Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ummm, not to point out the obvious, but the Xoom IS priced competitively. A 3G iPad with 32GB is $729 and with 64GB it jumps to $829. The Xoom is even 4G ready currently.

There is no way you'll see an HP tablet worth buying with any 3G/4G service much under $600. If there is a wifi version only, maybe.

Why would anybody think a tablet would be cheaper than a phone? $400? Can you at least be a little realistic? The Palm Pre 2 without contract was $450 with it's puny 3.1" screen. Now you're talking about 9.7" screen and you think it'll be cheaper?
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin6 View Post
    What hardware? Tegra 2? The same Tegra 2 in the $380 Gtablet or the $400 Notion Ink? Putting 1gb of ram instead of 512 doesn't add much price. They have a slightly better screen, but still, not that much. They could charge maybe $200 more than the other tegra tablets and still be raping customers with their absurd margin.

The thing that probably ****es me off the most is that they think their tablet should cost as much as laptops with FAR better specs, all while using an OS that they got for free...

I have the money to purchase one and was planning on it before the price was announced, but now will not give it a second thought. If the Nook color had a FFC, I would have already purchased one. Come on HP or MWC!
    To be fair, they have a significantly more expensive and higher resolution/quality display, which probably adds a good bit to the price. Same goes for the front-facing camera and rear cameras. 32GB card. 1GB of RAM. I mean, I wouldn't equate this to a G-tablet or Notion Ink.

The problem is that they are coming in gunning for the mid-to-top-of-the-line iPad 3G (32GB). Until someone comes in gunning for the $500 16GB WiFi model, this will be a pretty lopsided market. Maybe HP will be the first.
    I think the Xoom is aimed at the right spot right now. The high end of the "tablet" market. It's definitely the highest end tablet out there and blows away the ipad. Obviously, Moto isn't looking to take a lot of marketshare but instead carve out their niche. You have to believe there's enough of an android base that wants premium. A lower version can be release later or they can shift strategy.

On the storage end, the Xoom has 32gb internal. And can take another 32gb sd card. It's also 4G upgradeable.

Will HP follow this pricing? I don't think they can. At least the Xoom has android 3.0 and millions familiar with android to leverage and better marketing.

For those comparing this with laptops..laptops wins the value game every time. These things aren't laptops though.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Ummm, not to point out the obvious, but the Xoom IS priced competitively. A 3G iPad with 32GB is $729 and with 64GB it jumps to $829. The Xoom is even 4G ready currently.

There is no way you'll see an HP tablet worth buying with any 3G/4G service much under $600. If there is a wifi version only, maybe.

Why would anybody think a tablet would be cheaper than a phone? $400? Can you at least be a little realistic? The Palm Pre 2 without contract was $450 with it's puny 3.1" screen. Now you're talking about 9.7" screen and you think it'll be cheaper?
    Agreed. The only way HP could put out a tablet device anywhere close to the Xoom specs for under $650 is if it's made out of the same cheap components used in the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Agreed. The only way HP could put out a tablet device anywhere close to the Xoom specs for under $650 is if it's made out of the same cheap components used in the Pre.
    The profit for these thing are roughly 50%, there is nothing stopping HPalm from selling it at a low profit, to grab the market share. If apple has anything to be learned, its looks, marketing and ecosysyem. Look at xbox, sold at loss years ago, now becomes one of the big three.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The profit for these thing are roughly 50%, there is nothing stopping HPalm from selling it at a low profit, to grab the market share.
    Actually, there are. It's called US carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Actually, there are. It's called US carriers.
    Informal poll at this forum suggested 85% of ppl are going to buy wifi version, there is nothing stopping HPalm from deliver products free of carriers' control.
    Unlike Moto, HP does have a lively online store and retail partnership with many stores.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The other problem with that is the direction in which Leo is trying to steer the ship - all of the analysts think that there is going to be a concentration on increasing margins and reducing areas of activity (to try and drive up the quality of profits), accepting lower margins doesn't seem to fit with that broad direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Informal poll at this forum suggested 85% of ppl are going to buy wifi version, there is nothing stopping HPalm from deliver products free of carriers' control.
    Unlike Moto, HP does have a lively online store and retail partnership with many stores.
    Did you see how many SKUs they had listed for 3G/LTE versions of their tablets? Let's see how well the carriers will promote their hardware when HP is undercutting them.
    All HP/Palm tablets, even WiFi only, are absolutely under the controls of the carriers if there is ANY plan to add a version with 3G/4G. If you stab the carriers in the back by allowing a super cheap WiFi only version, the Sprint's/Verizon's/AT&T's of the world will not want to touch the tiny webOS market share devices.

In fact, there's a prime example of that with the Xoom right now. All Xoom's have to be activated with Verizon for at least one month, even if you don't want to use Verizon going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    should b 500 or less if comparable to ipad. Up to double that for full steam games support, with ability to run all steam games smoothly w/o crashes
    It's nice to dream, isn't it?
    All HP/Palm tablets, even WiFi only, are absolutely under the controls of the carriers if there is ANY plan to add a version with 3G/4G. If you stab the carriers in the back by allowing a super cheap WiFi only version, the Sprint's/Verizon's/AT&T's of the world will not want to touch the tiny webOS market share devices.

In fact, there's a prime example of that with the Xoom right now. All Xoom's have to be activated with Verizon for at least one month, even if you don't want to use Verizon going forward.
    We'll have to see if that holds up. I think that rumor will turn up false because it seems to me like that would be the carriers essentially shooting themselves in the foot. If they strangle all the other platforms then all that will be left will be Apple's platform and they'll be left at the mercy of Apple.
    It's nice to dream, isn't it?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    We'll have to see if that holds up. I think that rumor will turn up false because it seems to me like that would be the carriers essentially shooting themselves in the foot. If they strangle all the other platforms then all that will be left will be Apple's platform and they'll be left at the mercy of Apple.
    I don't think it's a rumor. Best Buy might make a last minute alteration due to outcry, but by and large, carriers are not offering tablets at cut rate prices even with subsidies. They're the ones who set the pricing for the Galaxy Tab, and they will not sell HP tablets cheaper than that ($399-650).

It's not about strangling other platforms, but rather wringing every drop of profitability they can from what they can control. They're not going to be able to control Apple, and likewise, they're likely not going to let other manufacturers put them in the same position.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    $399-$499 is going to be the sweet spot...at least it will be if I'm the typical consumer. I can't justify any more than that for a class of equipment that will only come down in pricing.
    Agreed If it's 399-499 I'm getting 2-3 if it's more then I might not get any
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    $399-$499 is going to be the sweet spot...at least it will be if I'm the typical consumer. I can't justify any more than that for a class of equipment that will only come down in pricing.
    I agree that this is the price for the consumer market and it is the end-users who now drive the corporate market as well.

I hope that HP does not think that they will go after the High Priced "corporate market". It is evaporating.
    800 bucks for a tablet? No way, never! For that money you can get a middle class gaming notebook. The tablet shouldn't be much less expensive than the iPad but also not more expensive. I think 400-600 bucks is a good price for a tablet.
  18.    #58  
    how is this a cross platform chat? I just referenced the Xoom for its price. The discussion here is solely on the HP Palmpad/ Topaz price
    Why is everyone assuming that Moto, Sammy, HP, or anyone else has the ability to price a good tablet at $499 other than Apple? Perhaps the most ingenious thing Apple did back in the iPod days was to buy up practically all of the supply of HDs, then ram, now touchscreens of a certain size and quality. No one has the economy of scale like Apple when it comes to these kinds of devices.

Apple can buy out whole manufacturing plants. The reason the first iPad competitors had 7" screens is because they couldn't get a competitive 10" screen. I don't think anyone can build an iPad competitor for what Apple can. These prices are high because they have to be, not for some strategic purpose, IMO.
    For $800 I won't touch a tablet. I can get a super thin laptop for that money with way way better specs. If Hp puts out a tablet for around $500-600 I'll consider it, but nothing more than that.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast