1.    #1  
    so long palm pre... yesterday's sprint announcement was the nail in the coffin. got the optimus v and am in the process of porting it. imo the palm pre has good multitasking capability but compared to the overall features of android, speak text email apps and everything else, you may as well call it the palm priece of crap. i was a palm cheerleader for a long time and i no longer can drink the coolaid.

the optimus has a slower chip but yet still is faster and more responsive. the greatest thing is that i only pay $25 a month. yeah its only 300 minutes compared to sprint 450 for 69.99 but i can use skype to call my wife when she gets her android phone if im concerned about over usage.

$300 a yr compared to $840.... and its on the sprint network... now that you can port to google voice sprint forwarding isnt an issue. all this and no contract either. this was a no brainer for me. i know this all sounds harsh but it is the cold hard facts that pushed me over the top.

maybe others will defect too, or just wait for the kyocera 2screen, no 4g, battery hog. not me. i think the people who made the decision to go forward with the kyocera design are of the same cloth as those who named a grocery store in the south "piggly wiggly". as one facebook poster said aptly, "doesnt compute, its like a man wearing uggs"

so long precentral, maybe ill be back when palm has a better phone. so long sprint, it was a nice 12 year run.
    You mean you got a new phone when HP/Palm is about to announce new stuff tomorrow? Lol! And you had a 12 year run and 12 posts? Man I would have at least waited one more day before buying a new phone. If I do go android, it will most likely be an atrix i'd imagine. Resolution still isn't as good as the iPhone 4, but faster cpu.
    Virgin Mobile has NO roaming period. If you lose signal from a Sprint tower your dead in the water.

Prepaid Wireless - Virgin Mobile Prepaid Wireless Roaming Policy
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You mean you got a new phone when HP/Palm is about to announce new stuff tomorrow? Lol! And you had a 12 year run and 12 posts? Man I would have at least waited one more day before buying a new phone. If I do go android, it will most likely be an atrix i'd imagine. Resolution still isn't as good as the iPhone 4, but faster cpu.
    Its more than just a phone its the money savings and no matter what hp comes out with tomorrow it won't beat $30 a month.

Sfm Evo
  5.    #5  
    Sure those are all good points but not enough to beast 25 a month.I've got a month to try so of it sticks and palm wows with a great new phone I cam switch back. I meant12 years as a sprint customer. Swype is a sweet app as well.
    I'm considering the Optimus, or maybe the Intercept, in Virgin. So I'd love it if you stick around a little and tell us how you are liking your new phone.
  7.    #7  
    (i am on an ipad and dont have caps or punctuation on) sure, no prob. im not a palm hater, its just that they would have to come out with something that is so cool and has evo-like specs but more pocket friendly. The app store is the most disappointing since i can now deposit via mobile with my usaa acct and skype my wife to save on minutes, the swype technology is so cool. i was concerned with going to a screen keyboard but this makes up for it. also the android integrated speak to text is rad. i say "email sara hi honey ill be home on time tonite" and it composes the email on the fly and i just hit send. its really accurate and fully integrated into the buttons on the front. i think with the iphone you have to get an app for that so you have to search for it and open it etc etc.... speak to text features are, send a text, navigate to, send email, map of, go to on the web, call, note to self, directions to... and that is on android 2.2. the phone is upgradeable to 2.3 which will have more coolstuff to piggyback onto that. oh also forgot, just download the free app and you have a wireless hotspot for your ipad etc. battery life is really good too. i was on wifi for over 2 hours and battery went down 10%.

all this for $150/phone and $25 a month unlimited data 300 minutes. if you need more minutes, they have 1200 for $40 w/unlimited data. really hard to beat compared to sprint 400 unlimited data for $79 (69 for plan, 10 for data).

like i said palm needs a smash world series grand slam. the lack of apps still weighs on me huge. angry birds is fun and all but i need to be productive.

hope that helps. you can get the optimus s on sprint for free which is essentially the same as the optimus v. but you'll be spending $79 again...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Wow, I didn't realize that on iPads you had to pay extra for caps and punctuation

lol

Good luck with your decision
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by chadster View Post
    (i am on an ipad and dont have caps or punctuation on)...i was concerned with going to a screen keyboard but this makes up for it...
    You bought a product that is designed to make you seem like you do not understand English?

Why would anyone want an iPad?

HP, if you can just include caps and punctuation on your new tablet, iPad will be dead.

How could the iPad be so lame? And it appears that you do not have a <Return> key either?

All I can say is, Wow.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/09/2011 at 12:57 PM.
    You can choose to turn off all auto-correction in the settings on iOS, which I guess is what the OP did.

BTW OP, how much space do you have left for installing apps? That is my main concern about this phone, since there've been posts about very low storage left.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #11  
    Ha! Ok, now I will show that I can do caps on the iPad. Funny. The reason I turned off the auto cap was that when you go on sites and have to enter in your name and password the first letter always get capitalized which is annoying. So I guess I'd rather make it easier for me. It's not a big deal, I'm just lazy. I have the spell checker off because the keyboard is big enough to be able to type correctly. People using the iPhone tend to type without looking and just correct the words after they finish a sentence.

Regarding the ram issue...... It may not have enough built-in but there is "an app for that". It's free if you can deal with adware or pay $0.99 for it. Just get a big micro sd card (up to 32 GB) and you are good to go. Get a class 6 card since you don't want it to be laggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Its more than just a phone its the money savings and no matter what hp comes out with tomorrow it won't beat $30 a month.

Sfm Evo
    Yeah, wish we had plans like that here in Canada. Instead we just bend over and take it.
  13.    #13  
    after palm's "big reveal" yesterday i feel even more sure of my decision. you would have thought that they would have learned something from the sprint david blaine kyocera debacle. no word yesterday about sprint even being a provider.

here are the main reasons I went android, in particular the optimus v. please understand that i am not a palm hater. i had a treo 300, 600, 650, centro and pre. you just have to look at the facts...

i can only get sprint where i live so that was a huge consideration. the optimus price and plans are just too hard to pass up. virgin had crappy phones until this came along. it was perfect timing. though i am pretty sure i need to upgrade to the 1200 min plan but thats a piece of cake to do. $40 for that. if i really wind up being a minute hog, the unlimited everything is $60. also, no tax or fees or crap. comparably you're @ $129 with sprint.

the palm os is good, but not good enough to keep me. it will never have the kind of support that a leading edge company like google provides. developers are much better using their skills writing apps for an os that has the most potential for income. i think the android will eclipse Apple in phone OS share and sales.

if you are loyal to sprint, you can get the same exact phone for free with a 2yr agreement. its called the optimus s. if you are a consistent roamer then do sprint since virgin doesnt roam.

i would love to get a 4g phone right now, but ill take the $ saved and hold out until there is something great enough to warrant a contract. who knows, maybe virgin will have a 4g phone in the near future. after all they are a part of the sprint network.

ok, ive spent way too much time defending my switch so gotta go, i just signed up for phandroid and wanna go see some app recos. i hope i have helped some make an informed decision for their cell service and phone.