to agree with you.
    Maybe they all thought it was too expensive?
    RIM pretty much stole the interface but put a different yet solid framework behind it.
    Nokia should've gone for it whole hog

It probably is also less risky to license than it is to purchase. Too bad HP would not license this out, as weird as that sounds, 'cause to me if Nokia backed it, there would be many international users taking hold of webOS.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post
    considering that the Nokia CEO came from Microsoft and they have some sort of relationship brewing with MS, I think wp7 may be a safe bet.
    Just read speculation on a WP7 site that they're going WebOS!

I suggest this tells us that though Nokia are currently crap, they have the capacity to shake up the market, and so they are still a name that frightens people.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    The timing seems like it might work for a Nokia adoption of webOS. Memo comes out the day before HP event, Nokia having plans for moving forward 2 days after event, hmmm. Coincidence? Probably, but if HP partnered with Nokia to push webOS, it would be the fastest way to grab more worldwide market share. Maybe "think beyond" is to think beyond just HP/Palm devices? Kinda doubt it, but fun to consider.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    THIS from Twitter:

@rahulsood (Rahul Sood)
    #nokia makes some of the best phones on planet earth. this memo is interesting yet telling, heartfelt & honest. wow: Nokia CEO Stephen Elop rallies troops in brutally honest 'burning platform' memo? (update: it's real!) -- Engadget

9 hours ago

Even though he left HP for Microsoft - I think this kid is a genius, and still read all his tweets...
    Not surprising. After using the 5800 for a bit, and a former user of the N810, I knew Nokia was in serious trouble.

Their own fragmentation of their smartphones with both Meego and Symbian^3 made things worse.

It's really sad. The N8 was a brilliant piece of hardware (pentaband WCDMA, who would've thought!!!), but the software really killed it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    See to me, 'Market Leadership' is incommensurable with being simply another 'me too' providers of android handsets so I'm not sure that's what he's thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    should have bought Palm..

seriously, I cant believe that between HTC, Nokia, and RIM, not one of those ended up buying Palm
    HP has more money. I think thats why Palm was sold for 1.5 billion dollars. The other bidders (whoever it might have been) tried to out bid HP and HP decided it was worth as much as it takes.

If Nokia gives up Meebo and goes for Windows Phone 7 that would be a game changer right there.
    Even if they pick a platform, their execution speed is molasses slow right now.

I think people talk Meego or Android or WP7, but honestly, they had a winner with Maemo. It's a great-at-multitasking OS they would essentially own - like WebOS - and it's already running on good hardware like the N900. They've already got Nokia apps like Ovi Maps up and running on it. Just polish it, rebrand it slightly, and blitz the US with a suite of Maemo devices subsidized on all four carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    HP has more money. I think thats why Palm was sold for 1.5 billion dollars. The other bidders (whoever it might have been) tried to out bid HP and HP decided it was worth as much as it takes.

If Nokia gives up Meebo and goes for Windows Phone 7 that would be a game changer right there.
    People say Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7, but their execution speed is about as slow as Nokia's right now. They still haven't released their first update, have no CDMA devices, and have no persistent Microsoft marketing. I think AT&T is the main one running WP7 commercials these days, and that's because they're trying to move their backlog of stock.

They would start with a nice minimum hardware spec and a pretty decent app catalog, but where does Nokia go from there? If the Samsung Focus with 4" Super AMOLED screen wasn't a major hit, how is Nokia going to top that hardware form factor? By putting on a better camera?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even if they pick a platform, their execution speed is molasses slow right now.

I think people talk Meego or Android or WP7, but honestly, they had a winner with Maemo. It's a great-at-multitasking OS they would essentially own - like WebOS - and it's already running on good hardware like the N900. They've already got Nokia apps like Ovi Maps up and running on it. Just polish it, rebrand it slightly, and blitz the US with a suite of Maemo devices subsidized on all four carriers.
    From all the conversations I've had with Nokia staff it seems clear they have an incredibility complex approval process, which means that if R&D comes up with a killer screen, by the time the approval process has run though, it's out of date because it's 12 months later - and you still then have to go to the individual product groups and try and get it to incorporate it into their designs.

As you say, they simply cannot do things quickly enough. Also I think they are hurt by turning out some many variations of the same thing, you can literally have 30 phones in a product group which are largely identical with minor variations. So along with slimming down the management structure, I think Nokia needs to turn out few phones with more focus on each.

The CEO's article is also interesting because it also outlines a problem that all of the major players are starting to face - the Indian and Chinese players undercutting and outperforming them in their home markets. Over time, this will bleed into the European and American markets - which is why ZTE now sells more phones than RIM.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/09/2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Didn't Nokia have this to say about Android phone makers...

According to Anssi Vanjoki, CEO of Nokia, the Android platform only represents a short-term solution that will have consequences down the line. In an attempt to help us all understand his point of view, he oh-so-gracefully stated that manufacturers who do use Android aren’t any better than Finnish boys who “pee their pants” to stay warm during the cold winter months.
    What would make WP7 any better? OR have they had a change of heart?

Source: Nokia CEO Anssi Vanjoki likens Android to peeing your pants to stay warm
    They need to just choose between th two platforms they have. the problem is they havent decided. but if they go with the maemo they will be alright. look at the N900, it can play android games and webos games. its Linux based just like Webos. put better hardware behind it and they have one scary OS!
    The only difference with WP7 is that it's nascent, and so they don't have to try to catch up to considerable leads built up by Samsung and HTC like they would in the Android space. A WP7 device with a great big screen, plus Nokia's optics and build quality would ostensibly leap to the head of the pack.
    Nokia knows how to make good hardware....i think it would be smart licensing Windows Phone 7. Find me a phone that takes better pictures than the Nokia 8.

Nokia N8 sample pictures - Engadget Galleries
    It's really too bad that Nokia and HP didn't link up to license HP WebOS. Nokia brings a few things to the table that HP lacks, such as a standalone maps engine (Ovi Maps), global mobile presence and great hardware construction.

Then again, I keep seeing Yahoo sitting out there without a partner for its YahooMaps engine and think that would make for a perfect match with HP WebOS to incorporate given that all the other major players (Google, Microsoft, even Apple) have their own.

Just food for thought....