Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    There is absolutely no way this Xoom thing will compete against the iPad at $800.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...The reason the first iPad competitors had 7" screens is because they couldn't get a competitive 10" screen. I don't think anyone can build an iPad competitor for what Apple can. These prices are high because they have to be, not for some strategic purpose, IMO.
    I don't know as I agree with that. The first Android tablets were definitely marketed at a cheaper price because, well, Android SUCKS as a tablet interface. Eclair and Froyo were not ready for mainstream tablet users, and neither was Gingerbread. Android tablets were trying to compete on price point.

I do agree there is no way in hell you're going to see a feature rich 10" tablet at below $500, WiFi only or not. I don't understand for the life of me why people in this forum don't get it. A 10" multi-touch HD screen is incredibly expensive. You're talking about a screen that has nearly 10x the surface area of a Palm Pre 2's screen, yet people think it's going to be cheaper than the Palm Pre 2? LOL, get real.

A 7" tablet has a screen area only 50% of a 10" tablet, thus a $400 price point for is MUCH more reasonable.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Everybody is comparing the Xoom to the almost year old iPad... Is that fair? iPad 2 is due in another month or so. That will be it's real competition.
    Bottom line, Apple has said a reasonable point of entry in the tablet market is $499.00.

That's the target. I don't care if the Xoom has the iPad or iPad 2 on specs, etc, it's not going to matter.

Either you give the customer an option @ $499, or you are dooming yourself to fail, it's that simple.
    Everyone is talking about the subsidized price of the iPad correct? (After service agreements and what not)

So, $800 is a ton of money to not get any discount on price but I'm assuming there will be but if not that's ridiculous.
    Sprint Love
    I would be really surprised to see the iPad 2 deviate a lot from the original iPad. Maybe a faster processor, better battery, camera, and 4G, but thats about it. I expect the Xoom will outspec the iPad 2 pretty easily.

Apple does not have a history of really pushing a completely new technology in it's next gen devices. Look at the iPhone vs. iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3Gs vs. iPhone 4. The development was absolutely tepid. For the 3G they added, da daaaa 3G, and that's about it. For the 3GS they added a faster processor and a better camera. The iPhone 4 was clearly the largest leap. Faster processor, better camera AND a 640x960 display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Bottom line, Apple has said a reasonable point of entry in the tablet market is $499.00.

That's the target. I don't care if the Xoom has the iPad or iPad 2 on specs, etc, it's not going to matter.

Either you give the customer an option @ $499, or you are dooming yourself to fail, it's that simple.
    Sorry you can't afford a top of the line tablet. The $499 price point is not relevant for a device with 3G/4G capability. A $699 price point, for 32GB+ of storage, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Everyone is talking about the subsidized price of the iPad correct? (After service agreements and what not)

So, $800 is a ton of money to not get any discount on price but I'm assuming there will be but if not that's ridiculous.
    I do not believe the iPad is being subsidized by any carriers since the 3G option does not involve a contract. A 32GB 3G iPad costs $729, so $800 for a tablet with a few more features isn't that ridiculous. Now if that was the price for a wi-fi only 16GB tablet, then the complaints would certainly be justified.
    Looks like the Xoom will be even more expensive.

Motorola Xoom up for pre-order at Best Buy this Thursday... for $1,199? -- Engadget

That price will still require a service with Verizon. This is not good.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But the article also says:

Update: We've heard rumblings that this is indeed just a price holder -- much like the way other companies price products they don't want to sell at ridiculous levels -- and the final price will indeed be the $800 we've heard most consistently to this point.
    Good catch. That update wasn't there when I posted. That still sends a message to perspective buyers.
    My guess. Apple still has iPads being produced. There will still be some in the distribution channel when iPad 2 is launched.

iPad will get discounted below $499. iPad 2 won't be above $599. Given both iPads below Xoom, there is simply no way that non-Googlites will buy a Xoom. Hell, the MacBook Air is at $1000.

It may be that Apple's control over pricing of materials in China has given them more of an edge than we thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    My guess. Apple still has iPads being produced. There will still be some in the distribution channel when iPad 2 is launched.

iPad will get discounted below $499. iPad 2 won't be above $599. Given both iPads below Xoom, there is simply no way that non-Googlites will buy a Xoom. Hell, the MacBook Air is at $1000.

It may be that Apple's control over pricing of materials in China has given them more of an edge than we thought.
    This is irony squared. Competition is supposed to push prices down. Yet, less than a year after the iPad was released, competing products are more expensive, not less. Irony #1. Apple is the price leader. Irony #2. After competitors enter the market, Apple has room to raise prices and still be the price leader. With the exception of Tim Cook, I don't think anyone saw this coming.
    Agree with you there Dan. I can see the iPad2 coming out at 50-100 over the Xoom, as most Apple products are sold at premiums.
    I see pandas.
    I think hp should make the touchpad half the price of the xoom for the highest grade. I think it would be best for hp to just get their webos products out instead of focusing on $. Give the world a taste of webos, they'll realize functionality, productivity, and smoothness of webos. Get everybody on board and get them to drink the koolaid, build a strong loyal fanbase and then the moohlah will be pouring in.
    I hope they do head units for cars, medical monitoring systems, kiosks, smart grids, point of sales, etc. Everything
    I don't think that's bad pricing, not for it's specs.
    It's pretty competitive. And since HP will be offering a 16GB TouchPad whereas Motorola's floor is 32GB, HP should be able to match the $499 wifi 16GB iPad pricing just like Motorola matched the $600 32GB Wifi iPad pricing.

Key word: Should.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's pretty competitive. And since HP will be offering a 16GB TouchPad whereas Motorola's floor is 32GB, HP should be able to match the $499 wifi 16GB iPad pricing just like Motorola matched the $600 32GB Wifi iPad pricing.

Key word: Should.
    Doesn't the Xoom allow for 64gb? I understood it had 32 internal, and a slot for up to a 32gb sd card. This makes quite a big difference.
    True. But I don't think these tablets will be allowed Netflix or Hulu per this ridiculous cluster-you-know-what involving DRM only enabled sufficiently on next-gen Snapdragon chips for Android. Maybe Google offers their own video store, or maybe XDA developers come up with a root workaround to allow Hulu (they already do on many custom Froyo ROMs) and Netflix streaming.

But if HP actually has this "HP Movie Store" locked up with firm licensing agreements, they need to announce that part of their TouchPad ecosystem ASAP to gain a competitive advantage over the Xoom, which launches in 10 days or so. A lot of HP's "I am interested in a tablet, but haven't bought an iPad for some reason" demographic is going to give the Xoom a once over.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast