Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So Android runs apps under the Dalvik Java virtual machine. Since webOS is Linux and Dalvik runs on Linux, couldn't it simply be ported to webOS and then allow Pre/Pixi to run Android apps? Is it as simple as it sounds?

Would have to turn off LunaSysMgr to have enough memory, but it might just be doable. If Palm adds enough RAM in future devices, it could realistically run both together.

Since the licensing appears to be open source, couldn't even Palm officially add this with no license implication? Seems to be a sure way to give webOS an extra incentive and ensure longevity, even if Palm doesn't officially support it.

Dalvik virtual machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    would be sweet but have no clue...
  3.    #3  
    Dalvik licensing isn't clear to me but I found this...

Finally, by licensing Dalvik's source code under the Apache license, mobile phone carriers are more likely to adopt it since they can use and modify it without paying licensing fees.
    InfoQ: Dalvik, Android's virtual machine, generates significant debate
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    this would be gold it we had an android user
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Dalvik licensing isn't clear to me but I found this...

InfoQ: Dalvik, Android's virtual machine, generates significant debate
    thanks a ton
    Hi Everybody!!!
    How would you gain access to the android app catalog without being on the Android platform?
    Not practical (never say impossible). The JVM is just one of many layers:

Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    How would you gain access to the android app catalog without being on the Android platform?
    Well we can assume all apps might not work out of the box so it would be smart to download the compatible apps in a preware type repository made just for WebOS.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Bump! Any progress here? I downloaded the source for ConnectBot (a rather nice ssh client for Android) to play with, but I don't know where to begin a port. It seems like it would be easier to get the jvm running on WebOS than to translate code.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You'd have to use the native SDK to port any code.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I think that if we want to use some Android App on Palm webOS, there is a solution only if we have the Android source code for these apps with :
    android-dalvik-vm-on-java

This project is here :
    android-dalvik-vm-on-java - Project Hosting on Google Code

This project need improvement for a better Android support.
    Ok WebOS internals or other group - lets get this project accomplished. If the Meego people can do it, then it's obvious all the WebOS talent should have no problems getting it working!
    Interesting...

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Interesting indeed. Given that webOS games are easily ported (copied) to MeeGo, I hope an alien dalvik for webOS will follow soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Interesting indeed. Given that webOS games are easily ported (copied) to MeeGo, I hope an alien dalvik for webOS will follow soon.
    My thought exactly. This could bridge the gap of app catalog size, minus of course any apps that use hardware not found in a Pre/Pixi. We should know tomorrow about the future device(s) and any additional hardware they may have under the hood.
    If they can get every mobile OS out there running Alien Dalvik to use Android apps everywhere, it will definitely neutralize the app store advantage. I'd also like to see this happen.
    I wonder why they started with Meego. That platform is going nowhere.
    Sry, didn't realize this was being discussed here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...k-java-vm.html

This should probably be merged?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    first thing I thought when I saw the news of 'Alien Dalvik' is if QT can get ported to webos, this should be a no-brainer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast