1.    #1  
    Interesting viewpoint on why developing first makes sense.

http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/...webos-tablets/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    3) People using iOS and Android will hear about it.
    Off who? That requires a critical mass of users, I have never meet a single person with a WebOS device (I saw a woman on an escalator once but I think she thought I was checking out her legs because I was staring to make sure).
    There are some valid points here. Ground floor is good if the platform takes off. Unfortunately the author seems to be talking from his hip more than from good research. For example, there is no need to guess which version of Android to target since Google publishes a pie chart showing this information. Last I checked there were around 90%-95% users on v2.x. Not much "guessing" needed there.
    That article has a noticeable air of desperation to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Off who? That requires a critical mass of users, I have never meet a single person with a WebOS device (I saw a woman on an escalator once but I think she thought I was checking out her legs because I was staring to make sure).
    Come to think of it, I've never seen one webos device in the wild either... that's sad.

Sfm Evo
    I wouldn't say it's desperate.

It's just that too much of the argument is made on assumptions. HP is going to highlight individual apps in their ads? People using iOS or Android will "hear about" what's going with WebOS? You "don't even try" to get noticed on Apple and Android app stores? That's news to Rovio/Angry Birds who hit when Apple was well over 100,000 apps and became a 12 million units sold sensation organically. Instagram came way later than that, yet was almost an instant hit.

The most troubling part is that there's not a case being made because of WebOS' great development tools, awesome devices, or mindshare. It's basically..."Hey, this is a backdoor shortcut to the Apple and Android stores". If that becomes a prevalent mindset among developers, look for WebOS to continue scraping the bottom with junk apps and ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Come to think of it, I've never seen one webos device in the wild either... that's sad.
    I've seen one.
    I've seen a couple. Prbly 3 or 4 just out and about and another 6-7 at the bar I go to. Nvr seen a Pixi though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Interesting. I have a Pre, so perhaps I am more inclined to notice it. I certainly see more Android and iPhone devices than Pres, but I see other ones in the wild on a regular basis. Perhaps it helps that I take a commuter train every day, and see hundreds of different people fiddling with smart phones as a result.
    Here in San Francisco, I've only seen one Pre "in the wild". I ride the train /almost/ every day so I'm exposed to a lot of people with their faces shoved in their smart phones. Last year, it was generally almost all iPhone's; today it's about about 70/30 iPhone/Android that I see daily.